Best/worst soccer pundits

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:53 pm

there's so many of them now that i can't keep up with them all but some just really do my nut in.

the main man for me is still Alan Hansen....always manages to point out things in a game you don't notice..and just has an authority about him in everything he says (and he's still such a massive red!) The pundit Andy Gray wishes he could be!

The worst for me has to be Andy Townsend.(especially as a double act with Robbie Earle)..he talks about the game like he's won the World cup or something....a decent player at best...but uses 50 words when 10 will do.. states the obvious...and is guilty of over-anylising to the point of ..yawnnnnnnnnns..

the most irritiating is Lawrenson....forever in Hansens shadow (like his playing days)...so he tries to be controversial....and treats any bad performances by Liverpool as material for a comedy routine on MOTD..revels in it. A t*at. I don't think his colleagues like him either. Nobody likes him. You can see Alan thinks he's a t**t as well.

Strachan is the most entertaining...

The worst of the bunch has to be Schmeichel on the Beeb.

I think Charlie Nicholas knows his stuff but I think Tony Cottee and Clive Allen should be buried in a big hole along with Frank "I only care about Arsenal" Mcklintock and Rodney Marsh (although marsh can be entertaining at times).

Ally Mccoist is a funny guy on Question of Sport but he is definitely not a football pundit. Awful and clueless is the word. He states the obvious so much that even I could do it with my eyes closed.

Big Ron ? Well...how can you say he's good when he forgets to turn his mic on ;-)

Adrian Chiles reminds me of an uglier version of Mr Bean. Oh dear...  and Gary Lineker's attempts at comedy are...well, comical.

who do you rate/ not rate?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 106-1093504160 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:55 pm

andy f@cking gray
106-1093504160

Postby the great one » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:55 pm

has to be andy gray :angry:
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:11 pm

aye
106-1093504160

Postby JBG » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:41 pm

I have to say I'm not a fan of Robbie Earle: too boring.

You have to laugh at Garth Crooks: could anybody be that eager and earnest?  :D

Mark Lawerson can be extremely annoying, especially when he disses his old club and when he tries to be "funny".

John Giles on Irish tv is an excellent pundit, extremely insightful.

Eamon Dunphy on Irish tv is hilarious.

Some of the guys on BBC lately are extremely poor pundits, like Darren Peacock.

However, the best ever was when Claudio Ranieri was on tv last year!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:45 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:You have to laugh at Garth Crooks: could anybody be that eager and earnest?  :D

:D lol

do you notice that he seems to have an inability to form sentences whith more than 5-6 words in it? i remember one question to sven at the world cup.

"sven. wayne rooney. only 18. fantastic talent. still a lot to learn. how good can he be?

:D  :D  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:51 pm

For me Hansen stands head and shoulders above the rest.
John Barnes well need I say more except I forgive him  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:53 pm

actually i glad you mentioned john barnes and channel 5 because pat nevin is another tw#t who i can't stand.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby the great one » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:44 pm

st.machon :angry:
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:15 pm

i think danny murphy does quite a good job on itv, on the occasions ive seen he's been a lot better than the two hasbeens earle and townsend
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:21 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:i think danny murphy does quite a good joe on itv, on the occasions ive seen he's been a lot better than the two hasbeens earle and townsend

that's because he used to be an impressionist! when you say joe, i presume you mean joe strummer? :D  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:32 pm

Lets not forget Ian Wright
On second thoughts forget Ian Wright  :D  :D  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:45 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Lets not forget Ian Wright
On second thoughts forget Ian Wright  :D  :D  :D

yeah, someone should tell him that the general idea of being a pundit is to be "impartial". :D

good on "they think it's all over" though. better than that boring plank seaman.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:00 pm

John Barnes :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:30 pm

long time no posts from me. Hi all. Nice to see a fun thread without abuse and threats for a change.

I just wanted to add my vote for Alan Hansen. The man is a god in my eyes, was as a defender for us and still remains the best pundit going. Everyone pales into insignificance when he is around.

Andy Gray isn't bad. I actually find him less annoying now than in his early days as a commentator. He doesn't seem to be quite so reliant on his little toys as he once was. I do find his terrible bias towards ManU too much to take. That is why he loses points for me.

John Barnes makes Gary Lineker look like Des Lynam. Poor placement if ever I saw it.

I always get the feeling that they don't like Schmeichel on MOTD...constant interruptions to what he is saying and Gary Lineker ignores him on general discussions altogether. I actually don't think that Schmichel is that bad.

As I have called for before......Liverpool could do a lot worse than to get Hansen in as a defensive consultant. I know he doesn't want the mgt pressure as he couldn't handle it as a player either...ut it would work well for us.
Homebooby

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion