Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby heimdall » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:30 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:05 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:03 pm wrote:I want this wretch out of my club. Simply not good enough for our great club and his not going to get any better. If his still here at the beginning of next season, I will be gutted

he was probably one of our better players on the day, along with suarez, spearing and shelvey.

are you serious, one of our best players, how many shots did he have on target then? I'll confess that he looked quite lively, not saying he was good mind, in the first 10 minutes but other than that he was his usual oafish self.
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:39 pm wrote:
Boxscarf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:14 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:01 pm wrote:
as i said carroll is not the first forward to try and milk a pen out of an on rushing keeper, i`ve seen gerrard do it, fowler do it, owen do it, eduardo do it, henry do it, rooney do it infact over the years i`ve seen practically every forward who`s played the game do it. carrolls just looked worse because he didnt even trail a leg towards the keeper which the likes of gerrard and rooney tend to do.
i think carroll just saw the keeper rushing out and presumed he was going to get taken out and he probably thought if he wipes me out here it`s a pen and he`s off. the fact that he would have probably got a red and it was only 15 minutes into the game is probably why the keeper slammed the breaks on.

It doesn't matter who does it, it's still a form of deception, it's conning the referee and it's wrong. What happened with Carroll today should happen with all divers when caught. A straight yellow card for all offenders, if they do it again or appear to milk a challenge, another yellow, a sending off. I don't like seeing players simulating and cheating and I want it eradicated from the game. If Carroll had stayed on his feet, he might well have scored. We'd have been 1-0 up and who knows, we might have gone on to get another and might well have won the match.

i think that particular horse has bolted mate, diving is here to stay, an even more embaressing dive than carroll`s was perch`s but he got rewarded for it, we were down to 10 men.

yes rather surprisingly Carroll is even rubbish at falling down, although you'd think he had enough practice, just breath on him and he falls to the ground.
heimdall

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:55 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:49 pm wrote:
without him today we would have been over run, with about 2 minutes to go he tried to put a tackle in and ended up going down with cramp, he left everything he had out on that pitch, how many others today can say that?
maybe he`s not good enough to be a first team regular but he is a good back up and he`s one of the few today who showed any pride in wearing the shirt.

He put his shift in which is what Spearing will always do, but he gave the ball away too cheaply for my liking. I like the lad, but he just isn't going to be a success here. He's not good enough in all honesty and that showed against Newcastle today.
Boxscarf

Postby ethanr » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:47 pm

heimdall » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:51 am wrote:
ethanr » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:27 pm wrote:I thought he was our most lively player in the first half easily.  He was absolutely everywhere, trying to get involved in everything, and he looked the most likely to score.

Why he dove, I don't know.  I imagine he was expecting to get taken out and prepared himself to go down, but regardless it was a horrible decision after a really good play by him.

Either way I thought he actually had a pretty good game.  I think he'll be really motivated to get back out there and prove himself.

Why would he be more motivated now, and why hasn't he been motivated before, btw were you impressed with his headers, because I wasn't. I was always told that Carroll was really good in the air but I've never seen any evidence of that.

So his headers weren't perfect, but what about the play he dove on?  I was watching it on a feed that was a little blurry, and I thought it was Suarez the way he was moving with the ball at his feet.  We should be happy he's capable of doing this type of thing.

The reason people think he's so awful is because people like you sit here and say he's bad because his headers didn't look good, and that's why we bought him.  That's such a stupid way to look at things.  He was working harder then any player on the pitch today, and he did contribute more than most.  Of him and Suarez, he caused way more problems today.  He can do more than stand in the box and head the ball, but when he doesn't do that people slate him for it without recognizing the fact that he's massively improved in other areas of his play.  He's much more of an all around player then people like you are willing to admit, and that's why people follow suit so much and think he's trash.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:59 pm

Boxscarf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:55 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:49 pm wrote:
without him today we would have been over run, with about 2 minutes to go he tried to put a tackle in and ended up going down with cramp, he left everything he had out on that pitch, how many others today can say that?
maybe he`s not good enough to be a first team regular but he is a good back up and he`s one of the few today who showed any pride in wearing the shirt.

He put his shift in which is what Spearing will always do, but he gave the ball away too cheaply for my liking. I like the lad, but he just isn't going to be a success here. He's not good enough in all honesty and that showed against Newcastle today.

i disagree, i think if he was surrounded by good players he could come into the side and do a decent job, not every player needs to be a world beater, we had the likes of sammy lee and joey jones years ago.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:02 am

Lads, the only way to judge a striker is by GOALS.

Newcastle's Cisse has scored 7 goals in 7 games. Carroll has scored 3 times in 30 league appearences this season.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:13 am

Reg » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:02 pm wrote:Lads, the only way to judge a striker is by GOALS.

Newcastle's Cisse has scored 7 goals in 7 games. Carroll has scored 3 times in 30 league appearences this season.

in his first season at the club john toshack scored 5 league goals, thats the same john toshack who was one half of the strike partnership that dominated english football in the 70`s, that partnership didnt do bad in europe either, as johann cruyff found out in 1976 when toshack scored the winner at the nou camp.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:21 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:13 am wrote:
Reg » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:02 pm wrote:Lads, the only way to judge a striker is by GOALS.

in his first season at the club john toshack scored 5 league goals, thats the same john toshack who was one half of the strike partnership that dominated english football in the 70`s, that partnership didnt do bad in europe either, as johann cruyff found out in 1976 when toshack scored the winner at the nou camp.

Thats fine mate, but how many did he make for Keegan etc..? Carrolls not scoring nor creating. The understanding with Suarez isnt there.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:32 am

Reg » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:21 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:13 am wrote:

Thats fine mate, but how many did he make for Keegan etc..? Carrolls not scoring nor creating. The understanding with Suarez isnt there.

well the season he scored 5 in the league he didnt even create 1 single half chance for keegan never mind a goal, mainly due to the fact that keegan was at scunthorpe that season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:42 am

Good point.   BUT if he had been.....

Joking aside, the solution Shanks saw was that Tosh needed a different partner hence Keegan came in. Could be the same again that his partner isnt right?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:15 am

Andy showed glimspes today of what he can do. Forgiving the dive, he knocked a couple of lovely cross field balls to open up play.

The problem is this - unlike drogba or llorente, he lacks mobility and anticipation.

I have never seen him inside the 6 yard box bar that one shot over the goal today. He is far too stationary when crosses come in and just doesn't seem to move enough to cause problems. Hence, it's very easy to mark him out.

He's got it in him and is young enough - but does he care enough to step up to the next level? I suspect, we will need 1 more season to find out.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:37 am

well the season he scored 5 in the league he didnt even create 1 single half chance for keegan never mind a goal, mainly due to the fact that keegan was at scunthorpe that season.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

" :ghostface: "
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:40 am

:eyebrow  :eyebrow  :eyebrow

:ghostface:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby D___C » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:55 am

if u dont laugh you'll cry

Season long loan to stoke in the summer is my bet.
D___C

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:10 am

All 11 of them?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion