Arsenal - Wtf !

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:39 pm

hard to say how Mertersacker will adapt... he has his moments but he isn't a dominant center half, however I think he will compliment Varmeleen
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:59 am

metalhead wrote:hard to say how Mertersacker will adapt... he has his moments but he isn't a dominant center half, however I think he will compliment Varmeleen

Bremen did barely survive the Bundesliga last year... I know it's the most unpredictable league in the world, of any sport, but they have a strong squad with players like him, Marin, Pizarro and Rosenberg.

Will be a good signing for them tho.  They could still do with Samba or Cahill although none would be willing to sit on the bench while Vermaelen plays for 6 of the 38 games.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby metalhead » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:11 pm

They have around 70m and they ended up with Yossi on loan.

???
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:21 pm

they were rumoured to have a pretty nifty warchest before the window opened and have ended it with what, £30m profit? ???

Wenger's a dead man walking now

EDIT - Arteta back on!

Not sure what to make of that in all honesty. Some depth has come in anyway, still lacking a striker though, not convinced this Korean guy from the French second division will cut it
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:45 am

they've sold a couple of Ferraris and replaced them with a couple of rusty old Fords  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:17 am

Its funny seeing all the comments here, I thought they did very well bringing in the players they did.

The Korean guy is a big talent and a step up from Bendtner imo. Probably 3rd choice behind Chamakh but I can see him being a decent buy for them given the price. Arteta is a wonderful footballer and paired with Song and Wilshere will fit right into their system. They also brought in Mertesacker to partner Varmaelen and Andre Santos to replace Clichy so their defense is a lot stronger than it was in the last 3 or so years. Benny will be a good option on the bench and Gervinho looks a top player and probably the best wide player at the club since Overmars, Ljungberg and Pires.

What they really need is for their best players to get back to playing at their best now (RVP, Song and Arshavin in particular) to have a chance of challenging for the top4 given their start.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:11 am

3rd best behind Chamakh says how poor he will be

Defence solid after signing a LB who has been dropped from the Brazil squad because he gifted two goals against Germany ?!?

Two injury prone midfielders to replace Fabregas and Nasri ?!

Mertasacker is their good buy .

Arsenal have had a massive panic buy
Benny The Noon

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:25 am

I thought I read Chamakh wanted away - I take it he didn't get his wish ? Useful player but perhaps not suited to the Premiership.....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:17 am

a lot of bitters are not too sad to see arteta go. they say he's been average since he came back from his injury 18 months ago anyway. he's also 29 so his best years are behind him.

fwiw i think mertesacker and santos will do well for them they're still screwed if van persie gets injured though. i've not seen a lot of this korean lad so it could be this season's hernandez for the price or he could take a season to settle in.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Greavesie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:45 pm

All I've heard about that Santos is he can't defend but is decent going forward, that's what the South American expert blokey said on the radio anyway and that's pretty much all I have to go on on that one

Not convinced about the South Korean guy, is a French second division player the answer? I think not but til we see him we can only speculate

From what I've seen of Mertesacker he isn't very mobile, again time will tell, forming a partnership is key there

Personally, I think Arteta for 10 mil is a steal, he looked awesome on a few occasions last season

Yossi, well, whatever :D

They've certainly addressed some problem areas so credit where its due and once their injuries and suspensions clean up they'll have a decent side. It's Arsenal, I expect them to be there or thereabouts, they're a threat again though imo and shouldn't be written off
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby metalhead » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:48 pm

aCe' wrote:Its funny seeing all the comments here, I thought they did very well bringing in the players they did.

The Korean guy is a big talent and a step up from Bendtner imo. Probably 3rd choice behind Chamakh but I can see him being a decent buy for them given the price. Arteta is a wonderful footballer and paired with Song and Wilshere will fit right into their system. They also brought in Mertesacker to partner Varmaelen and Andre Santos to replace Clichy so their defense is a lot stronger than it was in the last 3 or so years. Benny will be a good option on the bench and Gervinho looks a top player and probably the best wide player at the club since Overmars, Ljungberg and Pires.

What they really need is for their best players to get back to playing at their best now (RVP, Song and Arshavin in particular) to have a chance of challenging for the top4 given their start.

I don't know how you rate Chamakh, have you seen him last season? he was poor and looked poor, even Arsenal fan thinks he is average. As for Mertesacker he is a hit and miss, he lacks mobility and isn't a dominant center half, it might work out with Vermaleen though.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:14 pm

there are going to struggle this season i cant honestly see them finish in the top 6 i think Wenger should go and let a fresh pair of hands take over the managers job.
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:47 am

The Gooners had a terrible window. 2 of the Dailt Telegraph´s 5 worst buys were panic buys by the Goons, Arteta and the Oxi-Oxide guy.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 pm

:D

All of a sudden the arsenal fans who were bragging about their system a few seasons ago are now saying their system is :censored:... :laugh:

I've always said I hope our owners do not copy the arsenal way completely... you need both young talent and experienced players to succeed...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:25 pm

can't wait for the media to claim that arsenal are "back" after they stuff the mighty swansea at the weekend whilst we will be "brought back down to earth" if we don't win at stoke.

two weeks is a long time in football.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion