Ridsdale - Death of the premiership

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:50 pm

Just been watching SSN and former Leeds and now Cardiff city chairman Peter Ridsdale has just come out with one of the cheekiest statements/interviews i have seen in a long while.

It only showed you parts of what he said, as i think it was to promote Cardiffs new stadium being built.
So am not sure how it got onto the Premiership and the new foreign billionaire or trillionaire takeovers, but he was basically saying that they will be the death of the premiership as we know it. Now thats not the part that irked me, he is probably right,it is getting ridiculous and doesnt look great for the competition side of things.
He was saying that its going to be the same teams competing for the major trophies every season - err thats nothing new is it ?

Then he went on to say (this is the part that smacks of hypocrisy) that players that were once worth say 8 million - are now moving for 20 million because of these clubs.
Hmmm wonder what happened at Leeds under Mr Ridsdale ?
Its in Fowlers book that Leeds could of had him for ALOT cheaper and paid well over the odds to secure his services and it was known that they were doing that with loads of O'Learys signings under Mr Ridsdale. The only difference now is the owners actually have the finances (except ours  :( )

Now i am not saying i like the current climate of these mega rich tycoons buying clubs as play things, BUT i am shocked and appalled that Ridsdale would come out with something condemning them for what he tried and failed at Leeds, its laughable  :D
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:13 pm

Risdale took a big gamble which if it had paid off would have probably seen a big 4 today without Chelsea. If he had taken the gamble just a few years later it would probably have seen a big four WITHOUT LIVERPOOL.

We were lucky that just after Chelsea took our place in the Big three, UEFA changed the rules and made it the big four, allowing us to regroup and by hook or by crook still get our CL place. Leeds wern't so fortunate.

It is very similar to our situation now, we have gambled our future on qualifying for the CL almost every season, if Man City get similar investment to that which Chelsea received and establish themselves as a top four club, will we fall by the wayside or will we hopefully remain whilst Arsenal slip away. This time there will be no UEFA RULE CHANGE TO SAVE US they won't change it to 5 places, if anything they may reduce it back to 3 which would probably mean the sale of many of our top stars just as happened with Leeds.

Ridsdale took a big gamble and failed, if it hadn't he would be lauded as a genius now, it failed so he's a moron.
account deleted by request

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:19 pm

saint i understand the whys and wherefores of the matter.

Just think its a massive case of the pot calling the kettle black.

He tried to get his way at cementing Leeds in the top four by throwing shedloads of cash (borrowed) at it, then blasts other clubs for trying the same tactic.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:26 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:saint i understand the whys and wherefores of the matter.

He tried to get his way at cementing Leeds in the top four by throwing shedloads of cash (borrowed) at it, then blasts other clubs for trying the same tactic.

Yeah I agree mate......... sorry, I answered a question you never asked before :D
account deleted by request

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:30 pm

s@int wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:saint i understand the whys and wherefores of the matter.

Yeah I agree mate......... sorry, I answered a question you never asked before :D

Your alwats doing it, and am sick an tired of it  :angry:

Messing mate, least you replied  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Ridsdale single handed took down Leeds Utd from being a top four Premiership side, into a mid table league 1 outfit.   

I’d buy him a pint for that!
:D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:15 am

7_Kewell wrote:Ridsdale single handed took down Leeds Utd from being a top four Premiership side, into a mid table league 1 outfit.   

I’d buy him a pint for that!
:D

O' Leary helped him with that also ! With all the talent he signed he couldnt buy success !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion