Old firm in england - Rangers & celtic dominated for 20 years.

The Premiership - General Discussion

Old firm in england - Rangers & celtic dominated for 20 years.

The Old Firm should join from the conference like everyone else.
17%
The EPL should be expanded and guarantee Old Firm's place despite poor results.
3%
No way. That's why they're Scottish.
53%
What's the Old Firm?
No votes
Rangers only.
No votes
Celtic only.
6%
Can we swap them for Man U & Chelsea?
22%

Total votes : 36

Postby AussieKopite » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:56 pm

The Rangers & Celtic have dominated the SPL by winning every season for the last 20 years. Half the league thinks its a good idea for the Old Firm to join the English League as it would normalise the transfer fees while the other half fear economic meltdown.

What's the opinion of Liverpool fans as Liverpool has been the most dominant club in English history? Would we welcome Celtic & Rangers?
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:16 pm

Last time I checked Glasgow was in Scotland and excuse my geography if I am wrong. Now if the Scottish Premier League is a two horse race that isn't a problem of English football it is a problem of Scottish football and should be dealed with the people in Scotland & not England. Plus I am against Rangers and Celtic entering English football at a high standard myself why should they be included in Premiership when clubs in the Championship play thier hearts out to gain promotion. If Rangers and Celtic were to enter English football then, they should start from the bottom and work their way up to the top, not handed the prize on the platter (imo). Plus they'd probably finish mid table and wouldn't bring anything to the Premiership apart from the Protestant and Catholic divide and a cheap immatation of "You'll Never Walk Alone".

Sorry, but I am against the idea.
48-1119859832

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:25 pm

no. dont want them here. waste of time. why not bring lyon here as well? all rubbish. scottish indeed.

bung them in the carling cup for a bit and see if that brings in more money to the game. then maybe in 10 years the fa cup... then we'll see
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:44 pm

Yeh they shud be in the premier league.We cud hav welsh teams in the premier league then y not scottish teams an all.IF they do come up a think they will be both mid table teams.Even if they are put in the lower leagues they gain promotion easily.Theyll make the premier league much more competitive and jus overall much better!!!
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Adebisi » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:49 pm

I dont think the EPL needs them at the moment but wouldnt be against the league cup being integrated with the Scottish league cup.

Also I think there could be a lot of voilence at these games but to be fair these games would be electric, the UEFA game against Celtic was great and had a great atmosphere, hope we draw them in Europe!

Also don't forget that there are Welsh teams in England so it isnt too far fetched
Adebisi

Postby Gareth G » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:51 pm

They wouldn't do much damage in my opinion, Celtic would maybe be more competitive. Even as a Rangers fan I wouldn't like to see them in the EPL as it would bring unwanted sactarian issue's like someone said, but I like the idea of throwing them into the Carling Cup.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:12 pm

It doesn't matter what people want in terms of the old firm going to england, because it will never happen.

Where do you draw the line then??  Can Porto and Benfica move to La Liga??  Can Antwerp etc move to the Dutch league??  Maybe Newcastle could join the SPL so they could win something at last?? :D
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:30 pm

Celtic and Rangers would not be better than Villa, Man City, Tottenham, etc. Whats the point in them competing in this league? We would then have to relegate the 2 lowest ranking teams who have just gained promotion. F*ck Scotland's 2-horse-race. Do you think they'd care 2 hoots about us if we were in the same boat? Scotland hate our guts, and only pretend to like us and our league when it benefits them. S*ag off, old firm scum. I don't want you here. Never have, never will. The way Celtic went off when they knocked us out of UEFA cup makes sure of that. Bas*ards.:angry: ??? :p

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:36 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Celtic and Rangers would not be better than Villa, Man City, Tottenham, etc. Whats the point in them competing in this league?

The point is that with their fan base, added to the extra tv money they'd get in the prem, and the pulling power of the prem in terms of attracting players, they have the potential to dominate in England several years down the line.

Right enough they're no better than mid-table english teams now, but make no mistake, it wouldn't stay like that for long if they got in.  But as I said before, I don't think it'll ever happen, thankfully  :)
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Celtic and Rangers are Scottish teams so they should remain in a Scottish League (IMO), Maybe the Scottish football wouldn't be a two horse race if the Scottish people took a much bigger and better interest in football like the English do then there wouldn't be this situation. Football is a business now a days and you must have a rich bank balance to suceed at the highest level and many Scottish teams don't have the balance of Celtic or Rangers so they cannot attract the players without the money. The Scottish league and Scottish football in general needs a big cash injection (imo).
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:16 pm

0asis wrote:Maybe the Scottish football wouldn't be a two horse race if the Scottish people took a much bigger and better interest in football like the English do then there wouldn't be this situation.

Thats complete and utter bollox mate.  Have you been to football matches in Scotland before??  Have you seen first-hand the passion for football in Scotland and the atmosphere at the games.  Because I've spent 5 years living there and no one's gonna tell me that the scottish don't have as big an interest in football as the english do.

The problems in the scottish leagues are down to several reasons:

1 - Influx of sub-standard foreigners in the early 90s stifling the local talent

2 - Lack of TV money

3 - Fan bases of celtic and rangers stretching beyond the borders of scotland and therefore making them much richer

4 - The subsequent wealth of the old firm being used to buy any player from other SPL teams that shows a bit of promise.  In effect, buying the opposition and preventing a serious challenge from other clubs

5 - Look at the population in scotland compared to england FFS.  Massive difference and is also the main reason why there is a gulf in wealth between the respective FAs

To say scottish fans aren't as interested in football as english shows a complete lack of knowledge :no
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:33 am

I see what you mean, JC, but I dont want them here. Would their fan base be as strong if they had to spend 5 or 6 years gaining promotion through the leagues?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:15 pm

given a few years in the prem make no mistake, rangers & celtic would be right up there with us, arsenal manu & chelsea. they each have huge stadia, massive local and international following and real football passion & pedigree (yes i'm half glaswegian but bias doesn't come into this)

yes it would clearly benefit both sides for them to be in the prem, and can you imagine the magnitude of games like liverpool-rangers and arsenal-celtic happening on a regular basis? those games would be f*cking immense to say the least

but no, i don't think it should happen. for them to occupy 2 slots in the prem means 2 less available slots for the likes of west brom, west ham, sunderland and so on - genuine english footy sides who battle their balls off to get into the top flight of their own national division. as somebody mentioned earlier, if we admit c&r then why not apply the same rationale to AC Milan, ajax, barca etc etc?

it shouldn't happen and it won't happen
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:45 pm

If welsh teams are allowed in England (and even win the FA cup) then why not scottish teams- they are british too.

They should be allowed in but should start in the fourth division (whatever its marketed as, it is still division 4 to me) and should work there way up.

I think they might find it tough getting promoted into the premiership. They are massive clubs with huge fan base. I don't know about Rangers but Celtic have a large worldwide fan base and with exposure the EPL gets will only get bigger. They have a great tradition - first british team to win European cup - with all scots too!

Sectarian issues wouldn't be nice but wouldn't these only occur in their own derby in Glasgow, I'm not aware of other clubs having strong Catholic/protestant elements, am I wrong?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:14 pm

dont want the pair of em. their songs are full of religious and political undertones, all rule brittania and rebel songs and not to my knowledge about ordinary glasweigans supporting their local team like scouser tommy etc. their huge fan bases are down to religious reasons and thats why they are so well supported in ireland.
liverpool used to have sectarian problems but thankfully we grew up but celtic and rangers coming into town might stir up a few of the old die hards. i worry about celtic playing in london especially the east end, i can see half of those "no surrender to the ira" mob relishing the chance to have a crack at them. no, the prem works just fine without them.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion