What still bugs you to this day?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby YAWL » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:36 pm

The FA Cup vs United, when Cantona scored that goal.

The whole Souness era... especially selling Staunton and Beardsley in their prime.

Recently losing the World Club Championships, really wanted to win that comp.  We totally dominated the final and how we lost it I'm not sure.
YAWL

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:37 pm

stmichael wrote:Was watching the Premiership years 1995/96 the other night and a couple of things still stood out like a sore thumb to me till this day. Not only does David James' self destruction that season still pi$$ me off (he took us from potential champions to fourth place finishers), but the way Cantona got to make his comeback from suspension against us, just because Sky got the game moved to the Sunday rather than the Saturday still gets my goat. And the subsequent hype that Sky gave him, for scoring a penalty that was never a penalty in a million years.

What from Liverpool's past still really pi$$es you off to this day, even though you should have forgotten about it ages ago? (don't say wimbledon 88 or arsenal 89).  :D

I'm with you on that. I remember buying the Mirror the next day and it absolutely bummed Cantona after his comeback. No mention of the mancs scraping a draw at home, no mention that it weren't a pen and I don't think we had any fans at that game either.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:50 pm

Haven't seen the goals from Athens on TV or anything since that night last May.  Even Kuyt's goal.  Don't really recall the game now.  I know Pennant and Mascherano had blinders and it all just went wrong though. 

The less I think of it the better.  I thought we were robbed.  The game was there to be won and luck wasn't on our side that night.

We'll go close if not win it again this year anyway. :)
jonnymac1979

Postby burjennio » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:53 pm

Er, Flippo Inzaghi anyone?
burjennio

Postby redtrader74 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:03 pm

stmichael wrote:Was watching the Premiership years 1995/96 the other night and a couple of things still stood out like a sore thumb to me till this day. Not only does David James' self destruction that season still pi$$ me off (he took us from potential champions to fourth place finishers), but the way Cantona got to make his comeback from suspension against us, just because Sky got the game moved to the Sunday rather than the Saturday still gets my goat. And the subsequent hype that Sky gave him, for scoring a penalty that was never a penalty in a million years.

What from Liverpool's past still really pi$$es you off to this day, even though you should have forgotten about it ages ago? (don't say wimbledon 88 or arsenal 89).  :D

I'm with you there St. we had everything that year, could have done the double, but for James,( bag of :censored:) and a really weak manager.

I know that Heysel was a tragedy, and the game shouldn't have continued, but thats probably my earliest recollection of LFC, (where i first considered them my team, yeah fck off i was a glory hunting little kid!) the penalty that never was, and stopped no.06, still pi55es me off.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:37 pm

Kewell having someone step on his foot and continued complaining to the ref instead of tracking back and picking up his man (Kaka) who then had the freedom to set up their second.

That still p1sses me off!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:42 pm

stmichael wrote:
Wilhelmsson wrote:The 96 FA Cup final still angers me, as a spectacle it lacked all the ingredients a cup final should behold and the cream suits just made me feel sick. I have the match recorded on video and it still looks as bad as it did all those years ago.

What I don't understand about that FA cup final is why none of the other players in front of the goal just stopped the ball with their hands and just take a sending off to keep us in the game. It's still frustrating.

Yeah I agree. Instead of doing anything they both ponced around  on the line looking like retards.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:31 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:The 96 FA Cup final still angers me, as a spectacle it lacked all the ingredients a cup final should behold and the cream suits just made me feel sick. I have the match recorded on video and it still looks as bad as it did all those years ago.

this game is the first time i cryed over football i was heart broken

the way about half our team dove out of the way of cantana's shot was discraceful even as a kid at the time i understood that i would have throw everything at that ball, ball sack n all

and the worst was my best friends who were mancs lived next door and ran outside cheering, what counts, i cheer because i love my team and it makes me happy when they score, not so other people can hear me
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Ade » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:37 pm

I might get slated for this, but one of the most disgraceful things I've ever seen a Liverpool player do was when John Aldridge rubbed Brian Laws's head when he'd scored that own goal against us in the 1989 FA Cup final 'replay' against Forest at Old Trafford, after Hillsborough.

Aldo's behaviour could possibly be excused by getting caught up in the emotion of the time, but even when he did it I was celebrating the goal, and half a second later virtually hiding my head in my hands.

When Arsenal robbed us of the title at Anfield a few weeks later, Tony Adams went out of his way to go over to Aldridge and rub his head and say, 'This is for Brian Laws.'

I still can't respect Aldridge that much cos of what he did that day.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:44 pm

not a massive thing, and still pretty recent, btu whena  few years back we played middlesboro opening day of the season at there place and in the 83rd minute they were running into the corner flag to time waste. it was the 1st fecking game!!! cant stand them now, and think they may go down this term
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:44 pm

RedBlood wrote:

this game is the first time i cryed over football i was heart broken

the way about half our team dove out of the way of cantana's shot was discraceful even as a kid at the time i understood that i would have throw everything at that ball, ball sack n all

and the worst was my best friends who were mancs lived next door and ran outside cheering, what counts, i cheer because i love my team and it makes me happy when they score, not so other people can hear me

I was a young chap in 96, therefore I didn’t really appreciate football in it’s glory, though watching it several years later, highlighted every single problem with Liverpool under Roy Evans.

Catona’s goal in extra time highlighted the old cliché of ‘close but not close enough’ which blighted Evan’s short reign with the club. 

There is a short 1:00 min clip of the final on you tube and I still can’t believe David James ever played for the club.

I was delighted when Houllier shipped him out and binned the cream suits and bought about change in the most ruthless manner.

As for your friend, he had every right to scream the house down, there’s nothing better than losing self control.  I did a similar thing during #5.
:buttrock
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:15 pm

the way houlier treated Fowler. :angry:
i hate GH!!!!!!!
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:45 pm

The one thing that still bugs me is that we signed David feckin Speedie, i mean just saying it makes me want to puke , DAVID FECKIN SPEEDIE un feckin believable. :angry:
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:49 pm

people have serioulsy got there facts wrong about the 95/96 season on the subject of David James. He was superd that season and had over 20 clean sheets in all comps. It was not until the following season (96-97) that he started making the howlers, and he never recovered after that. He had great potential David James and superd shot stopping ability but he just lost it in the head in the 96/97 season.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:53 pm

the ones that still bug me are

1. Evans side not winning the tropheys they should have.
2. Champs league quarter final vs Leverkusen, are defence was first class at the time and went it all went to hell for that one game.
3. Never replacing Steve Mcmanaman
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion