Wasted chances - Free-kick experts

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby addicted norwegian » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:13 pm

When Didi lines up for the free kick in the last minutes of the Manure match, I see three realistic outcomes:
1) The 150 km/h shot hits the manure wall
2) outside the post
3) way over the cross-bar

If it was Riise lined up, the difference would be that a 170 km/h shot hit the wall..

Free-kicks in this area would be considered a big chance for many a team (Arsenal with Henry, manure with Ronaldo, Newcastle with Shearer/Robert, Chelsea with Lampard and even for Everton with Gravesen just to mention some of them), but as I see it, the best we can hope for in these situations is a rebounce after hitting the wall.

I know that Riise has scored a couple of astonishing goals, but considering how many shots he needs to hit target, I reckon it`s a lot of chances wasted in between.

In comparison Real has collected two 1-0 wins on really off days, due to two freekick goals by Beckham

I hope that there are someone who can explain to me why we don`t allow someone else a shot. Preferably someone able to hit the target more often than once every two years

Any thoughts?
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:20 pm

we never replaced gary mcallister although murphy could claim to be a dead ball expert in his own right. both these players were finnesse players when taking free kicks. it was all about placement and getting the ball to curl and go up and down in a flash. neither of them hardly ever hit the wall.

i say give the free kicks to xabi alonso. he seems to have a decent shot on him, judging by that 50 yard effort on monday. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Storm » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:20 pm

When you haven't got a couple of routines out then yer blast it as hard as yer can.

Considering the training that players undertake you would think they would be able to do a bit more!
Storm

Postby redmachine » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:22 pm

I always thought Danny Murphy was very good at these situations. There is no doubt teams like those you have mentioned convert anything up to 10 or 15 of these into goals throughout a season. Something for the training ground perhaps.
redmachine

Postby addicted norwegian » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:28 pm

stmichael wrote:i say give the free kicks to xabi alonso. he seems to have a decent shot on him, judging by that 50 yard effort on monday. :D

I agree. I bet Sir Alex would have choked on his chewing gum if Carrol let that shot pass :D
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:00 pm

stmichael wrote:i say give the free kicks to xabi alonso. he seems to have a decent shot on him, judging by that 50 yard effort on monday. :D

I agree, I was so disappointed in seeing Didi stepping up to take the free kick it was so predictable. I was really hoping Alonso or Garcia was going to take it.

You can bet that if manure were 2-1 down and in the last minute f extra time(10th minute in their case) they would have scored
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:09 pm

apparently john welsh is a bit of a free-kick maestro. he scored a screamer for the reserves against brum last night. get him on the bench tomorrow ahead of biscuit and diao.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby addicted norwegian » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:14 pm

Boocity wrote:

I agree, I was so disappointed in seeing Didi stepping up to take the free kick it was so predictable. I was really hoping Alonso or Garcia was going to take it.

You can bet that if manure were 2-1 down and in the last minute f extra time(10th minute in their case) they would have scored

My point exactly. When Didi stepped up I could have gone to the bathroom to take a ******, knowing the score line would be the same when I returned. If it was the other way around, and manure were 2-1 down, getting a last minute freekick, the manure fans probably would ****** in their pants just to avoid missing out on the certain equalizer   :angry:
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:34 pm

Xabi can smack our freekicks

This is a serious point tho, many teams have a proper freekick taker that actually hit the target often, we should have a person that can hit fk's properly

some teams rely on set peices and fk's for goals
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Storm » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:46 pm

If Raf is as good as they say then he will fix it surely?
Storm

Postby A.B. » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:27 pm

I'm thinking Garcia,Alonso and even Warnock might be good. But mainly Alonso because he scored some wonderful goals for Real S. from free kicks
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby XSD » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:20 pm

Gerrard (though of course he is injured now) and alonso should be our free kick takers for the kind of range the manure one was at.
Riise for the slightly more distant ones.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:24 am

I'd say Alonso, but they use different balls in different competitions, in Spain they use a lighter ball then in England so Alonso mightn't be as good at freekicks as he was in Spain.  Hell the ball does make a difference no matter what you say, I can bend the addidas roterio (the Euro 2004 ball) like you-know-who but the one they use in the Premiereship I can't do sh*t with.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Dalglish » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:49 am

Do you know that Liverpool failed to score ANY goals from a free kick last season ? :O  Which for a top Premiership side is shockinga nd unacceptable. Neither Hamann, Rise, Gerard or Murphy converted a single free kick opportunity.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion