Sheffield city 1857-2007 - 150 years

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:28 pm

Since I was a children I developed a huge amount of Respect towards Liverpool, Aldridge, and the values that explained Toshack were something I identified with back then when I was a wee boy.

But, I also respect the English football as a whole. I do like Spanish football, but I've always had a look to the source of the whole thing.

And it's FFS, 150 years since this club was born. Was it the first one? I think so. The first clubs in my country, are from 1898 and most of them founded by english men. Even my local club, that was founded in 1909 had those brits influences, english business men that came to Spain and started the football fever that way.

1857... a long time.

Football has changed a lot since then, this is a welsh international keeper of the time

I thought it was Fran Lampard's daddy, but no, he was a guy called Fatty Foulke. Credit to this old football, in which the ball was really hard when it rained and heading it was not the same!!
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:35 pm

WTF happened to this thread?

People must have seen 'Sheffield' and thought 'hmmmm, nah' :D
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:31 pm

Move on LFC2007 :D

Karhaz made a thread recently asking what takes to make a good thread or topic. Well, certainly this hadn't what it takes to become popular :D

When you write in this kind of forums, you have to assume sooner or later, that not everything that you write will be read with attention, and if it is, it doesn't mean you'll be responded, it's natural :)

I wrote this thread because I like history thingies and I had the hope the ones that already were old in 1855 like supersub and Woof (kidding obviously :D) could say a couple of funny things about old football and Foulke, the real father of Fat Lampard
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:20 am

The title of the world's oldest football club, or the oldest club in a particular country, is often disputed, or is claimed by several different clubs, across several different codes of football.

It is possible that a football-related organisation existed in London between 1421 and 1423. The records of the Brewers' Company of London, a guild, mention the hiring out of their hall "by the "ffooteballepleyers" for "20 pence", under the heading "Crafts and Fraternities".[1] The listing of football players as a "fraternity" is the earliest allusion to what might be considered a football club.[2]

Many early clubs did not use the word football in their name at all. Early rugby clubs sometimes referred to themselves, or continue to refer to themselves, as simply a "football club", or as a "Rugby football club". Similarly, most Australian rules football teams still refer to themselves as " Football Club".

There is evidence that in the 18th century, English cricket clubs regularly played football in the winter.[citation needed]

The first documented football club is one in Edinburgh, Scotland, during the period 1824-41, and associated with a man named John Hope. Several documents relating to this "Foot Ball Club" exist.[3]

A club for playing "cricket, quoits and football" was established in Newcastle on Tyne in or before 1848[4]

It is has been claimed that the Barnes Club (later Barnes Rugby Football Club), from Barnes in London, was formed in 1839[5]. However, this has not been conclusively documented. It is also argued, and supported by the Guinness Book of Records, that Guy's Hospital Football Club, founded by staff at Guy's Hospital in London in 1843, is the oldest club. While a rugby club still exists at Guy's Hospital, the connection between the present club and the one formed in 1843 is poorly-documented[6].

The oldest football club with a well-documented, continuous history is the Dublin University Football Club, founded in 1854 at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland. The club now plays rugby union.

Cambridge University Association Football Club has been described by both the university itself and the BBC as the oldest club now playing Association football (soccer), having been formed in 1856/57. [7] However, this is a matter of controversy and some sources state that the club was not founded until 1866.

Sheffield Football Club, in Sheffield, England is the oldest documented non-university club, and was founded in 1857. It initially played a code of its own devising. The club joined the English Football Association (F.A.) in 1863 and is recognised by both the F.A. and FIFA as the world's oldest club now playing Association football. The club's rules influenced the F.A.; it did not adopt the Association's code in full until 1878.

The German club 1860 Munich was founded in the year indicated by its name, but did play any kind of football until 1899.

That being said Notts County are the oldest league club.
66-1112520797

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:27 pm

yeah i like reading about the history of the game too.
did you know it was a liverpool engineer who invented goal nets?
when you think back to what the world was like in 1888 when league football first began you begin to understand how old the game is.
the painter van gogh cut off his ear the year the league started.
there was no such thing as the aeroplane and cars were experimental toys in scientific labs.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Return to Premiership - General Discussion