Munich Air Disaster and the Busby Babes - Rest In Peace

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:57 pm

I know this is a Liverpool forum, but we as a club know exactly what it's like to have deaths surrounding football, so we should be able to put our differences with Man United aside for the sake of human decancy.

I hope, if we do have a minutes silence at Stamford Bridge, we I'm sure we will, I hope there isn't one or two idiots from either set of fans who decide to boo. It's incidents like this that prove there is more to life than football. No matt how much everyone of dislikes United, it's still no reason to show disrespect to those who sadly passed away back in 58.

I for one will be showing respect and I hope everyone of you do as well.

RIP those who passed away.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:58 pm

In total agreement there mate.

RIP .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:15 pm

hear hear
heimdall

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:22 pm

On 6 February 1958, a charter plane carrying 44 people crashed after refuelling at Munich Airport. The accident claimed 23 lives, among them eight Manchester United players and three club officials. IT meant the end of a side many believe would have gone on to dominate European football - the Busby Babes.

Roger Byrne - aged 28, full-back. 277 appearances, 19 goals, 33 England caps.

"An aristocratic footballer, majestic in his movement. Roger was so fast but at the same time he controlled his movement beautifully, like Nureyev." - Sir Matt Busby

Geoff Bent - aged 25, full-back. 12 appearances.

"When Geoff matured and reached his twenties there were many clubs after him but he stayed loyal. He could look after himself and was a great tackler. Roger Byrne was a consistent player and very brave, that was the reason Geoff got so few games, but he was good enough to hold a regular place in any team." - Jimmy Murphy

Eddie Colman - aged 21, half-back. 107 appearances, 2 goals.

"Eddie was a chirpy lad and a terrific player. He pushed the ball - never kicked it - and he jinked past players. He was known for his swivel hips." - Wilf McGuinness

David Pegg - aged 22, forward, 148 appearances, 28 goals, 1 England cap.

"David would have been a great asset to any team because he was a natural, left-flank player. David was very, very clever. Our best left-winger by a mile." - Sir Matt Busby

Mark Jones - aged 24, half-back, 120 appearances, 1 goal.

"Yorkshireman Mark was a really lovely fellow, but my word he nut, and nobody took any liberties with him on or off the field." - Bill Foulkes

Duncan Edwards - aged 21, half-back, 175 apps., 21 goals, 18 England caps, 5 goals.

"When I used to hear Muhammad Ali proclaim to the world he was the greatest, I used to smile. The greatest of them all was a footballer named Duncan Edwards." - Jimmy Murphy

"The only player who ever made me feel inferior." - Sir Bobby Charlton

Tommy Taylor - aged 26, forward, 189 apps., 128 goals, 19 England caps, 16 goals

"I rate him as one of the all-time, best centre-forwards in the game, and he had yet to realise all his potential. He was a typically bluff Yorkshireman in many ways, often acting the clown, and a great team man." - Bill Foulkes

Liam 'Billy' Whelan - aged 22, forward, 96 apps., 52 goals, 4 Republic of Ireland caps

"Billy was a magician with a ball at his feet. I really don't think he knew how good he was and how much better he could have become. A world-class forward. There is no doubt about that. His vision and passing was sheer class." - Albert Scanlon

Walter Crickmer, (club secretary)  Tom Curry, (trainer) Bert Whalley, (coach)

"Walter Crickmer always reminded me of a little dynamo, nothing was too much trouble. Tom Curry, the trainer, was someone we looked up to like a father. And Bert Whalley was certainly a tremendous help to me when I was a part-timer." - Bill Foulkes

R I P
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:14 pm

Club loyalties shouldn't get anywhere near things like this - it was an enormous human tragedy.

Eight journalists also died on the flight. I work in the media, and this is just as pertinent to me. Bear in mind that the times were different, The Guardian was still based in Manchester, the tabloids were a completely different animal back then (the NOTW wouldn't fall into Murdoch's hands for another decade), and at the end of the day these were just ordinary guys that had been doing their job covering the game:

Alf Clarke - Manchester Evening Chronicle
Don Davies - Manchester Guardian
George Follows - Daily Herald
Tom Jackson - Manchester Evening News
Archie Ledbrooke - Daily Mirror
Henry Rose - Daily Express
Eric Thompson - Daily Mail
Frank Swift - News of the World (also former England and Manchester City goalkeeper)

The following people also died:

Captain Kenneth "Ken" Rayment - British co-pilot who survived the crash but suffered multiple injuries and died three weeks later as a result of brain damage. He was one of two people who died in hospital after being injured in the crash.
Tom Cable - steward
Bela Miklos - travel agent
Willie Satinoff - supporter, racecourse owner and close friend of Matt Busby

Rest in peace guys. :(
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:17 pm

ivor_the_injun

Postby Sabre » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:29 pm

RIP
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Top post RIP
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:53 pm

RIP fellas
LFC2007

Postby destro » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:21 pm

It is a sign of our class as fans of football that we should be able to treat the silence with respect should we have one. As a Mancunian Liverpool Fan I know the same amount of respect sadly would not be shown by the majority of their fans if this tragedy had happened to us. I am hearing bad things about the Derby Match on Sunday, but we will just have to wait and see.

R.I.P
destro

Postby Bammo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:50 pm

RIP everyone who died in the tragedy.

They should do a minute applause rather than silence. That way the few idiots (and there always are some from every club) will be drowned out. It amazes me how some fans can be so offended if something disrespects their loss (Hillsborough/Munich etc) yet the same people disrespect opponents' tragic losses. At the end of the day we're all people. No matter what club people support or play for, they deserve to live a full life and anyone who doesn't get that chance should be respected and remembered.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:01 pm

A minute of silence was just held before the start of the england vs switzerland game
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:54 pm

RIP Busby Babes

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:01 pm

RIP Busby Babes.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:59 pm

A huge tragedy

RIP
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion