What still bugs you to this day?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:31 pm

Was watching the Premiership years 1995/96 the other night and a couple of things still stood out like a sore thumb to me till this day. Not only does David James' self destruction that season still pi$$ me off (he took us from potential champions to fourth place finishers), but the way Cantona got to make his comeback from suspension against us, just because Sky got the game moved to the Sunday rather than the Saturday still gets my goat. And the subsequent hype that Sky gave him, for scoring a penalty that was never a penalty in a million years.

What from Liverpool's past still really pi$$es you off to this day, even though you should have forgotten about it ages ago? (don't say wimbledon 88 or arsenal 89).  :D
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby CardinalRed » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:44 pm

I have to admit that Wimbledon '88 and Arsenal '89 don't really bug me..... we got mugged by the Dons and it was our own fault, and we went to sleep against the Gunners when we thought we had it in the bag..... What rankles is how good that '95-'96 team should have been and how they underachieved, Jamie Redknapp was saying on Sky the other day that we should have won it that year and we let the Man U 'kids' do a number on us.....

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Oakesy8 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:00 pm

The whole Souness/Evans era still hurts today when the media keep banging on about 17 years without a title. Despite their flaws, between them we did assemble a faily desent and attractive team, thanks in most part to an awesome group of of own 'kids' equaly as good as Utd's at the time. We should have won in 97 no question, although its easy to point the finger at the collapse of David James, the blame has to fall on Evans for his lack of experience, professionalism and control he failed to install in the spice boys.

People underestimte the impact Houiler had on this club. Dragging it kicking and screaming into the modern world where sport perfromance is science. Something Fergie was starting at Utd in the late 80's.
If only eh?
Oakesy8

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:02 pm

CardinalRed wrote:What rankles is how good that '95-'96 team should have been and how they underachieved, Jamie Redknapp was saying on Sky the other day that we should have won it that year and we let the Man U 'kids' do a number on us.....

As I said, that season, David James single handedly took us from potential champions to 4th place finishers. I don't think I ever forgave him for such an abject display of goal keeping in that utd defeat at Anfield.

That was bad but the mistakes he made against Coventry were possibly worse. We would have gone top if we had won it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Wilhelmsson » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:09 pm

The 96 FA Cup final still angers me, as a spectacle it lacked all the ingredients a cup final should behold and the cream suits just made me feel sick. I have the match recorded on video and it still looks as bad as it did all those years ago.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Oakesy8 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:16 pm

Jason 'The LFC Fan' McAteer ducking on the line, almost bowing to Cantona.
Disgust!
Oakesy8

Postby Sean » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:26 pm

We had a great team in 96/97.  I remember John Barnes scoring in a 1-0 win against Southampton to put us top of the league in January.  Unfortunately, we did not have the ruthlessness to go on and win the league then and I still fear we still do not possess it.  We could always match united for flair and talent but driven by fergie they have been ruthless in their quests for titles.

Another thing that still bugs me and something that has cost us dearly was our inability to compete in the transfer market when the board refused Souness the cash to compete with utd and Blackburn for Roy Keanes signature in 1993 and four years later when Teddy Sheringham was up for grabs during Evans' reign.

More recently, Houlliers signings during summer 2002 set us back years and ultimately cost him his job.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:The 96 FA Cup final still angers me, as a spectacle it lacked all the ingredients a cup final should behold and the cream suits just made me feel sick. I have the match recorded on video and it still looks as bad as it did all those years ago.

What I don't understand about that FA cup final is why none of the other players in front of the goal just stopped the ball with their hands and just take a sending off to keep us in the game. It's still frustrating.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:42 pm

Because they were a team of ponces who wore white suits and didn't want to get their hands dirty.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:24 pm

Houllier selling Fowler.

I literally stopped going to the games when it happened.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Oakesy8 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:34 pm

European Ban and subsequent selling and not replacing our best players. We've not recovered league form since.
Oakesy8

Postby puroresu » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:37 pm

Not winning the title under Evans.  We were the best footballing side in the league and should of own the title.  95/96 James had some howlers but our defence was not helping matters.  The team pressed the self destuct button and we blew it.

Another thing that bugs me is the double managment decision.  How the board could ever sanction such a thing is beyond me.  This was pure and utter madness and was just polite way in pushing Evans out the door.  Was so sad to see the club treat a servant like Evans like that.

Thirdly losing to Leverkuson in the CL QF.  We should never have lost that tie.  Houllier was far to negative at home and then away we somehow managed to lose a tie we were in complete control of.

The European Ban.  Those sides in the mid to late 80's could of won European Cups and would no doubt reached the final.  Barnes should of been showcasing his amazing talent on the European stage!!
puroresu

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:59 pm

puroresu wrote:The European Ban.  Those sides in the mid to late 80's could of won European Cups and would no doubt reached the final.  Barnes should of been showcasing his amazing talent on the European stage!!

Liverpool vs AC Milan in the late 80's would have been the greatest club game of all time.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby hello_red » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:31 pm

Cantonas goal against us in the fa cup final! still haunts me to this day!!!!!
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby grayghost » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:33 pm

The way Fowler was treated by houllier and shiped out still hurts when i remember that.
grayghost

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion