Deadline Day - What Surprises Will It Bring?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby ironman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm

oh, forgot Gudjohnson to Stoke,, free? ???? ????? ???
ironman

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:42 pm

ironman wrote:Rafael Van Der Vart to Spurs for 8 million,,,, im depressed,,, quality player,, and for that money,, Alexander Kleb to Birmingham,, even more depressing,,,  :sniffle , would of been wonderful signings for us in my opinion,, creativity, which were completely lacking and going to lack by the looks of our set up this yr,,,

We've signed Joe Cole (creative player), Mereiles (creative player), Jovanovic (creative player)

we've kept hold of Gerrard (creative player) Torres (creative player)

and your complaining cos we aint got any creative players?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Keris » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:48 pm

ironman wrote:Rafael Van Der Vart to Spurs for 8 million,,,, im depressed,,, quality player,, and for that money,, Alexander Kleb to Birmingham,, even more depressing,,,  :sniffle , would of been wonderful signings for us in my opinion,, creativity, which were completely lacking and going to lack by the looks of our set up this yr,,,

Both would have been good buys, but their position have already been filled by J.Cole & Gerrard. You can suggest to play them at wide areas but that are not their natural position and they look like players who prefer playing through the middle anyway, again position filled. For them to come off the bench? Not a chance.

The priority on deadline day was for a back up to Torres. But Roy didn't manage that, and was given the benefit of the doubt, rightly so, as he was limited in his purchasing powers. I just hope the same patient will be given to our current back up strikers. I'm sure, just as Roy was doing his best to get a striker in on deadline day, the likes of Ngog, Kuyt & Pacheco will do their best (to their ability) when they pull on the red shirt.
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby ironman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:13 pm

Lee J wrote:

We've signed Joe Cole (creative player), Mereiles (creative player), Jovanovic (creative player)

Merieles,, jovanivic,, creative players??? are you for real??? scarey mate....
:Oo:
ironman

Postby ethanr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:16 pm

ironman wrote:
Lee J wrote:

I've watched Jova play and I would definitely classify him as a creative player.  he's one of those guys everybody hates to defend because they can't keep track of the ball and he's quick.  He creates a lot when he has the ball.

We haven't even seen the best of him yet, he's still adjusting.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Fauxy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:29 pm

ethanr wrote:
ironman wrote:
Lee J wrote:

I've watched Jova play and I would definitely classify him as a creative player.  he's one of those guys everybody hates to defend because they can't keep track of the ball and he's quick.  He creates a lot when he has the ball.

We haven't even seen the best of him yet, he's still adjusting.

Plus, he doesnt have a left back helping him out.
Fauxy

Postby ironman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:05 pm

After the man city game,, i really cant believe what im hearing,,,,, weres the pace in our team without Nando??? please can we start talking realistically? ??? so< Poulsen,, lucas,, Merelies,, all holding midfielders,, joe cole in the hole then??? what about the wingers??? oh,, thats right,, we havnt had one from john barnes at his best,,, the best teams have threats with pace.. end of story,, Maloud?? even Anelka who plays wide for chelsea,, Nani for utd,, giggs still does his tricks from wide,, Valencia,, pace,, go ahead,, tell me were were gonna get in behind and balls in the box? ??? cant wait for this one..
ironman

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:16 pm

The Big Transfer Window Failures...

Posted 01/09/10 12:50
EmailPrintSave

While Man United fans might bemoan their club's failure to sign anyone over the age of 12, it's clear the club never even tried. So the big failures came at Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and...

1) Arsenal Fail To Sign A Keeper
Football365's very own Pete Gill is fond of telling us that Arsenal are trying to win the Premier League without a goalkeeper, while one mailbox wag is advocating 'goalie when' in the wailing and gnashing of teeth that has followed the closing of the window, with Manuel Almunia still entrenched as the Gunners' first-choice stopper. Arsenal apparently set their cap at Mark Schwarzer - curiously offering the same money twice - and then seemingly refused to consider the 427 or so goalkeepers in English football who would instil more confidence in Arsenal fans than poor Almunia. Whether it be stubbornness or a genuine, misplaced faith in the Spaniard is unclear, but either way it's difficult to fathom or justify. Does Arsene really know?

2) Liverpool Fail To Sign A Striker
One of the many, many criticisms levelled at Rafa Benitez is that he left the Liverpool squad short of any quality cover for Fernando Torres, having sold Robbie Keane, Peter Crouch, Craig Bellamy, Milan Baros and just about any other vaguely good striker. So the first thing Roy Hodgson was going to do when taking the reins was buy a striker, right? Wrong. Instead he brought in some midfielders, a centre-half, a goalkeeper and then frantically tried to get Carlton Cole or Roman Pavlyuchenko to the club as the clock ticked towards deadline. Those moves failed so Liverpool once again have only David Ngog as back-up to Torres. And although there's one regular mailboxer who claims Ngog is better than, erm, Dimiflop Berbaflop, we remain unconvinced.

3) Tottenham Fail To Sign A Striker
Although Rafael Van der Vaart for £8m sounds like a bargain, it's a bit like buying a pair of trousers just because they're half price when you've gone to the shop to buy a shirt you desperately need. There's only so many pairs of trousers you can wear (even if they're really sodding nice) and you'll still embarrass yourself if you go outside topless. We appreciate that he's a great player available for a smallish price, but do they need the Dutchman when they have Luka Modric, Tom Huddlestone and Niko Kranjcar? Surely a competent, experienced lone striker type should have been the priority. Instead, they have the choice between a giant, two midgets and an occasional footballer.

4) West Ham Fail To Sign A Big Name
David Beckham, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Thierry Henry, Juan Roman Riquelme...all linked with West Ham as Messrs Gold and Sullivan tried to make a noise even louder than the latter's waistcoat this summer. There was slightly less exciting but at least vaguely ambitious talk of Ryan Babel and Robbie Keane in the final hours, but in the end the biggest name they signed was Thomas Hitzlsperger. So they're bottom of the league with zero points, and Hammers fans can look forward to seeing Tal Ben Haim and Winston Reid in action. For a financially-strapped club, that's not saying either 'bums on seats' or 'can I have this fella's name on the back of my shirt please?'

5) Aston Villa Fail To Sign Anyone
When Martin O'Neill walked out of Aston Villa on August 9, we thought it might take a week for Randy Lerner to find a new manager, who would still have two weeks to spend a little bit of cash in the transfer window - probably on a striker like Robbie Keane or Craig Bellamy to take the pressure off the over-worked Gaby Agbonlahor. Or maybe a left-back after the exits of Nicky Shorey and Wilfred Bouma left them short of back-up for Stephen Warnock. In the end, there was no new manager and only Stephen Ireland came through the door, while three fringe players and the talismanic James Milner departed. They had better really, really hope that their phenomenal luck with injuries continues until at least January. Nobody wants to see Habib Beye at left-back...apart from possibly the opposition right-winger.
Benny The Noon

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:24 pm

ironman wrote:After the man city game,, i really cant believe what im hearing,,,,, weres the pace in our team without Nando??? please can we start talking realistically? ??? so< Poulsen,, lucas,, Merelies,, all holding midfielders,, joe cole in the hole then??? what about the wingers??? oh,, thats right,, we havnt had one from john barnes at his best,,, the best teams have threats with pace.. end of story,, Maloud?? even Anelka who plays wide for chelsea,, Nani for utd,, giggs still does his tricks from wide,, Valencia,, pace,, go ahead,, tell me were were gonna get in behind and balls in the box? ??? cant wait for this one..

nothing we could tell you would be any good anyway - you'll pick holes in it regardless.  :oops:
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:12 pm

iron man, iron man, does whatever an iron can
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:18 pm

I agree with most on here. We needed to buy a striker... BUT, isn't it about buying the right striker rather than just anyone who was a) available b) in our price range and c) wanted to play for us,mainly sitting on the bench awaiting Torres to get injured.

Not so easy really, we may of ended up with someone who really is no better than Kuyt, Ngog or Babel.

What we needed was not out there.... IMO
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby rocky29 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I agree with most on here. We needed to buy a striker... BUT, isn't it about buying the right striker rather than just anyone who was a) available b) in our price range and c) wanted to play for us,mainly sitting on the bench awaiting Torres to get injured.

Not so easy really, we may of ended up with someone who really is no better than Kuyt, Ngog or Babel.

ye must be really hard to find someone better than kuyt babbel and ngog. Thanks thats the best fecking joke ive heard all day. :laugh:
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Why do Spurs need another striker ffs. P!ss off Spurs  :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:14 pm

rocky29 wrote:
Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I agree with most on here. We needed to buy a striker... BUT, isn't it about buying the right striker rather than just anyone who was a) available b) in our price range and c) wanted to play for us,mainly sitting on the bench awaiting Torres to get injured.

ye must be really hard to find someone better than kuyt babbel and ngog. Thanks thats the best fecking joke ive heard all day. :laugh:

Read my post again... then think about it, then ask somone to explain it to you, then make a sensible response!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby skatesy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:16 am

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:
rocky29 wrote:

Read my post again... then think about it, then ask somone to explain it to you, then make a sensible response!

I agree with Benitez.

If you look at all of the strikers who Liverpool were being linked with, there weren't really any that, upon some good thinking, we were worth the effort (other than Llorente, if there were any truth to that rumour).

You look at the likes of Carlton, this Toivonen guy, Gomez, etc - all of these guys could have very likely come on to the team, been thrown up front with Torres until Hodgson realized that they didn't work well with Torres and then, after 5 games, gone back to having Gerrard or Cole sitting behind Torres.

And it is not all that worth it, paying 12 million, etc for the likes of Carlton Cole. I figure that if we couldn't have gotten a very good striker for a good price then it is better to just hold our cards for the time being. No point just getting someone who is a striker just for the sake of it. It is evident that given the time and options available to Hodgson that it was not worth it for the price that ought to be paid.
skatesy

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill