News Item - Champions League from the 2003-2004

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Chris Rundle » Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:04 am

Uefa's executive committee has decided to scrap the second round of the Champions League from the 2003-2004 season onwards.

There will still be 32 clubs involved at the start of the competition once the qualifying rounds have been completed.

The changes mean the following format will be introduced the season after next:

Eight groups of four will compete in phase one of the new-look competition.

There will then be a two-leg knockout system for the last 16, the quarter-finals and the semi-finals.

To reach the final, a team will play 12 games instead of 16.
Uefa president Lennart Johansson said the changes had been made with the best interests of the competition and European football in mind.

We want to see a better balance in European football, a less congested fixture list

Uefa president Lennart Johansson 
"We believe this reduction in the size of the competition is in the longer-term interests of everyone involved - clubs, players, fans, broadcasters, sponsors and European football in general.

"It is not easy to change a competition which is recognised as the best club event in the world, but sometimes you need to act for the future.

"We have been listening carefully to our stakeholders, and it is clear that there are a variety of views - however, we believe this is a moment for leadership in the wider interests of the game.

Zinedine Zidane helped Real Madrid to glory in May

"As the European governing body, Uefa has to consider many different factors, both sporting and commercial, and at the same time think ahead.

"We want to see a better balance in European football, a less congested fixture list for players and clubs and a flagship competition which has the right sporting mix and brand strength.

"Changing circumstances in the commercial environment are important, but so is planning for the future and basing your competitions on public interest and long-term development.

"We believe that this move will send the right signals to the whole of European football about how we can work together to tackle some of the challenges ahead," he said.
Webmaster

Please submit your comments and suggestions for enhancing this site to webmaster@liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk
Chris Rundle

Postby EURO CHAMPS BY 2005 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:09 am

WHAT CHANCE DO WE HAVE OF BEING IN IT. :(
EURO CHAMPS BY 2005

Postby supersub » Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:02 pm

after todays results there is a glimmer of hope
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Sun May 04, 2003 12:27 am

Well after todays debacle reds 1 Anelka 2 all we have to do is go to Chelsea and win.In doing so we will achieve the magnificent accolade of finishing 4th in the league.You can call me a synic but I believe you get your rewards for winning and coming 4th in any competition is failure.
U.e.f.a. have devalued all cup competitions throughout Europe for their own greedy,grubby,corrupt little hands.
They hand out places in the u.e.f.a. cup to anyone -the team with best discipline,whoever wins the summer intertoto's,the most improved team,the club with funniest mascot and rumour has it they have decided to give a place in the champions league to the club who signs Emile Heskey!
It's late and I'm totally ***** off after today.Still the one saving grace is Houllier has to put out a side that has got to try and win the game,hasn't he?
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Fri May 23, 2003 12:01 am

What a load of codswallop at Chelsea.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:26 pm

I have nothing against Chelsea, I rather they won the title than Arsenal or Man Utd.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:18 pm

I agree has
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:38 pm

I can't believe Houllier was happy to settle for a point at home to Man City ??? We should be aiming to win most of our home games and settling for draws against mid-table opposition speaks volumes about Houllier
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:13 pm

If you talking about settleing for less, then look to further than carragher, he said he was happy with 5th place and a worthingting cup winners medal.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion