Graeme souness - Time to lay the ghost to rest

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Mon May 21, 2007 7:21 pm

I've been one of Graeme Souness's greatest admirers as 'The' midfield general ever since he first donned a red shirt. His domination of the middle of the field through vision, agression, intimidation, beautiful layer off of the the ball threading it 25 yards through packed defenses for Terry Mac, Jimmy Case, Rushie Kenny or little Sammy Lee to run on to, or rifling it into the back of the net from 30 yards out with a defiant call to the faithful. Many a midfield hard man came to Anfield to feel the love of Souness cross their shins only to hobble back onto the team coach 'thanks for coming, see you next time'.

I've mourned his passing, Steve McMahon tried to play the role but didnt make the mark, how he let us down against Wimbledon...  Fat Molby was a beautiful passer but by the time he got upto full speed the player was well past him.... others came and went, never to replace the firey Scot.

I asked myself a question the other night, 'who was the most likely to score on wednesday night?'. 'Who won the game for us in 2005 with his passion and skill?' 'Who thunders them in from 30 yards today' and 'Who has the unique skill to turn lay off balls, create chances and turn a game'.

One name answered all the questions,   Stevie Gerrard. The realisation occurred that at long last, we have a true replacement for the greatest midfield player Liverpool had in recent times, Souness.

Liverpool won accolades, championships, FA cups and european glory because the front men could stretch forward knowing there was a solid midfield and a wonderful service of through balls - and of course because we had the H and L show waiting behind that midfield. To me though, Souness's domination of midfield made the team tick just as Stevie G does at present.

We have the defense, we have the midfield, we just need to buy 2 or 3 world class strikers to complete the task. Get Stevie and Carra's names on new contracts then go splash the wedge on the attackers.

In the meantime and the reason for the post, I can lay Graeme Souness's ghost to rest, his first true replacement is firing on all cylinders. The future is Red, the future looks good.

Come on Red boys !!   :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon May 21, 2007 7:26 pm

He was one hell of a player, but a kunt for selling his story to the S*n a lot still havent forgiven him for that.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon May 21, 2007 8:47 pm

Unquestionable an absolutely fantastic midfield player in his prime, he had the lot. It is a testimony to Gerrards excellence that he can be mentioned in the same breath. For me Souness was marginally the better footballer, Gerrard comfortably the better athlete. Souness's attitude was something Stevie could learn from in it's never say die nature, while Gerrards aerial ability and sheer lung bursting pace would be things souness could only dream about. Gerrard would be more versatile, Souness harder.

On balance I'd like them both in your midfield, we'd p!ss the Premiership then, Souness was that good.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon May 21, 2007 9:13 pm

I liked Souness too, great player, brilliant passer , brutal tackler and a shot like a bullet. A legend as a player I dont think anyone would dispute that.
But for me -nobody holds a candle to Steven Gerrard.  I cant think of any player past or present who could grab a team by the scruff of the neck like him.
In my opinion, and thats an opinion that I respect lol-hes the greatest thing to don the shirt.  :bowdown
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon May 21, 2007 9:37 pm

Mikz wrote:I cant think of any player past or present who could grab a team by the scruff of the neck like him.

Only two fellas expected and got 101% of their teammates, Souness and Kenny. Those two shot off rockets faster than the Titanic.

In 3 years time, Gerrard will stand alone, until then he must stand alongsie The Greats.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon May 21, 2007 10:09 pm

Reg wrote:I've mourned his passing

Bloody hell, I thought he died or something, looking all over the web to see when this happened !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon May 21, 2007 10:12 pm

Reg wrote:I can lay Graeme Souness's ghost to rest

That bit didnt help either...
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon May 21, 2007 10:14 pm

Metaphorically speaking of course..... :D

You better sit down and poor yourself a large scotch to get over it !!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DazH- » Mon May 21, 2007 10:15 pm

Yeah same here I was thinking 'WTF?'
DazH-

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Mon May 21, 2007 10:22 pm

souness has faults and has made mistakes but he`ll always be a liverpool legend, a fantastic player for us and hard as nails.

i can still remember the goal against the blueshite in the milk cup final reply at maine road, turned on a sixpence then what a shot :D

take a look follow the white rabbit
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Penguins » Mon May 21, 2007 10:40 pm

When it comes to Souness I can never talk about just Souness the person.

Always there is Souness the player who was a great midfielder in his day and then we have Souness the ex player, a pundit, manager who has been one of the worst in the last 15 years and who goes to the S*n of all tabloids.

The player will be fondly remembered, but the other will be fondly hated.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon May 21, 2007 11:11 pm

Focus on the player, the lad was superb, absolute top drawer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk1QiHaqNfQ
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue May 22, 2007 12:31 am

OK, ive supped me whiskey, got over the inital shock...

Yes and No, There are elements of Souness in Gerrard but lets not forget that back then the game was based on the same premise that the spanish league is based on now, technical skill. The premiership has sped up a hell of a lot and that means a faster game but back then Liverpool won everything because they had a team capable of handling not only europe but england. Gerrard is good but isnt close to Souness, different times and different abilities.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue May 22, 2007 12:59 am

Ahh, a true Souness appreciater !!   :cool:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 22, 2007 1:10 am

I dont think Gerrard is quite there yet, Souness had everything except pace (although he wasn't slow)I realise Souness also had better players around him, making things easier for him, but I still think he has the edge, just.
account deleted by request

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion