Wenger... - ...past it?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:32 pm

Wenger is coming in for some serious flak from the media and from Arsenal fans presently.  Basically, do you think it is justified or not?

I think it's seriously over the top to be honest and calls for him to be sacked are laughable.  He's proven his worth by winning trophies in the past and has built some excellent championship winning teams.  He has kept Arsenal ticking over nicely in terms of CL qualification despite serious restrictions on his spending power due to the costs of the Emirates.  He is brave enough to show faith in youngsters and give them a chance.  When the Emirates was built everyone said that Arsenal would struggle to compete for a while because their wage budget and transfer budget would be restricted... so why the fu.ck are people surprised at that now that it's happened??

I think Wenger is his own worst enemy at times.  Instead of coming out and admitting they will be struggling financially for a while and may not win major trophies, he has heaped huge pressure on a young team by professing that they play the best football in Europe and can win major honours.  For a while he had his fans and the media fooled, but the sh.it is hitting the fan now and clearly he will win sod all with that squad in it's current state.

Essentially I think Wenger has brought a lot of this pressure upon himself, but they would be foolish to sack him as he's one of the best managers English football has had.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 12, 2009 9:53 pm

I have loads of respect to Wenger, and I'd say that from Spain that's a general view. No surprise he's one of the candidates for teams like Real Madrid.

His net spend indicates that he's been fighting in inferior conditions against very powerful teams. He has seen aswell how the media doesn't mention the top three any more, but the top four, and he has seen Rafa Benitez's Liverpool overtaking him in popularity.

Football is very ungrateful with anybody when the results go pear shaped, and our own manager made all the way from clown to a respected manager in less than three months. The media is like that.

I have lots of respect to that manager.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue May 12, 2009 10:44 pm

Wenger bought predominantly aspiring young French players to supplement his team ,and this was at a time when France dominated world football,his knowledge of the French league was unsurpassed and he flourished with the players he integrated into an already blossoming force in football .

Cue the Invincible' s which included such names as Pires ,Henry,Bergkamp ,Viera ,Wiltord ,Campbell ,Edu,Kanu the list is endless .
I can honestly say they played the game like every fan would wish to see their own team play ,without fear and supreme confidence with of course no little talent .

I think now though Wenger can see that burgeoning young talent can sometimes struggle if they are not surrounded by class players ,Arsenal have severely missed the invention of Rosicky and the accomplished forward play of Eduardo ,the sale of Hleb and  Flamini was baffling to say the least and I suspect the Arsenal fans knew this .
Wenger knows Denilson and Diaby are just not in the same bracket as the aforementioned players and whilst I am sure Vela will turn into an absolute gem as will Ramsey ,I suspect Wenger knew deep down the arduous near impossible task he had handed Fabregas and Co ,to carry the team single handedly on his talented shoulders .

Arsenal will be back next season playing exciting football ,and Wenger will buy wisely to inject solidity into his Midfield and defence,of that I am almost certain ,but this season he has watched enviously as  Liverpool have  played the type of attacking football that he was  once renowned for ........
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Tue May 12, 2009 10:50 pm

When they play well everyone is on his dick. But eventually the fans will want silverware. He has done well to balance the books and he has bought really well. But I think he overestimated what the youth were capable of this season. But i'm sure with a few experienced players they will do well. They also seem to always have lots of injuries. Rosicky, RVP ect...
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yolz » Wed May 13, 2009 4:26 am

Wenger INO is one of the best managers around
Even old whiskey nose couldn't do an "invincible" run to the title
I think RedBeerGoogles got it spot on with the fact that this season, the youngsters were not surrounded and molded with a core of experienced class players
And they did have an awful run of bad luck with injuries and the like
Fans and hysteria always leads to asking the manager to be sacked
But don't they ever stop to consider who they're going to bring in to replace the current manager?
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby babu » Wed May 13, 2009 4:38 am

My 2 Cents

I think you would have to be an idiot to say Wenger is past it. (no offense meant to thread starter).

He has done a magnificent job without spending a bucket load of money. I believe Arsenal must be in excellent shape financially, which means they can defend themselves from take over bids. Wenger must get some of the cudos for this.

He also has an unbelieveable eye for young talent, unfortunately primarily overseas talent, but not completely.

It would be disatrous for Arsenal to let him go, who could do a better job than him at Arsenal? I can't think of anyone.

I don't like the french tw@t and I have also had the misfortune of meeting him twice, awfully stuck-up and rude. But that has nothing to do with him being a good manager for Arsenal.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:24 am

babu wrote:I think you would have to be an idiot to say Wenger is past it. (no offense meant to thread starter).

:laugh:

Clearly you've replied to the thread title (which was just for sake of discussion) rather then my thread opener which has my actual opinions on the subject :cool:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed May 13, 2009 9:15 am

I agree with what pretty much everyone has said, including John. He's a brilliant manager and they'd be absolutely insane to get rid of him. I have a feeling that Arsenal will significantly improve next season (I know, lets not get started again) and that Wenger will once again be flavour of the month.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed May 13, 2009 10:01 am

john craig wrote:
babu wrote:I think you would have to be an idiot to say Wenger is past it. (no offense meant to thread starter).

:laugh:

Clearly you've replied to the thread title (which was just for sake of discussion) rather then my thread opener which has my actual opinions on the subject :cool:

which is why i put the disclaimer in brackets. I was referring to the media and a few pundits, not you.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion