Is this the best premier league title race - Or the worst?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:22 am

Manchester United and Liverpool lose – again – while Chelsea draw: so is this the best Premier League title race yet, or the worst?

By Rob Kelly Football Last updated: December 21st, 2009

Another weekend of shock, intrigue and absolutely woeful defending: welcome to the Premier League 2009-10. We will reach the halfway point of this most unpredictable of seasons on Boxing Day, and it seems an appropriate point to consider whether this is the best title chase since the Premier League’s inception in 1992, or one of the worst.

Chelsea are generally considered by most to be the champions-elect. They are playing good football under Carlo Ancelotti, have the player of the season so far in Didier Drogba, and possess a squad that is unrivalled on these shores. Yet they are stumbling and their stuttering form in recent weeks has meant that despite their apparent pre-eminence, they lie just four points clear of Manchester United, and six clear of Arsenal, who have a game in hand. With the Africa Cup of Nations edging ever closer, there may be more twists ahead for inconsistent Chelsea. Even so, the suspicion remains that the title is theirs to lose, just as long as they can improve their set-piece defending.

I was at Craven Cottage on Saturday to report on Fulham v Manchester United. Fulham were absolutely fantastic: committed, ambitious and confident they could beat the reigning champions. United, on the other hand, were dreadful. Admittedly they were hamstrung by the fact that they have the sort of injury list you usually only see in dispatches from the front line, but even taking that into account they were almost shockingly ordinary.

Sir Alex Ferguson’s midfield used to be the envy of clubs across the globe, but this term it is noticeably lacking in inspiration. Without the coruscating presence of Cristiano Ronaldo, United lack spark, especially when Wayne Rooney is not at his best. United have relied heavily on the England forward and Ryan Giggs this season, but these two men cannot carry the weight of expectation for a whole club. Unless Ferguson opens his chequebook in January, it is hard to see how his side can maintain a title challenge. Five defeats before Christmas is not usually the hallmark of potential champions, but it would be foolish to rule out United, especially in a season where shock defeats have almost become the norm.

Arsenal meanwhile, have veered between the sublime and the supine. While at times they can be brilliant, they still lack leaders and a backbone. Without the injured Robin van Persie, Arsene Wenger’s attack is lacking a focal point, and with Nicklas Bendtner improving but still unconvincing, Eduardo badly struggling to rediscover his form and Carlos Vela apparently still not ready for regular first-team football, it makes them vulnerable. When you consider that they have still not shored up a defence that has leaked goals in recent seasons, it is hard to make a case to suggest that Arsenal will end their wait for the league title this term.

But what has made this season so intriguing thus far has been the rise of the challengers, led by the outstanding Aston Villa. Having collapsed after a similarly bright start to last season, Martin O’Neill’s men look better equipped to last the distance this term, and with an attack containing Ashley Young, James Milner and Gabby Agbonlahor, their top-four credentials should not be doubted.

Similarly Tottenham have finally started to fulfil their potential, with Jermain Defoe in quite magnificent form. Inconsistency may still prove their undoing as they challenge for a Champions League place, but with a squad that looks strong in all areas, they certainly have the quality to achieve a top-four finish. I tipped Harry Redknapp’s men to finish fifth this season, and I stand by that still, but then again I felt Liverpool would win the title, so maybe I should stay quiet about my predictions.

Liverpool have been a slow-moving car crash this term. Now seemingly drifting without any sense of direction, it is hard to know what the future may hold, especially if Rafael Benitez stays at the helm. On current form, and despite the Spaniard’s “guarantee”, a top-four place looks an optimistic rather than realistic goal. With Steven Gerrard hopelessly out of form, and Fernando Torres still struggling with niggling injuries, it will take an almighty effort to usurp Aston Villa, Tottenham, and even Manchester City.

So is this title race one of the best or the worst yet? In terms of drama, excitement and intrigue, it is most emphatically the former. However, if we are judging this purely on the quality of the teams right at the very top of the table, to my mind this cannot be counted a vintage campaign. There have been too many errors, too many failures and too many weaknesses. But who cares about that anyway? Bring on the drama. My tip: Chelsea to win the title by five points.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:35 am

It's a terrible league this season, absolutely awful.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:15 pm

I agree, its the fact that all of the top sides have gone backwards that has made it quite close so far this year.
16 defeats so far amonst last seasons top 3 is ridiculous.
And the other teams have not improved that much.
Spurs lost home to Stoke and Wolves this season so arent exactly consistent.

Villa obviously look better than last season but lets see if they maintain there form throughout the whole season.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Reg » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Chaos is good, it makes a mockery of the transfer fees, wage structure and clubs/managers/fans egos.

Suddenly top club debts look absurd considering their performance.

The club that should be taking advantage of it and isnt is Everton.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Well i'm not enjoying it that much
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:14 pm

From a neutral perspective it must be fantastic but for any Liverpool supporter its quite simply been hell
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:56 pm

The expected top four contenders have improved a lot. Spurs and City in particular are noticeably stronger, and Villa have maintained similar form to how they how they started last season and will have learned from last season's blip. The Manc's aren't anything like as good as they were, obviously neither are we, while Arsenal and Chelsea are perhaps marginally better.
LFC2007

Postby Rockthekop » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:12 pm

Worst I can recall, absolutely awful.
Rockthekop

Return to Premiership - General Discussion