Sack rafa, sack wenger and sack ferguson - Sack them all. how important are they?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:04 am

Hi I open this thread because I'm really curious about what's your opinion about how much importance have managers over the teams they manage.

Often managers like Rafa, Capello, Mourinho, or Ferguson are regarded as super managers, they have lots of reputation.

But are they that important and are they that much better compared to other valid yet not that known managers?

If they were that better, Chelsea would have experimented a massive downgrade in their game and would have no option whatsoever of challenging for the title with an unknown Israeli guy.

But the unknown Israeli guy is doing well enough to be competing with our appreciated Rafa.

So, that's the debate, are those "super managers" overrated?

My opinion is that they're a bit overrated. Like in players though, slight differences between knowledge and tactical wisdom and methodologies might mean a remarkable difference. Then of course you'll always have poor managers, but I want to focus the debate on the top ones, the super managers.

Myself, I do think that our Rafa is the right man for the job and I truly don't know anyone more suitable for the job at the moment, but I have to say I don't buy all the myth the super managers have. They're very good and among the best, but the rest of the good managers are not that far as the hype might suggest.

Opinions?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:26 am

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Managers are really only as good as the players they have available. Its when two teams of similar ability meet that a top manager proves his worth. Hiding weaknesses and maximising the strengths of his team. Unfortunately there is a fine line between a tactical genius and a stupid idiot. If the tactics work and you win you're a genius, if the tactics don't work and you win you're still a genius. Lose for whatever reason and your an idiot :D

If managers and coaches were as good as all that, all their sons would be top footballers. Thats why I think most modern managers make or break their name on the transfer market rather than as top coaches, tacticians, innovators or motivators.

One thing I have never really understood , is why the same managers fail time after time and STILL get offered another chance, while others struggle to even get an opportunity even once to try their luck.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:49 am

good post sabre, i assume that some managers are thought of as better than others because of how they see the oppo as opposed to just see their own team, how to counter the other team, that said though i do think rafa overdoes this by concentrating too much on countering them rather than playing our strongest team and our strongest formation and letting them worry about us.

as for tactical geniuses, none of them are, they all make mistakes, the genius comes from learning from a mistake and not repeating it continuously
112-1077774096

Postby Judge » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:32 am

s@int wrote:You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Managers are really only as good as the players they have available.

not true. I refer to man city

on paper they are shiite, but are doing well, so are portsmouth
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:50 am

Judge wrote:
s@int wrote:You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Managers are really only as good as the players they have available.

Man City have spent over £40million this season on new players and unlike other teams havent received any money from outgoing players.

Bianchi - £9  million
Petrov -  £5  million
Elano  -  £8  million
Corluka- £8  million
Bojinov- £10 million
Garridio -£1.5 million
Geovanni - free?
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Judge » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:54 pm

s@int wrote:
Judge wrote:

Man City have spent over £40million this season on new players and unlike other teams havent received any money from outgoing players.

Bianchi - £9  million
Petrov -  £5  million
Elano  -  £8  million
Corluka- £8  million
Bojinov- £10 million
Garridio -£1.5 million
Geovanni - free?

40 million doesnt necessarily make a good team. man city are still shiite  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:57 pm

Judge wrote:
s@int wrote:
Judge wrote:

Bianchi - £9  million
Petrov -  £5  million
Elano  -  £8  million
Corluka- £8  million
Bojinov- £10 million
Garridio -£1.5 million
Geovanni - free?

Make your mind up, either they are sh!te or doing well, or do you mean they are doing well for sh!te :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Judge » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:01 pm

s@int wrote:
Judge wrote:
s@int wrote:
Judge wrote:

Bianchi - £9  million
Petrov -  £5  million
Elano  -  £8  million
Corluka- £8  million
Bojinov- £10 million
Garridio -£1.5 million
Geovanni - free?

Make your mind up, either they are sh!te or doing well, or do you mean they are doing well for sh!te :D

yes thats it :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:56 pm

I think what is going to be interesting is when wenger and Ferguson move on, Most Arsenal are 100% sure that next year will be wenger last at the the club, As for Ferguson I still see this as his last year at Man U.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:01 pm

lakes10 wrote:I think what is going to be interesting is when wenger and Ferguson move on, Most Arsenal are 100% sure that next year will be wenger last at the the club, As for Ferguson I still see this as his last year at Man U.

There was some speculation on Soccernet or football365--I can't remember which--the other day that Ferguson might be hoping to stay on long enough for Man U to pass our title record.  That doesn't seem likely but, given old whiskey nose's historic chip on shoulder with respect to Liverpool, it's probably crossed his mind.  We'll just have to make sure that never happens. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Judge » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:05 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
lakes10 wrote:I think what is going to be interesting is when wenger and Ferguson move on, Most Arsenal are 100% sure that next year will be wenger last at the the club, As for Ferguson I still see this as his last year at Man U.

There was some speculation on Soccernet or football365--I can't remember which--the other day that Ferguson might be hoping to stay on long enough for Man U to pass our title record.  That doesn't seem likely but, given old whiskey nose's historic chip on shoulder with respect to Liverpool, it's probably crossed his mind.  We'll just have to make sure that never happens. :D

manure have potential rapists, granny tuppers, and thicko's (aka rio)  :D  , and ole whisky nose thinks he can call lfc
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion