Graeme souness - Time to lay the ghost to rest

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:38 am

Mikz wrote:I liked Souness too, great player, brilliant passer , brutal tackler and a shot like a bullet. A legend as a player I dont think anyone would dispute that.
But for me -nobody holds a candle to Steven Gerrard.  I cant think of any player past or present who could grab a team by the scruff of the neck like him.
In my opinion, and thats an opinion that I respect lol-hes the greatest thing to don the shirt.  :bowdown

Good shout Mikz.

This is going to be a debate that will last decades I think. 

The fact that we had a world class midfield leader, who lifted the European Cup as captain... Souness was 23 years ago.

So think to the year 2030.

Steven Gerrard will be a 50 year old 'once' world class midfield leader, who lifted the European Cup as captain etc...

So we're talking the same ball-park and the comparison is valid.  Doubt Gerrard can grow a proper muzzy though... 

Like I say, this will last years this debate.  There are a lot of people who's opinion is that Souness was the greatest midfielder who's ever worn the Red shirt.  As far as securing legendary status goes, Souness has (at the minute) lifted the same amount of European Cups as Steven Gerrard.

I'm not the best at being all tactical, I'm sure Bigmick can elaborate for us maybe.  From videos I've seen, Souness maybe got into more goalscoring positions and converted more chances than Gerrard.  He was SOME player. 

Souness played in a side(s) that were clearly the best team in Europe, they were peerless.  A team who had been continuously developed and honed over a few years, rather than a side where Steven Gerrard had to produce superhuman reserves of energy and ability to drag (or motivate) a team of nearly men and second choice (and second rate) players who knew their days were numbered and beating Milan in 2005 was their first, last or ONLY shot at glory in their career. 

No disrespect to the other players but for some reason, as influential as the Kaiser was at nullifying Kaka in the second half, and as good as we feel about Smicer totally redeeming himself with the goal that spelt in capital letters HOPE, it was the Gerrard European Cup final, just as you will always associate 1978 with Kenny Dalglish.

As far as Liverpool go in my opinion, I've seen Zenden take a lot of shit on the message boards.

Admittedly a long shot and nothing to lose sleep over.  But who would bet against (if he was fit) Zenden scoring the winner or the all-importnat first goal in Athens.  Something to thn about...  In a nutshell, I can honestly see such a twist of fate occurring.  We'll all end up loving Zenden, just as we all now love Vladimir.

My opinion?

Gerrard can eclipse Souness.  Probably will aswell.  I think in the year 2030, we're going to be comparing Gerrard to Kenny Dalglish.
jonnymac1979

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:26 am

i still think souness has the edge on gerrard although i do thing gerrard will surpass souness when he gets a regular spot in his best position.

souness had it all, players feared playing against him, and i think this is where souness has the edge, when he played he could play hard, gerrard is restricted in that with the softer rules now. souness was a real hard player as well as an excellent footballer, he was complete, a real leader.

i remember in the europea game at anfoeld, i was on the kop waiting for the corner and souness just chinned one of their players and broke his jaw (the ref missed it). in the return leg there was people at the airport threatening to kill him, when we were warming up the crowd booed ever time he touched the ball so the liverpool players kept giving it to him even more, then he did the famous dummy just as the crowd was about to boo.

real character, missed the first few games of one season through injury, he was messing around with one of the gangsters birds in liverpool, they got him in a toilet and damaged his legs, it was only the fact that they were reds that stopped them from breaking his legs   :D
112-1077774096

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion