4-3-3 - The answer to the problem?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:25 pm

Over the past few weeks ive come to the conclusion that we should try a 4-3-3 formation, as i think it can get all our best players on the pitch in an attack minded postive formation, i also think we have the perfect players for the system, something like this:

GK.Reina
RB.Finnan    CB. Hyypia    CB. Carragher    LB. Riise 

DM. Alonso   DM.Mascherano

CM.Gerrard ©
RFW. Babbel                                     LWF.Kewell
                            CF.Torres

With this lineup, we solve the problem of playing Alonso and  Mascherano in the same side, it also suits Rafa's preference for secure central midfield players protecting the back four, the system free's Gerrard of some defensive responsibilty alowing him to roam from box to box. I think having the three of them together will work well because it gives the perfect blend of defensive security, creative passing, surging runs and goals.

In a 4-3-3 i really think we can see the best of Ryan Babbel. This is the system he has played his whole career for Ajax and Holland and i think he could be very effective there for us as its a cross between playing the wing and playing upfront, not tying him down to running the wing all game, allowing him to cut inside and make some of those powerful shots, as well as creating chances.

Kewell im sure will have no problems in the position as he is a very versatile and intelligent player who can create and score.

Torres is just Torres and will Lead the line with his excellent all round ability. Just interested to see peoples opinions on the idea and to see if they think it would work for us.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:13 pm

Couldn't agree more with you.  I really think this formation will benefit everyone. Why limit the team with 2 CM when we could have all three  of them contributing with something different.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby JC_81 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:17 pm

There's no doubt that on paper at least, that this formation allows us to play our best players in their best positions.

I do have a few reservations about using it on a regular basis though.

1.  If teams match up and play the same formation against you then the midfield becomes too congested and lesser teams can shut up shop and make it difficult for you

2.  Whether the system works is largely dependent on how good your wide players are.  If they aren't playing well, aren't getting on the ball and aren't putting the fullbacks under pressure then they end up getting pushed back and you end up with a 4-5-1 rather than a 4-3-3.  Are Babel and Kewell good enough and consistent enoughto do this on a regular basis?  I'm not so sure.  The only team I've seen really make it work is Chelsea a few years back when Duff/Cole/Robben were all fully fit and producing week in/week out on the wings.  Plus they have the ultimate target man for this formation in Drogba.

3.  I'm yet to be convinced that this formation gets the best out of Gerrard.  I still prefer him on the right or in the centre of a 4-4-2, where he can get on the ball and drive us forward.  If you start with Gerrard in such an advanced position, then you are relying on other players to get the ball to him in good positions.  I prefer it when it's gerrard getting on the ball and playing other players in, and making his runs from deeper.

Having said all that I think the formation has it's uses for certain games.  For instance I think Man City will play an open game against us on Sunday and this might be a good formation for us to start with.  I think it would allow us good possession away from home and a good platfrom to build upon.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby holylamb2006 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Having said all that I think the formation has it's uses for certain games.  For instance I think Man City will play an open game against us on Sunday and this might be a good formation for us to start with.  I think it would allow us good possession away from home and a good platfrom to build upon.

Ye but i think Rafa will play  it safe on sunday against Man City AND GO FOR A 4-4-2

REINA
FINNAN   CARRAGHER SAMI   ARBELOA
BENAYOUN  GERRARD MASCH  KEWELL
            KUYT  TORRES

Thats just my opinion cause i can't see Rafa go for a different formation due to the fact of last weeks game ...
holylamb2006

Postby stmichael » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:09 pm

john craig wrote:I think the formation has it's uses for certain games.  For instance I think Man City will play an open game against us on Sunday and this might be a good formation for us to start with.  I think it would allow us good possession away from home and a good platfrom to build upon.

If the game on Sunday is as open as the game against Blackburn was last night I think we'll kill them.

I've always said that this formation suits our players the best. Certainly Torres can play as the lone striker as he's strong and can also run the channels. Babel played right of a front three for holland under 21's. We just need a top class left sided attacker who can also chip in with a few goals. We can't rely on Kewell who may not even be here next season anyway.

What is for certain is that your wide players have to have pace in this formation. Chelsea proved it when they had Duff and Robben playing wide in Maureens first season. Now they have Wright Phillips, Joe Cole, Kalou, Malouda etc. If we do play this system in future, Voronin should be nowhere near the pitch and Crouch should only be used as the main target man in Torres' absence. Playing those two wide at Reading was complete nonsense.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:27 pm

I think Arebloa is more suitable to play if we go 4-3-3.  If you are a big Finnan fan, then he has to play on the left, or if you like Aurelio then put Arbeloa on the right.  I think if you have fullbacks that can push up and add the width in midfield when needed, then you don't risk the danger of falling into a 4-5-1. also I like the 3 in midfield to look more like
                         Mascherano
           Gerrard                      Alonso/Lucas
  Babel                Torres                        Kewell

This puts Stevie right of centre and since there is only 1 defensive midfielder (masherano) he can split the duties of the other defensive midfielder with Alonso/Lucas, which in my opinion is a good thing.  He would be playing right of centre but Babel would be the Right Winger, so he still has room to run pretty much anywhere from all angles, but with somewhat of a lease, which is probably good for him than if he had two defensive midfielders behind him and an absolutely free role.  Alonso isn't left footed, but I don't think that matters much, because he will be able to make deep diagonal passes to babel would could lead to knockdowns for Gerrard filling the gap or crosses to Torres or Kewell.  But because Alonso is right footed, that might mean that Aurelio or Riise should play LB
JoeTerp

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:27 pm

every time we play that 4-3-3 formation we have a good ten minutes until the opposition figure out what we are up to then we get over run, like in the derby at goodison.
lescott basically had a free reign to do what he wanted.
we played it again at reading at look what happened there.....
i think 4-4-2 suits us better.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:36 pm

stmichael wrote:
john craig wrote:I've always said that this formation suits our players the best. Certainly Torres can play as the lone striker as he's strong and can also run the channels. Babel played right of a front three for holland under 21's. We just need a top class left sided attacker who can also chip in with a few goals. We can't rely on Kewell who may not even be here next season anyway.

What is for certain is that your wide players have to have pace in this formation. Chelsea proved it when they had Duff and Robben playing wide in Maureens first season. Now they have Wright Phillips, Joe Cole, Kalou, Malouda etc. If we do play this system in future, Voronin should be nowhere near the pitch and Crouch should only be used as the main target man in Torres' absence. Playing those two wide at Reading was complete nonsense.

I also think that Pennant doesn't really have a place in a 4-3-3 because he is not a goal threat.  It certainly seems like Rafa's goal is to be able to play in a 4-3-3, we are stacked in central midfield, Kuyt and Voronin were supposedly used to playing out wide for their countries in a 4-3-3, same with Babel, and then look at the reserves, Anderson could play as an attacking right winger, that was sort of El Zhar's posiiton before he came here, Nemeth can operate out wide (and score goals), Amoo is perfect for an attacking right winger (scores goals, blinding pace, but needs to work on crossing), Lindfield is a goal poaching target man
JoeTerp

Postby Bermenstein » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:58 pm

I definitly agree with this formation, but as I have said in another thread, Gerrard has to stay up there with Torres.
With Masch and Alonso in there, they are well capable of doing the defence mid duties.

But Gerrard has a natural inclination to drop deep. He likes to dictate, so I honestly believe we may have to buy a star "No 10" to fill that role, which may entail sacraficing Mascherano.

If this formation is to be potent and effective, Gerrard is gonna have to play almost as a second striker, the old Heskey role.
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion