Everything started with the departure of the god! - Is it only a superstition?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby MuratCem » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:25 am

Think about it...We won 5 cups in 2001,coz Robbie was there with his sharpness...what do we lack today?finishing!!!is it clear...GH doesnt have a clue to realise the importance of Robbie Fowler for LFC frontline...and he never will..
MuratCem

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:49 am

:(  GH has run out of ideas, it,s time he moved on! if we are to progress, otherwise we will continue to go backwards. he  has lost the plot...give us MARTIN O" NEILL?...or better still come back KING "KENNY!!  :D
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:23 am

Fowler was hanging on for a free transfer like his mate mcmanaman so the 11million leeds payed was good business.Litmanen and mcallister were just as important that season and we havent found anyone nearly as good.Who`s fault is that?one man-gerard houllier.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:41 pm

MuratCem wrote:"Think about it...We won 5 cups in 2001,coz Robbie was there with his sharpness...what do we lack today?finishing!!!is it clear...GH doesnt have a clue to realise the importance of Robbie Fowler for LFC frontline...and he never will.."

I think you are looking at the past with rose tinted glasses.
Robbie was definitely not sharp in 2000/2001, and he was already passed his best. I'm no longer a fan of Houllier, but he was right to sell Fowler, and I think his desicion has been proved right with Fowler's subsequent performances for Leeds and Man City. Fowler looked fat and uninterested in his few games at the start of the 2001/02 season.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Mark_Walters » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:45 pm

Selling an unfit overweight fowler to Leeds for 11 million was one of GH's best coups. Just look at Leeds and Fowler now.

Buying Diouf instead of Anelka obviously his worst.
Mark_Walters

Postby redandblue » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:52 pm

The real problem at Anfield rests with the chairman, David Moores. He has overseen the decline of one of England's greatest clubs and certainly the most successful, both domestically and in Europe. His stubborn refusal to sack the manager is beyond belief. This Liverpool team is in real trouble and results over the past year have been awful.......over the past 35 games, Liverpool are on about the same points total as Bolton, Leeds, Spurs and Villa. Even Fulham. Liverpool are a massive 40 points behind United over the same period. It is clear that GH passed his expiry date a long time ago. But it really is incredible that Moores has settled for mediocrity. Liverpool once stood for top-drawer class and quality, both on and off the pitch. Sadly, this is no longer the case. Make no mistake, the club is in trouble.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rui446 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:02 pm

For me player for player we have enough talent to challenge for the league but the tactics employed by GH are so absurd they border on insanity..... We were the pioneers of the passing game .....yet now we play the age old long ball with little ar no luck.... where is the famous pass and move ........ GH thanks for all you have done.... i appreciate what he had done for the club....but it is time for fresh ideas .
rui446

Postby supersub » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:51 pm

I believe we have the players to improve our attacking options,but are not used to their best ability by GH.It's no coincidence that when Heskey returned to the first 11 certain players reverted back to the hoof-up the field game and by-passed the talented midfield.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby big al » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:00 pm

Absolutely spot on super-sub. We have good players but Houlier can't seem to get the best out of them.  Heskey is a very good example. Emile is a great kid and has a lot of promise but he needs to be encouraged and developed GH can't do that. S maybe its O'Neill After all.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:57 am

While I agree with everybody when you say that the players should be doing better I still think we are short of at least two players to win the Championship, Houllier or no Houllier. The £20 million he spent on Diouff, Diao and Cheyrou would have been better spent on someone like Anelka and a decent creative midfielder.

I know Diouff is improving but he's no Anelka.

Had Houllier spent wisely in the summer of 2002 and got in Finnan and Kewell this year I think we would have a great chance of winning the League, but things are now falling apart, and the current situation reminds me a lot of the autumn of 1998, when everything went haywire.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby istvan kozma » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:58 am

fowler  only  played  a  cameo  in  2001  -  the  problem is  that  the  2001  side  always  expected  to  win  - they  had  a  great  run  -  todays  side  we  expect to  lose  all  the  time . every time  we  win  a  match h  says we've  turned  a  corner  which  is  really  frustrating
istvan kozma

Postby JBG » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:50 pm

Fowler showed some grat form in 1999/2000, especially at the start of the season when he played a blinder against Arsenal at Anfield, after the game Houllier said that Fowler was developing into a "Denis Bergkamp" type player. Fowler was ok for the remainder of that year but suffered from injury.

Houllier then bought Heskey and started playing "power football" with a lot of balls up to the big man or balls over the top to Owen. This didn't suit Fowler's style of play as he prefers the ball to be played into his feet.

Houllier's style of play was vindicated the following season as the side won some trophies and Fowler only played a small part of that success, as Owen and Heskey were the first choice. Fowler scored a few nice goals after coming on as sub, but he was no longer first choice. People didn't complain much as the team seemed to be going places.

The following year, 2001/2002 Fowler was absolutely dreadful. He looked overweight and un-interested and I remember a game at Anfield where we drew 0-0 with Rapid Bucharest in the UEFA Cup. Fowler had a stinker and missed a penalty under the Kop. At this stage he was a liabilty when picked and I thought that success had gone to his head.

Robbie Fowler is my favourite Liverpool player of all time after John Barnes but he looked complacent and lethargic in his last 12 months at Anfield.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby istvan kozma » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:17 pm

too  true -   its  hard  to  see  him  getting  back  to  the  player  he  was - and  keegan  knows  it .
istvan kozma

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion