Deadline Day - What Surprises Will It Bring?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:25 am

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:It looks like Van der Vart, if the deal is sanctionwesd by the PL is only costing Spurs 8m.  Source Metro Paper!

Van Der Vaart has been disappointing ever since he left Ajax and has failed to live up to his hype .
Benny The Noon

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:28 am

Benny The Noon wrote:
Ola Mr Benitez wrote:It looks like Van der Vart, if the deal is sanctionwesd by the PL is only costing Spurs 8m.  Source Metro Paper!

Van Der Vaart has been disappointing ever since he left Ajax and has failed to live up to his hype .

He was boss in the WC and would have improved our squad, no matter which way you look at it.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:48 am

Ciggy wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:

He was boss in the WC and would have improved our squad, no matter which way you look at it.

I think he would have improved our squad but dont think he had a good world cup at all.
To be fair i would have liked him at Liverpool but he is another of those where do you play him players.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 am

He spent most if the world cup coming off the bench once game was over ciggy and as Ben says he is a talented player but where do you play him and he hasn't justified that talent at all .
Benny The Noon

Postby Scottbot » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:33 am

Kudos for the way we moved for Mereiles the moment the Masch transfer went through, that was a quick bit of work and foresight but I caqn't for the life of me understand why we weren't waiting and ready to pull the trigger on a deal for a striker (instead of) or in the same way? Forward was by far our biggest need. We could have actually got by in the midfield department. Not even a loan signing. A good few on here seemed to be happy we didn't get Carlton Cole and that's fair enough if you don't rate the lad BUT the bottom line is he is far far better than anything else we have bar Torres. I can't believe we didn't put a call into West Ham (if you believe Uncle Fester) until yesterday. It's completely niave in my book. If Fernando gets injured again our season is totally down the pan before it has even started, it's that simple. I fully understand the manager's hands were tied so far as having to wait for the Masch money before he could do anything but the Mereiles deal proves we were in a position to have something on the back burner. It's a MASSIVE MASSIVE risk.

I don't think i've ever been so worried about one player getting injured during an international break as I am about this one.

PS. Cole isn't one of my favourites but what he does offer is a genuine change-up if Torres isn't working out in a match, he's got the strength to lead the line on his own, a bit of pace and skill about him. I read a couple of comments saying 'if he isn't good enough for Chelsea then he isn't good enough for us' so I guess we'd better puint Jonno off to another club quick smart?
Last edited by Scottbot on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:40 am

I dont think Torres will be injured as much tbh, he's got a better training setup now and we have better medical team etc he's better looked after behind the scenes. He's even got Roy ringing up the spain manager asking him to not pick Torres.

He'll be ok, he's gonna have a good season.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:44 am

We do have lot of 'strikers', but I completely agree, Cole would have been better than any of them bar Nando. If Torres gets injured can we get two of them working together? We've got Ngog, Babel, Kuyt, Jovanovich, Pacheco and Stevie who can probably play a second striker role.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:02 am

Scottbot wrote:I can't believe we didn't put a call into West Ham (if you believe Uncle Fester) until yesterday. It's completely niave in my book.

Why are you surprised? This is Liverpool Football Club. We are run at the top by absolute muppets.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Lee J wrote:I dont think Torres will be injured as much tbh, he's got a better training setup now and we have better medical team etc he's better looked after behind the scenes. He's even got Roy ringing up the spain manager asking him to not pick Torres.

He'll be ok, he's gonna have a good season.

:laugh:

he has been injured playing and while on duty for spain - doesnt matter what training set up you have he will still suffer from injuries .
Benny The Noon

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:31 pm

I wouldn't waste my time with ngog, I'd trust Kuyt or Babel up front before ngog.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:35 pm

One small crumb of comfort is that we weren't the only club to drop a bollo.ck in the transfer market yesterday--some of our chief rivals failed to fortify as well.  How Arsenal managed once more to not buy a proper keeper I'll never know, and it will cost them points.  Spurs, by all accounts, were also in the market for a striker and failed to get one, while Villa didn't buy anyone apart from Ireland to fill the Milner gap.  Looking further up the table, neither the Mancs nor Chelsea dipped into the market much, which leaves City as the only top 7 side doing much spending and they now have the task of keeping everyone happy and getting the balance right. 

I'm not for one minute diminishing the disappointment associated with not buying a striker yesterday but it's nice to see that some of our top rivals also struggled to address their glaring problems too.  As you were, everyone.
Last edited by Bad Bob on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:48 pm

Bad Bob wrote:One small crumb of comfort is that we weren't the only club to drop a bollo.ck in the transfer market yesterday--some of our chief rivals failed to fortify as well.  How Arsenal managed once more to not buy a proper keeper I'll never know, and it will cost them points.  Spurs, by all accounts, were also in the market for a striker and failed to get one, while Villa didn't buy anyone apart from Ireland to fill the Milner gap.  Looking further up the table, neither the Mancs nor Chelsea dipped into the market much, which leaves City as the only top 7 side doing much spending and they now have the task of keeping everyone happy and getting the balance right. 

I'm not for one minute diminishing the disappointment associated with not buying a striker yesterday but it's nice to see that some of our top rivals also struggled to address their glaring problems too.  As you were, everyone.

I think that's a very good point Bob.
I am also worried about the fact that we have not brought in a striker but like you said the other teams around us (except city) havent really done anything themselves.

I am amazed Arsenal have yet again not signed a keeper. I would be fuming if i was one of their supporters.
Spurs i expected to strengthen significantly and they have been quiet. I dont think their squad will cope with all of the extra fixtures the champions league will bring for them.
Villa sold a very good player but did bring in another top player.
Again though their squad isnt good enough.
Everton didnt sell any players but didnt bring in anyone of note for me. Added to the fact they have had an awful start to the season.

Things could have been alot worse but it looks like everyone is feeling the pinch a bit regarding finances.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Yesterday was reminiscent of the last minute Xmas shopping panic . You know the feeling, very late in the evening, xmas eve, and you remember you forgot to buy the mother in law a present. You leg it down to the shops just in time to see them close, so you bounce from one petrol station to another vainly searching for something "special" but in the end all your left with is a decision on whether she'd prefer a can of Pringles or a Spark plug  :(

And then you discover you've left your wallet at home    :sniffle .

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:02 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Yesterday was reminiscent of the last minute Xmas shopping panic . You know the feeling, very late in the evening, xmas eve, and you remember you forgot to buy the mother in law a present. You leg it down to the shops just in time to see them close, so you bounce from one petrol station to another vainly searching for something "special" but in the end all your left with is a decision on whether she'd prefer a can of Pringles or a Spark plug  :(

And then you discover you've left your wallet at home    :sniffle .

:D

The transfer window is a complete joke full stop. I don't know of one manager or supporter who likes it. The only person who likes it is Robbie Keane who must have been due to move during every transfer window since 2003. :D

Just thank your lucky stars the deadline wasn't midnight as it has been in the past. I remember fans sitting at their computer screens on here all day until midnight in the past waiting for news that never came. Simao was even sat on a plane and that deal fell through. :D
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ironman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Rafael Van Der Vart to Spurs for 8 million,,,, im depressed,,, quality player,, and for that money,, Alexander Kleb to Birmingham,, even more depressing,,,  :sniffle , would of been wonderful signings for us in my opinion,, creativity, which were completely lacking and going to lack by the looks of our set up this yr,,,
ironman

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill