Lucas neill

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby sworth26 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:37 pm

I think Blackburn will dig their heels in and hold on to him until the end of his contract and hope he changes his mind
sworth26

Postby GOAT » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:00 pm

sworth26 wrote:I think Blackburn will dig their heels in and hold on to him until the end of his contract and hope he changes his mind

Well apparently with new rules players over 28 can buy out thier contract if they only have a year left so maybe blackburn will eventually sell because of that
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby puroresu » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:26 pm

Oasis wrote:
puroresu wrote:Sorin is available from Villarreal.  His cheap as well.  Far better option than Neil

I take it you have never heard of this old saying 'Money doesn't grow on trees'. He might well be a 'better option' but I'd imagine he'll cost us an arm and a leg, so I'd take Niell.

sorin is cheap. Bolton was going to get him but he didnt want to go there. Anyway isnt Sorin a LB so doesnt matter anyway. 

Argentina skipper Juan Pablo Sorin could be set for a switch to Hamburg, according to reports in the German media.

The 30-year-old defender has fallen out with Villarreal coach Manuel Pellegrini and wants to leave the Spanish outfit for pastures new, with Hamburg having reportedly tabled a €3 million (£2 million) bid.

Sorin is expected to travel to the northern port city at the beginning of this week for further talks.

And, pending an agreement with director of sport Dietmar Beiersdorfer, he could be offered a four-year contract at The AOL-Arena.
puroresu

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:27 pm

He's going for £3million, what's that all about, is he in the last year of his contract with Villarreal?
48-1119859832

Postby laza » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:22 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Rafa's sure going to a lot of trouble to make sure we get out of Ewood Park alive this season.  Buying up all of their thuggish players is a bit unorthodox but I suppose it if they're on our bench they can't break our legs. :D

LOL i never thought of that

Well if we do get him for only 2 million, i think its a pretty good deal considering he can play in the centre as well.

Not sure Finnian will be packing his bags anytime soon though but it would certainly be better cover then what we currently have
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:29 pm

laza wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Rafa's sure going to a lot of trouble to make sure we get out of Ewood Park alive this season.  Buying up all of their thuggish players is a bit unorthodox but I suppose it if they're on our bench they can't break our legs. :D

LOL i never thought of that

Well if we do get him for only 2 million, i think its a pretty good deal considering he can play in the centre as well.

Not sure Finnian will be packing his bags anytime soon though but it would certainly be better cover then what we currently have

Pretty much my thoughts as well, mate.  I'm not best pleased with this guy coming given the past unpleasantness but, objectively, he has battling qualities that will suit some of our league and cup fixtures this term and his versatility might offer us good cover across the back line.  He will not, IMO, cause Finnan to lose any sleep but he could come in very handy should there be injuries to Finnan or others.  If he does come I will grudgingly wipe the slate clean and support the lad.  If he doesn't come, however, I'll continue thinking he's a bit of a kunt! :D

On the flipside, I guess Kromkamp is off given how aggressively we're going after Neill today.  Based on what I've seen I guess I'm not surprised yet it's too bad he didn't settle and push Finnan a little harder for his place (not that I'm looking to get rid of Finnan, mind--I'm just in favour of competition for places).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:42 pm

Competition is good..........before Josemi arrived, i think most people would have happily shown the door to Finnian without a second thought

While Josemi turned out to be a failure, his arrival certainly seem to spark Finnian

Always like Neill when he is in the green and gold, he just a thug when in the blue. If become he become red then i just admire those battling qualities  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:15 pm

john craig wrote:No thanks.

The fact he's a dirty fecker doesn't bother me, you need a few players like that in your team.  It's his lack of footballing ability that would be the problem.  He's competitive alright and decent in the air and the tackle, but positionally he gets caught out at times and he gets some serious rushes of blood to the head judging by some of his decision making - just watch the Australia - Italy match from the world cup.

Finnan's a better player and given more time to adapt to the league I wouldn't rule out Kromkamp being better than him either.  The Kromkamp criticism has been way over the top on this forum imo.  He's had less than half a dozen starts for us in his favoured position of right back FFS.  He wasn't great against Sheff Utd, but for me higher profile players like Fowler and Sissoko were more of a let down in that game.

Very true about Kromkamp there!!

I cant belive some people,how quick they can be to make their minds up about players they know nothing to little about!

Some people on here are like the tabloid papers in their  judgements.Sh.it player one minute...hero the next!
If Kromkamp was to score the winning goal aginst Everton lots would be saying he's been a wonder signing...a great player!

As for Lucas Neil....no thanks.
Simply because he is no improvement of what we have.We need to be taking upward steps,not backwards.
So he had a good world cup...still not a good enough player for LFC in my opinion.
66-1120597113

Postby Raj_Xedos » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:38 pm

i think that rafa is trying to make competition for places a whole lot stronger,

he's trying to get atleast two quality players for each position, kromkamp has already struggled in the positions and if he does go, we have no cover for finnan.

Rafa isnt stupid, if kromkamp does go to PSV, who would be cover for Finnan if he does get injured??
Raj_Xedos

Postby skipper » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:24 am

No doubt Rafa wants some backup for Finnan.  Competition couldn't hurt either.  Neill's a battler and the competition can make both players better.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:10 am

Apparently, it has been reported in the Independent that Rafa is trying with some effort to land Neill, whom he took a liking to after seeing Neill's displays for Australia in the World Cup finals.

Liverpool clear decks to make room for £4m Neill
By Andy Hunter
Published: 31 August 2006
Liverpool will spend the final 24 hours of the transfer window attempting to raise funds for their manager Rafael Benitez, despite having a £2m bid for Lucas Neill rejected by Blackburn Rovers last night.

Liverpool had hoped to clear a path for the Australian international's arrival by offloading at least five players deemed surplus to requirements by Benitez before the transfer deadline. Though Rovers thwarted those ambitions by rebuffing the offer of cash plus Stephen Warnock for Neill, the Liverpool fire sale will continue regardless today with Jan Kromkamp, Salif Diao, Florent Sinama-Pongolle and Neil Mellor all expected to depart.

Mellor began the clearance when he signed a three-year contract with Preston North End yesterday for a fee in the region of £500,000. Sinama-Pongolle is due to join Spanish club Recreativo de Heulva on a season-long loan, while Diao is also wanted by the newly promoted La Liga side, and Kromkamp is in line for a £1.5m move to Liverpool's Champions' League group opponents, PSV Eindhoven. Both the Kromkamp and Diao deals, however, are dependent on the players agreeing personal terms and, as of last night, neither was in a position to accept.

Kromkamp moved to Anfield only in January, in a swap deal for Josemi from Villarreal, but has made little impression and favours a return to the Netherlands. Liverpool are prepared to allow Diao to leave on a free transfer if he accepts a permanent move from the club, although the midfielder, signed for £5m by former manager Gérard Houllier in 2003, is reluctant to join Recreativo and would prefer to remain in the Premiership. Portsmouth, where Diao spent the latter half of last season on loan, is a favoured destination.

The departures will enable Liverpool to move again in the transfer market after they budgeted for Champions' League qualification before their place in the group stages was secure.

Benitez has not given up on Neill but, with Blackburn determined to retain a player who has only 12 months remaining on his Ewood Park contract and has declined the offer to extend his stay, Liverpool may have to double their offer.

Neill was responsible for breaking Jamie Carragher's leg in a horrific challenge at Blackburn in 2003, but that will not deter Liverpool from making a final enquiry today, with an improved cash payment or the inclusion of both Warnock and Sinama-Pongolle in a deal worth £4m representing their best hope.

One player who is not scheduled to leave Anfield today is Neill's compatriot Harry Kewell. The Liverpool winger has been linked with a move to Tottenham.

Liverpool, however, would consider only a permanent move for Kewell, who has two years of a £60,000-a-week contract remaining at Anfield. Kewell's agent, Bernie Mandic, said last night: "There has never been a single word from anyone at Liverpool about Harry leaving."

Liverpool will spend the final 24 hours of the transfer window attempting to raise funds for their manager Rafael Benitez, despite having a £2m bid for Lucas Neill rejected by Blackburn Rovers last night.

Liverpool had hoped to clear a path for the Australian international's arrival by offloading at least five players deemed surplus to requirements by Benitez before the transfer deadline. Though Rovers thwarted those ambitions by rebuffing the offer of cash plus Stephen Warnock for Neill, the Liverpool fire sale will continue regardless today with Jan Kromkamp, Salif Diao, Florent Sinama-Pongolle and Neil Mellor all expected to depart.

Mellor began the clearance when he signed a three-year contract with Preston North End yesterday for a fee in the region of £500,000. Sinama-Pongolle is due to join Spanish club Recreativo de Heulva on a season-long loan, while Diao is also wanted by the newly promoted La Liga side, and Kromkamp is in line for a £1.5m move to Liverpool's Champions' League group opponents, PSV Eindhoven. Both the Kromkamp and Diao deals, however, are dependent on the players agreeing personal terms and, as of last night, neither was in a position to accept.

Kromkamp moved to Anfield only in January, in a swap deal for Josemi from Villarreal, but has made little impression and favours a return to the Netherlands. Liverpool are prepared to allow Diao to leave on a free transfer if he accepts a permanent move from the club, although the midfielder, signed for £5m by former manager Gérard Houllier in 2003, is reluctant to join Recreativo and would prefer to remain in the Premiership. Portsmouth, where Diao spent the latter half of last season on loan, is a favoured destination.
The departures will enable Liverpool to move again in the transfer market after they budgeted for Champions' League qualification before their place in the group stages was secure.

Benitez has not given up on Neill but, with Blackburn determined to retain a player who has only 12 months remaining on his Ewood Park contract and has declined the offer to extend his stay, Liverpool may have to double their offer.

Neill was responsible for breaking Jamie Carragher's leg in a horrific challenge at Blackburn in 2003, but that will not deter Liverpool from making a final enquiry today, with an improved cash payment or the inclusion of both Warnock and Sinama-Pongolle in a deal worth £4m representing their best hope.

One player who is not scheduled to leave Anfield today is Neill's compatriot Harry Kewell. The Liverpool winger has been linked with a move to Tottenham.

Liverpool, however, would consider only a permanent move for Kewell, who has two years of a £60,000-a-week contract remaining at Anfield. Kewell's agent, Bernie Mandic, said last night: "There has never been a single word from anyone at Liverpool about Harry leaving."

I think that 4 million pounds is a bit too steep for Neill.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:56 pm

If Lucas Niell was English £4million wouldn't be a problem would it? It would be considered pretty cheap. £4million is a small price to pay in terms of what players are being bought for nowadays.

I'd happily see Lucas arrive for £4million to £4.5million for his services. Krapkomp is off to PSV, and we need someone who will do the job to a decent standard and Lucas fits the bill.
48-1119859832

Postby igorbiscuit » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:19 am

Oasis wrote:If Lucas Niell was English £4million wouldn't be a problem would it? It would be considered pretty cheap. £4million is a small price to pay in terms of what players are being bought for nowadays.

I'd happily see Lucas arrive for £4million to £4.5million for his services. Krapkomp is off to PSV, and we need someone who will do the job to a decent standard and Lucas fits the bill.

its not a matter of nationality - get it right

FFS 4 million - hes 29 in march. hardly a bargain is it? we bought steve finnan for 4 million. and why spend the same for someone likely to sit as backup? unless hes young and can learn for a couple of years to develop into our replacement for steve finnan

and considering his poor disciplinary record in the past 2 years it was a poor move

4 million - save the cash for someone else. never know about alves, with 4 million you're halfway there almost  :laugh:  (example, not exactly saying we should go for him)
igorbiscuit

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:14 am

Unless Rafa is going to play with wing back Alves is pretty much wasted the lad cannot defend, therefore he is not a defender. Lucas was the better person to go for, but it didn't happen.  :no
48-1119859832

Postby Alonso14 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:27 pm

Oasis wrote:Unless Rafa is going to play with wing back Alves is pretty much wasted the lad cannot defend, therefore he is not a defender. Lucas was the better person to go for, but it didn't happen.  :no

Fu.ck me, are you Lucus's agent or he's butt fu.cker.

I agree that he's a decent player, but get over it we didn't get him.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill