Martin o'neill - Resigns

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:15 am

It may just be that MON doesnt understand the numbers his Chairman is trying to explain. In the current financial situation no club outside of Ure, Chav and Citech have money to spend.
Last edited by Reg on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:49 am

Owzat wrote:
fivecups wrote:Their net spend has been greater than ours over the last few years. Don't want to get into a net/gross spend debate but there it is.

So they haven't SPENT more than us, 'net spend' is a meaningless statistic :no It is the usual defence of someone who doesn't understand the concept of spending. If I go to Tesco and spend £50 on food, I then find a £20 note on the floor, that doesn't mean I only spent £30 on food :no It means I'm only down by £30 instead of £50, but I still spent £50

That's just semantics Owzat. People have used net and gross spend to discuss football transfers for years. If you prefer you could call it net and gross outlay on player sales.

I actually suspect Villa may have 'spent' more money of us since the summer of 2008 as well.

It would be good if you had a database with all the transfers and other figures of the big clubs so you could gives us some stats on these sorts of things.
Last edited by fivecups on Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:11 pm

blackpool have just signed four players

Aston Villa are now the ONLY premier league team not to have signed anyone this summer.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 am

the word in the media right now is that MON felt trick by the club and was told lies to stop him going for the Liverpool job, he was told players were not to be sold and good funds to buy players was to be given. MON turned down talks with Liverpool due to this.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:25 am

lakes10 wrote:the word in the media right now is that MON felt trick by the club and was told lies to stop him going for the Liverpool job, he was told players were not to be sold and good funds to buy players was to be given. MON turned down talks with Liverpool due to this.

I think it's because he's a tw@t  :nod
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:19 pm

fivecups wrote:That's just semantics Owzat. People have used net and gross spend to discuss football transfers for years. If you prefer you could call it net and gross outlay on player sales.

I actually suspect Villa may have 'spent' more money of us since the summer of 2008 as well.

It would be good if you had a database with all the transfers and other figures of the big clubs so you could gives us some stats on these sorts of things.

There is one website but it looks different to the one I had shortcut on my home PC, although it is no more reliable than most of the quoted stats on here other than myself of course (validated stats man!)

http://premiersoccerstats.com/epl.html#

The biggest problem is always fees, reported fees etc. If I say Johnson cost £17.5m some will agree, others will take out the debt on Crouch's transfer, others will throw in instalments and the whole thing becomes a debated point. So why do we then accept some of these reported "net spends" as gospel?!? Why do we bother is my view, they mean nothing. What has us making a £20m profit on Alonso got to do with the players we bought and currently have?!? That may well be where the money came from, but I think I shall refer to anyone using "net spend" as armchair accountants.

Of course one massive hole in the old "net spend" argument is noone considers where the player sold to make up "net spend" came from ie initial assets. Rafa inherited a shedload of players, so chances are we're going to make a lot of wonga selling off assets. If MON had no assets of great worth then of course he's going to spend more than he gets from sales.

And of course a low "net spend" might merely be poor transfer acumen, not getting the best value for sales and paying over the odds. The playing fields aren't level, are we going to start saying the mancs spend less than us because they sold Ronaldo for £80m and that took a huge lump out of their "net spend" - around £70m profit.

So my point is of course that signings are what walk out on the field, let's let the accountants balance the books and talk profit and loss (which is what "net spend" effectively is)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Maradona is interested in the Villa job apparently!!

Haha imagine that
Fauxy

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Fauxy wrote:Maradona is interested in the Villa job apparently!!

Haha imagine that

Jaysus, has he been drinking again ?  :D
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby matt_liverpool » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:43 am

bunglemark2 wrote:

Haha imagine that

His agent says he (Maradona) likes English lifestyle and how English people respect privacy.
Last edited by matt_liverpool on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt_liverpool

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:49 am

matt_liverpool wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:

Haha imagine that

His agent says he (Maradona) likes English lifestyle and how English people respect privacy.

THAT, is one of the funniest posts I've read
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby andy_g » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:42 pm

tell him to buy a house near mascherano's

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Mark Hughes 3/1 with hills next villa manager.. i got on at 50s this morning, even though will probably never happen
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:32 pm

Moyes being linked now :O

Cant see that happening
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:13 pm

Houllier or Sven *taps nose*
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:21 pm

Hey maradona said he was interested as well. :;):
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion