The prems most over rated players

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:47 pm

No it cant be wrong, he has great talent and is first choice for England but who is he up against?

Wes Brown, Warnock, Micah Richards and eh well thats about it unless you throw in good ol Gary Neville.

Personally I think Johnson is a good player but not a great player. Turn him into a winger and i believe he could become a great player but at the moment, as a right back, he is overrated :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Lampard, Cole, Terry, Given, Lescott, Fletcher, Van Persie, Agbonlahor,Walcott, Bellamy all good/decent players but are constantly called world class or top players by the majority when there just not.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:10 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:Lampard, Cole, Terry, Given, Lescott, Fletcher, Van Persie, Agbonlahor,Walcott, Bellamy all good/decent players but are constantly called world class or top players by the majority when there just not.

I'd be happy for Liverpool to sign 5 of them
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby aCe' » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:58 am

Mikel
Lescott
A.Young
Barry
Downing
Walcott

Varmaelen
Kuyt
G.Johnson
Mascherano
Carrick
Berbatov
Zhirkov
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:35 am

aCe' wrote:Mikel
Lescott
A.Young
Barry
Downing
Walcott

Varmaelen
Kuyt
G.Johnson
Mascherano
Carrick
Berbatov
Zhirkov

Mascherano

WUM
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:46 pm

What the hell?? Kuyt and Mascherano overrated? :laugh:
Fauxy

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Greavesie wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Half of our squad  :(  :blush:  :down:

no one even rates them mate  :D

:D

Ok here's a few who've been talked up:

Carlton Cole. Never a £10m+ player. Midtable player. Bitters at best.

Bobby Zamora. How he's done so well this season I'll never know. Historically he's been sh!te and he shouldn't be anywhere near the England squad.

Aaron Lennon. Fast and skillful but not sturdy or productive enough to be considered anything more than decent in my book.

Nadir Belhadj. Mentioned as a possible option for us but he's too much of a headless chicken for my liking.

With Zamora I think he's scored a fair few of his goals against ordinary sides at best

Birmingham h - decent side, but nothing that special
Burnley h & a - relegation zone
Sunderland h - nothing special
Hull h - relegation zone
Portsmouth a - relegated
Swindon h - league one
Notts County h - league two

Wolfsburg h & a - maybe German Champions but they are midtable of the Bundesliga this season

So add to the 10 above goals against Basle (x2), Vetra, Amkar Perm and a leaky citeh defence and 3/4 of his goals are against nothing special sides/defences. Sure he scored against Juve, Shakhtar and Man Utd but even Crouch occaisionally scores against decent sides and N'Gog scored against the mancs this season.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Teshie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:33 pm

G.  Neville for defender
R. Delap for most overrated mid
Berba most over rated striker
Teshie

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:48 pm

Joleon Lescott. I'd take the Greek over him anyday of the week which says it all.

Oh and John Obi Mikel. So painfully average it's unreal. If he didn't play for Chelsea we'd never have heard of him.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:00 pm

stmichael wrote:Joleon Lescott. I'd take the Greek over him anyday of the week which says it all.

Oh and John Obi Mikel. So painfully average it's unreal. If he didn't play for Chelsea we'd never have heard of him.

Didn't the mancs sign him and get £11m or something like that because Chelsea hijacked it? I wonder who feels better for that transaction.........................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Owzat wrote:
stmichael wrote:Joleon Lescott. I'd take the Greek over him anyday of the week which says it all.

Didn't the mancs sign him and get £11m or something like that because Chelsea hijacked it? I wonder who feels better for that transaction.........................

yeah something like that. it was the same with robben aswell. he'd already been shown round old trafford by their chiefs and then chelsea came in at the last minute and nicked him.

mikel wouldn't have improved their side anyway. i rate carrick and fletcher over him and i don't particularly rate either of them that highly either. a fit hargreaves is better than any of them but we all know the story there.

oh and let me add shay given aswell. gret shot stopper but doesn't command his area at all. i don't think i've ever seen him come off his line.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:49 am

I think Given is a VERY good keeper, but I think so many talk him up that he has to be over-rated. Ask anyone who the best keeper in the league is and you can bet top 2-3 will include Given as a given, I think there are a number of keepers will get a fraction of the mentions that are nearly as good if not as good. Of course part of it is the defence in front of him, always factored in as if a poor defence somehow means a keeper is better even though it means they have to concentrate longer and have the chance to make great saves and be excused for any that go in. I bet if Reina got a hand to it most would say he should have saved it, if Given got a hand to the same shot in the exact same circumstances, position etc, they'd say he did well to get a hand to it........................

Cech was much the same, massively over-rated and now excused through his head injury. Maybe it's just the exposure over time, people not factoring in defenders as an excuse for conceding. Not all mistakes have to be balls dropped, shots fluffed or spilled, I see a lot of keepers on TV who I instantly can see have come out on the wrong line and left their (usually) far post exposed too much, or don't come for a ball when they should, or rush out too early, there are lots of different types of mistake and not just howlers
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion