RAHEEM STERLING - Official Thread

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:41 pm

kazza » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:47 am wrote:I thought it was a penalty. The hip is a powerful thing since it is solid and and your centre of gravity, they use it in Judo regularly to get people to lose their balance and on the flip side if your hip is bumped when running it does not take much to lose your shape and fall over and remember the defender is bigger . It was similar to Eto's challenge on Suarez. Problem is people listen to pundits that were footballers say no penalty they repeat it even though when those same pundits were playing they would have gone done just as quickly with the same challenge.

Having said that Raheem did play for the penalty but it was a penalty.

It was a very soft penalty decision that we were due but it technically, by the laws of the game is a foul anywhere else on the pitch. Think there was a decent shout for hand ball in the build up too but f**k it.

To honest I'm absolutely shocked and stunned at Sterling's performances of late. Looks a completely different player and has turned it round big time. Earlier in the season he was looking a league two player at best, now he's every bit worth his place.

Really do hope this continues and the people who doubted him are made to eat our words.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Homebooby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:21 pm

kazza » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:47 am wrote:I thought it was a penalty. The hip is a powerful thing since it is solid and and your centre of gravity, they use it in Judo regularly to get people to lose their balance and on the flip side if your hip is bumped when running it does not take much to lose your shape and fall over and remember the defender is bigger . It was similar to Eto's challenge on Suarez. Problem is people listen to pundits that were footballers say no penalty they repeat it even though when those same pundits were playing they would have gone done just as quickly with the same challenge.

Funny you say that about Judo, that was exactly my thought at the time it happened. I think he was looking for it, but if you pay attention the hip does catch him on the spot that would knock your balance especially if you weren't centered which he wasn't. I wouldn't have complained if it had been disallowed, but I don't think that he purposely dived to cheat either.
Homebooby

Postby devaney » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:12 pm

For me it was a penalty. The defender tried to be very clever in the way he knocked Raheem off the ball and the ref wasn't having any. Raheem would have gone around him if he hadn't been pushed on his backside softly or not. Mind you the way MS tugs people around the place in the penalty area it's a wonder we don't have about six penalties given against us in every fecking game  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:30 pm

He's an outside bet for the World Cup if he keeps this form up. He's a far more intelligent footballer than the likes of Townsend and Lennon who essentially run in straight lines and are ridiculously one dimensional.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:03 pm

:bowdown
stmichael » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:30 pm wrote:He's an outside bet for the World Cup if he keeps this form up. He's a far more intelligent footballer than the likes of Townsend and Lennon who essentially run in straight lines and are ridiculously one dimensional.

Don't believe that to be true of Lennon. Lennon is a terrific player for me, just seems to lack that consistency... don't know whether its confidence or attitude.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:58 am

Stu the Red » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:41 pm wrote:
kazza » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:47 am wrote:I thought it was a penalty. The hip is a powerful thing since it is solid and and your centre of gravity, they use it in Judo regularly to get people to lose their balance and on the flip side if your hip is bumped when running it does not take much to lose your shape and fall over and remember the defender is bigger . It was similar to Eto's challenge on Suarez. Problem is people listen to pundits that were footballers say no penalty they repeat it even though when those same pundits were playing they would have gone done just as quickly with the same challenge.

It was a very soft penalty decision that we were due but it technically, by the laws of the game is a foul anywhere else on the pitch. Think there was a decent shout for hand ball in the build up too but f**k it.

To honest I'm absolutely shocked and stunned at Sterling's performances of late. Looks a completely different player and has turned it round big time. Earlier in the season he was looking a league two player at best, now he's every bit worth his place.

Really do hope this continues and the people who doubted him are made to eat our words.
it proves that mental state is the most important factor in how a player plays. He was facing jail at one point and that has to weigh heavily on how a player plays. I just hope he does not fill out live Owen did and lose that pace.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 am

Stu the Red » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:03 pm wrote::bowdown
stmichael » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:30 pm wrote:He's an outside bet for the World Cup if he keeps this form up. He's a far more intelligent footballer than the likes of Townsend and Lennon who essentially run in straight lines and are ridiculously one dimensional.

Don't believe that to be true of Lennon. Lennon is a terrific player for me, just seems to lack that consistency... don't know whether its confidence or attitude.

I have always thought of lennon as a headless chicken, runs alot with no end product
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 am

Stu the Red » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:03 pm wrote::bowdown

Lennon is an average player. Good PL squad player nothing more.

He can take on players well but I agree that his style is very direct (i.e. straight line), quality defenders neutralise his treat with relative ease.

Sterling in comparison is far more diverse. He contributes goals for a start, Lennon has never scored more than 5 goals in a season. He also has never scored an international goal at any level. That tells you all you need to know really, especially when you consider how long he has been playing.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:34 pm

At this rate he should be nailed on for the World Cup. Has improved at a remarkable rate this season and will only get better still. Could easily have scored 4 today.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:32 am

stmichael » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:34 pm wrote:At this rate he should be nailed on for the World Cup. Has improved at a remarkable rate this season and will only get better still. Could easily have scored 4 today.

based on form he has got to be  :nod  woy more than anyone should be well aware of how much he has actually grown as a player.
another top class show from him today
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:55 am

earlier this season, it is dam.n frustrating to watch sterling play, his end product was so poor. he even cant string a simple pass. but now he has the confidence to take on defenders, beat them with speed, only needs to improve his end product.
i think he has a great potential with us
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:01 pm

What I like about sterling is that he seems to have the instincts of a forward not a winger, some of his runs in behind remind me more of Michael Owen than Lennon. He's not an old style traditional winger who likes to hug the touchline, he likes to make out-to-in runs which take him towards the goal not the corner flag.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Says it all really:

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Most improved player by far

Delighted to seeing him do very very well!  :buttrock
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:14 am

I enjoy watching him now, he is a joy to see. I admit not so long since I would cringe when he was brought on as a sub. I never had much confidence in the lad but now he's grown up and he's  a first teamer every week for me.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion