Season review

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Sun May 16, 2004 9:22 am

Well here we are at the end of another season and it's another case of not good enough like last season.

Had a patchy start to the season losing to Chelsea at Anfield on the opening day of the season and then two disappointing 0-0 draws against Villa and Spurs.
then was the Everton game, beating them 3-0 and then many thought this may be the where our season kicks off, but sadly it wasn't to be. A win against Blackburn in the next game, but a costly one with Carrager and Baros suffereing severe injuries, meaning they would both be out for several months. 

Inconsistent performances followed, not helped with injuries to key players like Baros and Carra as well as Michael Owen.

By Christmas, the title was practically beyond us with losses to Arsenal, Charlton, Portsmoth, Southampton and Man Utd as well as a very disappionting exit to Bolton in the 4th round of the Carling cup leaving us in 5th and only the UEFA cup and FA cup able to be won. Many fans were calling for Houllier to be sacked as fans could see the possibility of Liverpool missing out on the CL again.

A boxing day victory against Bolton started a run of 4 matches unbeaten in the league, calmed down the talks of a crisis at Anfield.
Then incosistency struck again, losing to Spurs at White Hart Lane 2-1 and then a disappointing draw in Wolverhampton, destroying all the hard work done beforehand and Cl qualification was looking less likely.

Confidence was raised with a good win in the 4th round of the Fa cup agianst Newcastle at Anfield. 2 draws followed this (Bolton and Everton) and then a win at Anfield over Man City leaving us in 4th spot.

Then came one of the lowest points of the season, the FA cup 5th round against Pompey. With the tie at Anfield a win was on the cards, but a frustrating 1-1 draw in a match that Liverpool deserved to win, so it was off to Portsmoth for the replay at Fratton Park the following Sunday.
This match had to be on the most disappointing performances of the season losing 1-0 and being dumped out of the FA Cup by lowly Portsmouth, leaving the Reds with the only chance of silverware being the UEFA cup, and Pompey being undefeated against the Reds so far this season   

After the Pompey match, calls for the sacking of Houllier were getting stronger and stronger, with most fans calling for his sacking or resignation. 

Qualification for the UEFa cup 4th round was sealed gainst Levski Sofia, with a tricky test against Marseille.
A 1-1 draw at Anfield was followed by a loss to the Saints and then fianlly beating Pompey and then beating Woves with a last minute headed goal from Sami Hyppia sending Anfield into ecstasy. Maybe our luck was changing?

5 days after the wolves game, Liverpool travelled to the Soth of France to play the second leg against Marseille. We lost 2-1 and that meant theere would be no silverware coming to Anfield this season, the fans were fed up and Houllier was receiving immense criticism.

A draw away to Leicester nad then a commanding 4-0 demolition of Blackburn took us into th Arseanl game confident of a result. At HT LFC were leading 2-1 thanks to goals from Owen and Hyppia. Arsenal came out in the 2nd half and showed their quality first thru Pires and then a maginificent solo effort By Henry, who would complete his hat-trick 27 mins later rounding out a 4-2 Arsenal victory in a match that promised so much for Liverpool.

A Disappointing loss to Charlton at anfield followed and then a 0-0 draw with Fulham, meant that 4th spot was slipping away.

Then a scrappy win against Man Utd 1-0 thanks to Murphy pen, sparked a revival with wins over Boro and Birmingham following, putting us back into 4th spot.

Newccastle drew with Wolves at St James and went into the Southhampton gmae needing a win to tkae 4th spot to the last day at Anfield. A cracking game resulted in a 3-3 draw and Liverpool had 4th spot.

A 1-1 draw against Newcastle yesterday closed the season out with a fine goal from Mo from a Brillian Stevie G pass.

Positives to come out of the season have to be the from of Stevie G and at least we got into the Cl 9provided we qualify)

Hopefully next season will be a lot better, with new signings I am optimistic that next season will be a good one, lets hope. 

:)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun May 16, 2004 10:15 am

Disappointing season anyway you look at it. Just imagine If Arsenal, Manure or Chelsea had a season like us. Would they consider it to be even a "OK" season ? Would their manager stay ?

I hope next seson is much better though. It would be great if we had a new manager though....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun May 16, 2004 10:18 am

How many penalties did we miss this season ? and what difference did they make ??

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Sun May 16, 2004 11:22 am

sorry i didn't put that in there woof woof, it took enough time to write it as it is  :p
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun May 16, 2004 11:44 am

Yeah, it's a season I wont look back on fondly, but it's ironic.  The saying "You have to take the bad with the good" really is true.  We will look back on this season when we do have success, because the success will be all the more sweeter that we have bounced back from this below-par era in our history.
jonnymac1979

Postby LFC #1 » Sun May 16, 2004 11:51 am

let's hope so johnny mac, lets hope success comes sooner rather than later. I cant see next season being anyy worse than this season, I belive with the right signings in the summer, and no injuries to our top players we will be successful next season.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby houllieroutplz » Sun May 16, 2004 12:51 pm

all in all a very poor season  very poor passing shocking home form away form not to bad but not to good  1 player has dragged us kicking and screaming thru this season without him well leeds springs to mind and if we are not careful thats were we are heading, were signing a striker fo 14 million pounds whos unproven cant head a ball or kick a ball with his left foot ,not worth 14 million but then again gh is signing him after all if gh was boss of chelsea man u or arsenal do u think is ****** wud b enough to keep his job noway so with gh in charge lets see next season   champions arsenal 2nd chelsea 3rd man utd  4th aston villa 5th newcastle and 6th tottenham 7th liverpool [B]  we are becoming a team known as deportivo in spain better than the rest but not as good a s the best and no way near
houllieroutplz

Postby LFC #1 » Sun May 16, 2004 1:03 pm

houllier outplz i understand your concern, but do you think next season will be worse than this, it's very uniley IMO.

We may finish 4th again but the gap will not be as wide as it is currently. Cisse is a good player maybe not worth 14 million, but leading goalscorer in France for 3 seasons, b4 u say France isn't that good a league, I agree it's not as good as the premiership but Monaco and Marseillie are in finals.

I am a little worried like im sure many of us are if Houllier will spend wisely. I suppose we will have to wait and see, Houllier has made good signings b4 so can again, I am not a huge fan of his but respect him enough to support him for as long as he is here, although i may not agree with some of the things he does.
The prssure will be on him next season, a slow start and he will be on his way I think, hopefully we are successful next season, and If we make the right siginings in the summer i believe we will be.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Mon May 17, 2004 8:40 am

Cisse is a good player.  I can understand your hesitation in signing him for 14 million quid but he has been the leading scorer in France for three consecutive seasons.  He is rated as the best striker in France after Henry and Trezguet (who are both absolutely world class) he is still young (he's banned from Euro 2004 for lashing out at a portugese player in an U21 European play off) so he will get better.  You can say the French league is ****** but there are a french team in the finals of both european club competitions and the UEFA Cup one dumped Liverpool and Newcastle (4th and 5th in the EPL) out of the UEFA Cup and Monaco beat Real Madrid and Chelsea (as well as Deportiva 8-3) and yet neither side have strikers as good as Cisse.  He beat Morientes, Prso, Drogba and many other talented players for goals.  Maybe not worth £14million but damn well close enough.

Bring on next season.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby LFC #1 » Mon May 17, 2004 11:47 am

spot on Starbridge, pretty much re-iteratring my opinion above. Cisse is not 14 million upfront either, it's 6 million up front, then two 4 million payments depending on appearances I think.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon May 17, 2004 12:13 pm

will anyone here be buying the season review video? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion