January signings - Glen johnson and emile heskey

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby roberto green » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:25 pm

It's coming to that time of year again when we can add to our squad and maybe this could be the most important January in our history in terms of signing new players,obviously in the position we are we could do with that bit of quality to come in and to give us that bit extra for the remainder of the season.

The two players that are getting talked about which i can see materializing are Glen Johnson and Emile Heskey.

Glen Johnson-I think this would be a very sensible option and even tho i haven't seen much of him i have herd all the pundits give him rave reviews and he would be quite cheap.Of course this would mean the end of Dossena and maybe Aurellio seeing that Insua has come through so this would get my vote as Dossena's fee would pay for Johnson.

Emile Heskey-Now this is the one thay would split the vote because i just don't think we need him unless we get rid of Dirk Kuyt and could make some money through the cheaper option which is Emile and sell Kuyt to make the money for future transfers.But if were keeping Kuyt i wouldn't want heskey too they would both be bumping into each other on the pitch so this would get my NO.

We have made some good signings the past few years at this time but in my eyes this January holds the key

So who is a realistic target come january?
Also on the opposite side who would we like to see go?
roberto green

Postby Greavesie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:28 pm

I'm not sure about either of the players mentioned. Do either improve our squad? My immediate reaction would be no.

If we're talking about who to sign I'm guessing it's ok to discuss who we wouldn't mind leaving...or is that best left in a different thread?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Perija » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 pm

good signings,even I am doubting about Heskey`s fitness. he was always good player,no question. where are moderators?
Perija

Postby roberto green » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:35 pm

Greavesie wrote:I'm not sure about either of the players mentioned. Do either improve our squad? My immediate reaction would be no.

If we're talking about who to sign I'm guessing it's ok to discuss who we wouldn't mind leaving...or is that best left in a different thread?

Good point have edited it.

Cheers mate

:)
roberto green

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:36 pm

I think johnson would be decent if we could get him at a good price. From what I've seen he seems to be having a decent season and is living up to the promise he showed in the early stages of his career. Heskey would not be my choice though, i have to say. We do lack someone who can lead the line on his own when Torres is out, but we should just play two up front in this situation. If were gonna sign an ex striker in january surely the only one that can be considered is owen, injury prone or not. Imagine Heskey and Kuyt on the same field, i think id probably kill myself.:D
columbia

Postby dawson99 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:45 pm

Aren't these signings just rumours at the moment?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:48 pm

dawson99 wrote:Aren't these signings just rumours at the moment?

Yeah they are but they are the most likely and the topic also asks the question on who you would like to see and who you would like to see go.The 2 players in question are just examples of players i can see us getting and are the realistic targets. :grinning:
roberto green

Postby Fo Dne » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:29 pm

For a start Glenn Johnson is a right back, not a left back so it would have absoloutely no bearing on Insua, Aurelio or Dossena.

He would be an excellent signing and is probably one of the best right backs in the league. I however doubt Rafa would want him as he's a good footballer, would improve the squad and push Arbeloa out of the team.

Also the fact that I suggested him earlier in the season will obviously get some posters backs right up and prompt more people who don't know what they're talking about to comment on him.

Defensively he's not as good alround as Arbeloa and he's not as good in the air which may weaken the defence. If he is to sign its imperritive we play him to his strengths, which are overlapping, getting crosses in and receiving the ball in the attacking half of the pitch. Especially against the better sides he will probably be targeted for Arial bombardments diagnol balls etc. He is however quick and good at getting close to wingers which is two things Arbeloa isn't. He will in my be a massive improvement on Arbeloa IF used properly.

One thing I will say is the slight defensive weakening of the side will in my opinion be worth it for the massive attacking improvement he'll bring. Its not as if many teams put us under the cosh anyway.

It will however leave us slightly more vunerable from set peices. If you then include Insua as the first choice left back then we're really struggling from players who are arially dominant.

Onto Heskey, I'm sorry but no! We've been there, seen it, done it, wasn't good enough the first time, won't be this time. Infact, thats probably wrong... He is good enough once every seven or eight games, more than good enough infact, but he doesn't score enough goals consistently, misses to many chances, is a bottler and isn't aggressive enough on a consistent basis.

We do need a target man. But he's not the answer. If he had shown the sort of form he was in, in his first full season at Liverpool then I'd re-consider, but he's never produced that sort of form in any other season in his Career and at 30, going on 31 he's not about to in my eyes.

He is however better than Kuyt.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Fo Dne wrote:For a start Glenn Johnson is a right back, not a left back so it would have absoloutely no bearing on Insua, Aurelio or Dossena.

He would be an excellent signing and is probably one of the best right backs in the league. I however doubt Rafa would want him as he's a good footballer, would improve the squad and push Arbeloa out of the team.

I started reading your post Stu an thought :censored: hell i agree with him Johnson good signing if we got him. Then it went haywire. Do you honestly believe that Rafa wouldnt sign him because hes a good footballer. Yeh i know its a dig at Rafa an you cant help yourself but, it dosnt say alot for the other good footballers hes signed now does it.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:52 pm

Heskey no!!!

Johnson yes! :)

Apparantly he got a tour of Anfield on boxing day.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:55 pm

bavlondon wrote:Heskey no!!!

Johnson yes! :)

Apparantly he got a tour of Anfield on boxing day.

and his club and himself are reportedly suing the newspaper that ran that rumor.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:05 pm

I thought I recently read that Heskey was injured?
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Fo Dne wrote:For a start Glenn Johnson is a right back, not a left back so it would have absoloutely no bearing on Insua, Aurelio or Dossena.

Although by the looks of the quote that you were reffering to, that poster did not realize Johnson was a right back, there is actually an affect on LB. As you mention later in the thread its not good to have BOTH fullbacks lacking arial ability, and also it would free up Arbeloa to serve as the #2 option for both LB and RB which can let us sell the mistakes that were Degen and Dossena
JoeTerp

Postby DanAn » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:07 pm

Defensively he's not as good alround as Arbeloa and he's not as good in the air which may weaken the defence. If he is to sign its imperritive we play him to his strengths, which are overlapping, getting crosses in and receiving the ball in the attacking half of the pitch. Especially against the better sides he will probably be targeted for Arial bombardments diagnol balls etc. He is however quick and good at getting close to wingers which is two things Arbeloa isn't. He will in my be a massive improvement on Arbeloa IF used properly.

Onto Heskey, I'm sorry but no! We've been there, seen it, done it, wasn't good enough the first time, won't be this time. Infact, thats probably wrong... He is good enough once every seven or eight games, more than good enough infact, but he doesn't score enough goals consistently, misses to many chances, is a bottler and isn't aggressive enough on a consistent basis.

We do need a target man. But he's not the answer. If he had shown the sort of form he was in, in his first full season at Liverpool then I'd re-consider, but he's never produced that sort of form in any other season in his Career and at 30, going on 31 he's not about to in my eyes.

He is however better than Kuyt.

I think it would have an effect on Aurelio and Dossena because I think Arbeloa would be shifted to left back. While Johnson might be better than Arbeloa, Arbeloa's better than all of our left backs.

Agree with what you say about Heskey, no point getting an old player that was never good enough to begin with just because he's cheap. I don't think he's better than Kuyt though.

Playing fantasy manager for a minute I'd love to do the following:

Sell:
Pennant & Babel 
Babel's unhappy and not playing well. Doesn't really have a defined spot in the team but looks a talent to me. Pennant is clearly on his way out.

Replaced by:
Aiden McGeady & Oscar Cardozo
A genuine left winger and a 6'5" target man gives us a more balanced squad. Saw Cardozo against Celtic in Champions League (awesome). Prolific scorer prodominantely with left foot free kicks and with his head from set peices.
McGeady most would know about the right footed left winger who scores frequently for Celtic and his public bust up with celtic manager. Would be great support for Riera.

Sell:
Dossena - He's a turd of a player but we still can recoup most of what we payed for him from an Italian team.

Replaced by:
Taye Taiwo (Marseille) - 23 y/o African left back we saw play us in the group stage of Champions League (did some nice things). Powerful left foot long range shot and physically player. Has said he want's to move to EPL this transfer window.

To be honest I'm happy with the right side. I think between Benayoun, Kuyt, Arbeloa, El Zhar and occasionally Carra at Rb we are fine. It's the left I don't like. We have two players I rate. One's a kid and the other only seems to last 60 minutes on the field.
DanAn

Postby aCe' » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:15 pm

mmm... lets see

fullbacks: Johnson (better thana anything we got down the right imo), Bale (not being used by tottenham and imo could turn out to be a sweet little leftback/left midfielder), Steinsson (of Bolton, been impressive and seems to be a good player all round), the 2 fullbacks at Lazio seem absolutely brilliant going forward... Kolorov i think the leftback.. has a brilliant left foot on him ..

centerbacks: INCASE Agger leaves, which i dont think is very likely... coupla players we can look at... Hangeland of Fulham, Gallas from Arsenal if theyr willing to sell, Mexes Roma, Chivu Inter... yea ok maybe shouldnt go there

Right winger: Joaquin of Valencia.... FFS rafa go out and get him hes a brilliant footballer.. other names..mm.. Ribery, Cazorla (villarreal), Maxi Rodriguez (atletico).. D maria of Benfiica donno if he can play down the right but a brilliant player down the flank..out of our budget reach i guess

Taret man: Millito (Genoa, been great in the itlian league and always been great at spanish league aswell), Adriano (inter), Santacruz (if we can afford), K.Jones (sunderland, good player imo but cant see them selling), Elmander (another good player but wouldnt think hed leave yet)

if i had to pick 2 or 3 realistic targets from the bunch... id go for Johnson at fullback, Millito as a target man, and if we manage to get some funds by selling the likes of (Pennant, Babel, Voronin) id also go for a rightwinger... Maxi or Joaquin in a red shirt would be brilliant and would deffo put an end to Kuyt's brilliant career as a right winger... :p
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill