1986 - replay of that game - Villa park 14th oct

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:37 am

Remember this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE4tTgyEag8 - the best football tune ever ( I have a 45" vinyl version :oh: )

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....search=

and  this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....search= 

well 14th October there's a rematch - BE THERE  :D

The class of 86 - the best world cup ever- Argentina v England.. and the genius that is Diego will be there.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:21 am

Erh, erh. 1966 was the best WC, played in the Motherland of football and won by the Motherland of football, E N G L A N D !!!
66-1112520797

Postby Big Niall » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:33 pm

Never has a player been so much better than every other player in the world than Maradonna. Take him out and the Argentina team wasn't much good. I think he is the best ever.

Zarababe - I read somewhere that many Argeninians say that di Stefano was better, do they? unfortunately due to poor quality of TV back then he is lost to current day fans.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:27 pm

As far as I know Di Stefano is well behind Maradona and Kempes.

He was the best at his position, as was Baresi and Marco Van Basten, to pick one from the 3 is six of one ....

Maradona got away with murder in that game-shouldnt even have been on the pitch to score the great goal that followed. England were playin them off the pitch even with him in their team.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Big Niall wrote:Never has a player been so much better than every other player in the world than Maradonna. Take him out and the Argentina team wasn't much good. I think he is the best ever.

Zarababe - I read somewhere that many Argeninians say that di Stefano was better, do they? unfortunately due to poor quality of TV back then he is lost to current day fans.

Put this way Big N - if, forgive the 'pun' there was a god on earth Diego is that for people in Argentina. A footballing genius that sits alongside Pele on the throne of kings of football - Pele was the benchmark, coupled with the well known rivalry with Brasil.

Certainly my own view is that every generation produces a unique footalling talent which surpasses the 'rest' - Diego and Pele are perhaps the players that most associate with raising the game, on individual skill alone, to heights that are rarely achieved.

As for getting away with murder, i think one should learn to accept that just a refs fall for awarding the penalty that wasn't; award the goal that never crossed the line in the same way; at first glance 'that goal' was a goal. It saddens me that many have allowed this incident to cloudn their judgment, purely in a footballing sense, of the genius of the man.

Modern day protection of players form cynical tackles and 'butcher-type tackles is down to the way Diego was treated - this was the greatest of cheating then cheekily elevating himself and taking a chance on a 'hanging' ball - I mean can you really bklame him ?   :D

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:55 pm

I have always said - judge the player on the pitch, not by whatever he does in his spare time , his off-field antics even amused me at times -shooting reporters and stuff :D

But  bad tackling is not worse than deliberately scoring a goal with the hand , in a game of such magnitude. Maradona wasnt the only one who got chopped and them argies would never dive -we know that  :;):

He earned the respect to be called the greatest player of that we cant deny, but also earned the right to be called 'cheat' too
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:55 pm

What was the score in the match? Diego was a fantastic footballer, there is no denying that, but I feel his career consists mainly of that goal against England in 86, when in actual fact he was one of the finest players plying his trade in Europe, something Pele failed to do.

It would seem that Argentina’s RU team are giving the NFT a run for their money, Argentina can celebrate the fact they have two fine sporting teams.

I also feel that Peter Shilton was to blame for that goal, because a six foot plus man getting out jumped by a man of 5,5 ft is quite frankly disgusting.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Mikz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:04 pm

And Peter Shilton KNEW he was gonna handball it, sure it happens all th time. Maradona was to blame. Commit the crime...do the time.

Tiger woods was best in the world i didnt see him rolling a ball in the hole with his hand...Stephen Hendry did you ever see him grab a red and slam it down the pocket, hand of god ref honest...   :laugh:  The greatest dont do that!!
Last edited by Mikz on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:29 pm

Peter Shilton forgot the basic rule of being a goal keeper, when a goal keeper is in goal he/she needs to make themselves large to put off the strikers. When Shilton rushed out, he did not make himself large and allowed Maradona to take advantage of the situation.

The goal keeper and the defence were to blame for the goals, lapses of concentration and a rush of blood allowed Argentina back into a match that they were not in control of before the Hand of God incident.

If you take away Diego’s HOG incident and look at his career as a whole, he is definitely one of the finest players to have graced the game and his honours record confirms this.

FWIW, he is not the greatest player of all time, but he was a great footballer none the less.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Mikz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:38 pm

No no brother...Shilton and the defence were not at fault for the hand of God goal...if he hadve headed it maybe...chested it...probably ...bellyflopped it definately.. but he handled it and when i last looked at the rule book THATS ILLEGAL :D

Nobody could ever deny him on his abilty as a player - even his worst enemy...but his biggest fans should also be honest and say hes a cheat.

Special mention to John Barnes when he came on in that game..he ran them ragged  :nod
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:53 am

Shilton was not to blame - beacaue he did not 'know' that Diego would punch it, well I think you'll find that Diego did not make the leap pre-meditated to punch the ball either. During the elevation to reach the ball his hand eclipsed his head, he scored, the ref gave it and well...

Interestingly 2 years later in 1988 Gary Lineker scored a similar goal in the Euro Championship - against Holland. Goody-two- shoes Linekar was off celebrating and also glancing back until the ref pulled him back and awarded the free kick to the Dutch.

It's opportunism, Diego leaped for a ball he the right to go for and in that split second his hand beat his head.
Last edited by zarababe on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:48 am

I’ve watched several clips of the incident and Shilton IMO is definitely at fault, pause this You Tube clip at 36 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0zjx4MAHzk, a 5ft 5 Diego out jumps a 6ft goal keeper. Shilton doesn’t make his presence known against Diego either.

The fact remains Shilton committed himself forward and was caught out, he has no one to blame but himself. Equally England should have buried the match, so on the day like most other the English NT these players weren’t good enough to win the World cup.
Wilhelmsson

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion