Hail the backroom staff! - Great article..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Sun May 22, 2005 9:41 pm

Read this in the Guardian today.. gives an insight in to the people who have helped the boss.. Read On ..  :)

Adios, boot room, the Spaniards are taking over

Guillem Balague
Sunday May 22, 2005
The Observer

Until the 1980s , when shipping-trade links between the countries dwindled and died, there was an Anglo-Spanish society in Liverpool. Nowadays the nearest cross- cultural organisation in the North-West is the Cervantes Institute in Manchester. Maybe, though, there will be an Anglo-Spanish revival on Merseyside, such is the level of appreciation for all things Spanish at Anfield.
The Kop have songs of praise for Rafael Benítez, Luis García, Xabi Alonso, Antonio Núñez and Josemi. And even Fernando Morientes, the forgotten man of the Champions League because he is ineligible, has his own song. The lyricists still have a way to go, though, if they are to cover all the Spaniards on Liverpool's books.

When Liverpool hired Benítez, they did not only acquire a Spanish manager, but a whole Iberian back-room team big enough to put to an end the 'boot room' system of years past. Gérard Houllier had a largely recognisable set of faces behind him - Phil Thompson, Sammy Lee, Joe Corrigan. There were exceptions: Frenchman Christian Damiano had a year at Anfield after replacing his similarly low-key compatriot Jacques Crevoisier. But few outside Anfield can put a name to the key faces behind Benítez.
At the end of Liverpool's semi-final victory over Chelsea, the usually discreet Paco Herrera, who travels around scouting for players and hardly ever crosses paths with the squad, was suddenly visible. Herrera, who has taken on board the job of rebuilding the inadequate database of potential transfer targets, could not stop himself rushing on to the pitch to share with the players the overpowering joy of qualifying for the Champions League final. As they walked off, he greeted every one with almost embarrassing enthusiasm.

It is unclear exactly where Herrera fits in the hierarchy. Is he chief scout or an assistant coach? 'He is my adviser,' says Benítez.

Herrera, a former player with Sporting Gijon and Levante, has coached teams in the Spanish first and second divisions (Merida, Badajoz, Extremadura) and his knowledge of European football, his reading of games and his coaching talent, have proved an essential helping hand to Benítez. J

osé Ochotorena is goalkeeping coach for Liverpool and the Spain team. He, too, has a good relationship with the players and sometimes takes on the role of agony aunt. Pako Ayesterán, who has worked with Benítez for the past eight years, takes charge of training, looks after the physical shape of the squad and also has a say in tactics. 'He is the best coach I have ever had,' says one senior squad member.

Now that Thompson is back on the satellite rolling results programme Soccer Saturday , Lee is free to concentrate on his work for England and Corrigan is a peripatetic goalkeeping coach, the British influence comes from Alex Miller, the former Aberdeen manager, who helps Benítez and the team to understand the demands of a domestic competition that has taken time to master, as well as playing a fatherly role with the English-speaking contingent. Miller is a survivor from the old regime, promoted to first-team coach from director of scouting. Benitez has shaken up the whole club, restructuring every aspect behind the scenes. He has been helped by the adulation of the fans, the success, at least in Europe, of his first season in charge and, most important, the total power offered to him by chief executive Rick Parry. But while he has taken the headlines, he could not have achieved the first stage of the transformation without the help of those he relies on in the background. Even when the staff increases next season because of the excessive demands on Herrera and Ayesterán, the former Valencia coach will try to find someone with similar characteristics, despite the interest of old Liverpool players in being part of probably the biggest revolution in the recent history of the club.

'I am proud of our technical staff and thankful to them too,' Benítez says. 'Paco Herrera is doing a very important job in the shadows. He not only talks to agents and finds out about players, he chats to me about tactics and analysis of games. Plus, off the pitch he has given players, especially the ones coming from Spain, the confidence, the tranquillity they sometimes lack. He is like a father to some.

'Ochotorena trains the goalkeepers, but he has a great personality and also helps with the analysis of situations. Alex Miller gives us the British point of view and a local vision of what we are doing. There is a good harmony among us and I would include there the physios, doctors, kit men, et cetera. It was going to be very difficult to be as comfortable and happy as we were in Valencia, but I can certainly say I have found another place that is treating us as well and that we are enjoying as much.'

The long professional relationship with Ayesterán is one of the key reasons for Benitez's success at Tenerife, Valencia and now Liverpool. They have accumulated a wealth of information about training systems and tactics. 'We are still open to anybody that can teach us new ways to do things,' Benítez adds. 'Pako is very dedicated, very knowledgeable and always learning. Without any doubt he is the best physical trainer there is, and now he works here as an assistant manager, I place on him many of the jobs I used to do at Valencia. I need to delegate as I am now the general manager. Ochotorena, Herrera and the others get all sorts of information and Pako Ayestarán is the one who gathers it all together and gives it shape.'

The directors at Valencia used to complain that Benítez never stopped asking for the latest computer, the newest software. Although he used statistical analyses in rotating his Valencia team, it is not the machines that hold the secret of his success but the humans next to him."
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun May 22, 2005 9:53 pm

.. also in the Guradian .. the class of Xabi.. read on .. :)

Clever Xabi sets the pass mark

Guillem Balague
Sunday May 22, 2005

'And coming off is number four, Don Xabi Alonso.' That's what you would hear from the speakers at the Anoeta Stadium in San Sebastián whenever Real Sociedad took off their midfielder in the two years before he moved to England. 'Don' was used as a mark of respect, one that has been replaced at Anfield by the phrase 'Xabi is class', which can be heard from supporters all around the ground after every precise pass from the Basque. In other words, very often.

Xabi Alonso seems older, both on and off the pitch, than his 23 years. He is already the player his team-mates look for, the one who never hides, the manager's coach on the pitch. He looks as though he has already seen it all and done it all and he walks around at Liverpool with the same serenity with which he assumed the role of leader at Real Sociedad.
His father, Periko, was a member of the Sociedad team that won the club's only two league titles, in 1981 and 1982, before moving to Barcelona. Although Xabi was a baby when that team provided nearly half the Spain team and never saw his dad play, he shows his football intelligence by challenging the popular misconceptions. 'People say he was a physical player, a defensive midfielder. I have seen the videos and yes he was strong, but he knew how to play the ball, how to distribute it.'

Xabi knows, too. He is an organiser, the axis of a team, with a special vision and understanding of the game; the sort of leader who does not need an exaggerated outburst of anger to be heard or respected.

He is modest, too. 'Me? Leader of what?' he repeats every time he is asked about his role. 'The midfielders are important, they have to offer themselves to receive the ball and make good use of it, take choices, try not to lose the ball and defend. But I don't feel like a leader at all.'

Steven Gerrard is the player most widely seen as the key to Liverpool's fortunes but Alonso's name is chanted before the cap tain's when the team run out at Anfield. His partnership with Gerrard has not yet completely taken off because both have suffered from injuries and the odd suspension at different times during the season, restricting them to fewer than 20 games together. It could be the foundation for Liverpool for years to come.

'Stevie covers lots of ground, goes forward more often and has an impressive shot,' says Alonso. 'I keep the ball, offer myself for the pass, mix short and long passes and go forward less frequently. In England in the past, when long balls were the rule, the central midfield player did not have to link the game. But I see more and more players like that in the Premiership now.

'Liverpool have always been a bit more continental and I have been told about Jan Molby, Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness. You can see and hear the reaction in the stadium when you make three consecutive good passes. Anfield supporters have been taught good football.'

Dalglish describes Alonso as 'the pick of the players that have come in this season' and Molby is flattered by comparisons made in the stands between him and Liverpool's new star. 'A lot of things he does, I suppose I was capable of,' says the Dane. 'Central midfield is a busy area and obviously it helped having the right team-mates around me, but I could play a game at the pace that suited me. It's possibly more difficult to do that today because a lot of people can only play at a hundred miles an hour. He's got a good head on a young pair of shoulders.

'Watching the last 15 minutes of the second leg of the Champions League semi-final against Chelsea, I couldn't help thinking that if he'd been there [Alonso was suspended] he might have made another goal with one pass and put the game beyond them. What was needed was a little bit of calmness in the middle of the park. Alonso would've been in his element.'

Alonso wears none of the glitzy paraphernalia that tends to come with being a football star these days and, while he lived with his parents in San Sebastián, he now lives in a flat where he watches only English TV (no Spanish satellite), to help him to learn a new language, and continues his business studies. It is a stone's throw from Liverpool city centre, where he can be seen walking, absorbing the atmosphere, immersing himself in the business of living in a foreign country.

'It is a great new step in my career,' he says. 'I really hope to be here for a long time. I was sold on the club, the new project with Rafa Benítez, and we can already see his hand in everything that is happening.'

He certainly has no regrets. 'I had it in my head I was staying at Real Sociedad when all the rumours were flying around about me going to Real Madrid. And when I was told, after long negotiations, I was going to Liverpool, I was set on that. It was not disappointing not to go to Madrid.

'What is happening in Liverpool is a huge adventure and I was ready for this change in culture. I've accepted what England can offer and I feel part of it. I used to live in San Sebastián with my family and friends, but now I spend most of the time with people from the club. I must adapt and I am happy to do so. People in Liverpool are very welcoming. I hardly miss anything from home; maybe a big fresh-fish meal, but I've even found places to buy the same tinned tuna I used to eat at home.'

Alonso's calm character and footballing repertoire were the stuff of legend when he was still a teenager. He spent the first six years of his life in Barcelona, but as soon as he moved to San Sebastián, he started playing football on the city's La Concha beach. At Antiguoko, the modest team where his career started before he signed, with his brother, for Sociedad, they say: 'Nothing that happens in a match unsettles him.'

What about that yellow card in the first leg of the semi-final against Chelsea, when Eidur Gudjohnsen appeared to dive? Distraught on the pitch, by the time he left the ground Alonso had accepted it. 'I was sad to miss the second leg, but all I hoped was that we made it to the final. These things happen,' he says.

In January 2001, with Sociedad bottom of the league, new manager John Toshack recalled Alonso from a loan spell with neighbouring club Eibar. Alonso had been sent there by the former coach Javier Clemente (who in the meantime had been replaced by Alonso's father for a brief two-month spell before Toshack arrived). Alonso told his manager that he was 'not afraid of responsibility' and the Welshman made him captain in the hope of avoiding relegation. Alonso was 19. Sociedad stayed up.

Toshack could not recall a former youth-team player causing such an impact at the club: 'Everyone seemed to play better when he was on the pitch,' he says.

Molby adds: 'He's got what I call football intelligence. He doesn't have to score and he's never going to be a double-figures man, but you can tell he gets more pleasure out of creating chances for others.

'I remember seeing him play for Sociedad and he impressed me in Euro 2004 when he came on for Spain a couple of times. Every pass he made, I was saying, "That's the right one, that's the right one." When he signed for Liverpool, a lot of fans would've said, "Xabi who?" But I knew this kid was special. He'll only improve, too, when Benítez builds a team that'll keep the ball better. You can tell Alonso is absolutely central to his plans.'

Alonso had no particular footballing hero as a youngster. 'I used to enjoy watching Ronald Koeman, even though he didn't play in my position. I loved the way he hit the ball, the talent he had to position himself.' Alonso has never played in defence, attack or even in a wide position, which is why he distributes with the pace and understanding of a more experienced player. 'When you have done the same thing for so many years, you end up doing it naturally and effortlessly,' he says.

Iñaki Sáez, who gave Alonso his international debut in 2003, is convinced he will be the brains of the Spain team for a decade. 'He has a fantastic range of accurate passing, sees football with an extraordinary clarity and plays with two touches,' Sáez says. 'He stops, thinks and passes. He moves the game in the opposite way to where it's going and will learn to steal balls because he has the body for it.'

Sáez gave Alonso control of central midfield in the return leg of the play-off for Euro 2004 against Norway. His job was to pass the ball and, of 581 Spain passes that night (Primera Liga matches average 442), he made 98, more than anybody else, and more than one a minute. His comment afterwards? 'We played very comfortably and that helped the stats.'

As Liverpool team-mate Jamie Carragher says: 'Passing-wise not many players in Europe are on a level with him.'

Benítez says that he could be as influential to today's team as Dalglish was to the class of the late 1970s and 1980s and as Dennis Bergkamp has been at Arsenal. Dalglish scored the winner in the 1978 European Cup final, against Bruges, at the end of his first season at Anfield. Nothing would please Alonso more than emulating that achievement in Istanbul on Wednesday.

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun May 22, 2005 9:55 pm

Great article we dont really appreciate them in the back ground but they have done a great job so far in the first season, and Mark waller the club doctor has worked a miracle on Cisse  :bowdown big respect to them all.
Interesting that article as I heard the other day we will be getting an english man in to help with the premier league dont know who though, maybe an ex player.?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun May 22, 2005 10:03 pm

The xabi one is excellent aswell read some of it earlier today, hes a gem I love him.
2 great articles mate  :bowdown  :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun May 22, 2005 10:07 pm

.. lol new you'd like the Xabi one.. what do ya reckon . should u and I pay him a friendly visit in his apartment .. :;): :D

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun May 22, 2005 10:08 pm

zarababe wrote:.. lol new you'd like the Xabi one.. what do ya reckon . should u and I pay him a friendly visit in his apartment .. :;): :D

:D aha he lives by VBD  :laugh:

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun May 22, 2005 10:50 pm

:laugh: get yer best rags on girl.. I feel a party comin on .. :D

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun May 22, 2005 10:58 pm

zarababe wrote:get yer best rags on girl.. I feel a party comin on ..

:D speakin of him, the yacht is in the  albert dock if he sees all us next sunday, he will probably come over for a nose to see whats happenin :glare:  :D  :laugh: :devil:
Last edited by Ciggy on Sun May 22, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Sun May 22, 2005 11:02 pm

Now came down girls....leave pure Xabi alone - I doubt he could handle the both of you!!!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun May 22, 2005 11:05 pm

hawkmoon269 wrote:Now came down girls....leave pure Xabi alone - I doubt he could handle the both of you!!!

:devil:  :love:  :devil:  :love:  We promise we will be gentle  :eyebrow

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Sun May 22, 2005 11:07 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
hawkmoon269 wrote:Now came down girls....leave pure Xabi alone - I doubt he could handle the both of you!!!

:devil:  :love:  :devil:  :love:  We promise we will be gentle  :eyebrow

Yeah...but he has an important match coming up....he'll need all his strength
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun May 22, 2005 11:08 pm

.. speak for yer self doll.. I'm gonna teach him what luvin is all about :D

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Sun May 22, 2005 11:10 pm

zarababe wrote:.. speak for yer self doll.. I'm gonna teach him what luvin is all about :D

Can I watch!!!  :D
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun May 22, 2005 11:13 pm

.. ??? this ain't no peep show Hawky.. how much you willing to pay to watch .. :D

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Sun May 22, 2005 11:15 pm

zarababe wrote:.. ??? this ain't no peep show Hawky.. how much you willing to pay to watch .. :D

If I'm being forced to pay, then I want to video it.
£50 for the 1st hour - £15 for every hour after that.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion