Season Review

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon May 14, 2012 5:25 pm

League - poor
Cups - excellent

Overall - disappointing
Benny The Noon

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 14, 2012 8:17 pm

This season has seen us go from trotting out victories in the cup with arrogance to seriously abysmal displays of turgid heartless football in the league .
The positives have been the solidity of Agger when paired with Skrtel ,and the burgeoning if slightly belated talent of Andy Carroll coming eventually
to fruition,couple that with the sometimes sheer brilliance of Suarez and we have a base camp for looking at potentially taking all this shit and
hurt that has befallen us this season and making the feeling of such despair actually work for us .

Next season with a few quality additions will be so much different .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 14, 2012 8:32 pm

While the cup runs were fun, they did little to paper over the cracks that lie deep within our club at the moment. But, the biggest failings isn’t the tactics, or the lack of mid-match dynamism that’s an essential aspect of modern football, it’s the team selection.

Kenny’s loyalty to his new signings has blinded him to their failings and, in part, prevented any progress for the club or his new players.

Take Stuart Downing, for example. He’s been abysmal this season, yet he’s played 46 matches...46!  Where’s the incentive to raise his game? Where's the compeition for places in the team?  What’s the point? if he’s simply going to be picked every match, without fail...

The same goesfor Henderson (48 matches) and Adam, who played 35 games this season before getting injured.

We’re back in the Souness era where players simply turn up and play, regardless of their performance. Why? Because they are new and cost lots of money.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby friendlyguy33 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:41 pm

7_Kewell » Mon May 14, 2012 7:32 pm wrote:While the cup runs were fun, they did little to paper over the cracks that lie deep within our club at the moment. But, the biggest failings isn’t the tactics, or the lack of mid-match dynamism that’s an essential aspect of modern football, it’s the team selection.

Kenny’s loyalty to his new signings has blinded him to their failings and, in part, prevented any progress for the club or his new players.

Take Stuart Downing, for example. He’s been abysmal this season, yet he’s played 46 matches...46!  Where’s the incentive to raise his game? Where's the compeition for places in the team?  What’s the point? if he’s simply going to be picked every match, without fail...

The same goesfor Henderson (48 matches) and Adam, who played 35 games this season before getting injured.

We’re back in the Souness era where players simply turn up and play, regardless of their performance. Why? Because they are new and cost lots of money.

I think part of the problem is that the likes of Kuyt and Maxi who actually are part of the deadwood in terms of the future are revered too much because of the odd goal here and there or because they run around a lot for ninety minutes and show 'passion'. We need to face up to the fact that the squad isn't good enough. Last season's end of run finish blinded us to that the new boys were not top level signings for a first season, particularly Carroll and Henderson given their age.

Kenny says he's not looking to move many out is that because he can't because the likes of Maxi and Kuyt have largely carried us when we've needed them to. The owners need to look at this £20 million won't be enough this summer to turn it around whoever is in charge, unless last summer's signings can step up to the plate pretty sharpish.
friendlyguy33

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 14, 2012 11:25 pm

friendlyguy33 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:41 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Mon May 14, 2012 7:32 pm wrote:While the cup runs were fun, they did little to paper over the cracks that lie deep within our club at the moment. But, the biggest failings isn’t the tactics, or the lack of mid-match dynamism that’s an essential aspect of modern football, it’s the team selection.

I think part of the problem is that the likes of Kuyt and Maxi who actually are part of the deadwood in terms of the future are revered too much because of the odd goal here and there or because they run around a lot for ninety minutes and show 'passion'. We need to face up to the fact that the squad isn't good enough. Last season's end of run finish blinded us to that the new boys were not top level signings for a first season, particularly Carroll and Henderson given their age.

Kenny says he's not looking to move many out is that because he can't because the likes of Maxi and Kuyt have largely carried us when we've needed them to. The owners need to look at this £20 million won't be enough this summer to turn it around whoever is in charge, unless last summer's signings can step up to the plate pretty sharpish.

You're absolutely right, the squad isn't good enough. But surely the best way to force improvement would be to drop underperforming players into the reserves, thus forcing them to up their game?

It’s hardly surprising someone like Downing and Henderson drift through games...what do they care, they’re getting picked every week and probably think they’re doing OK.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Mon May 14, 2012 11:32 pm

I couldn't give a rat's ***** about the positive & negatives of this season, just happy it's all over. At the end I just felt like I was watching a badly assembled mid table team.

Wonder how many of you will order the season review dvd, maybe some of you should if you think we did ok.

Who is looking forward to next season?
killerp

Postby Boxscarf » Mon May 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Delighted this season is over, it's worst season I have ever witnessed.
Boxscarf

Postby Kharhaz » Mon May 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Season Review: Thank god its over.

Says it all. Fortunately for us though we have owners who have paid attention and are in touch with the fans. No doubt they have plans already in play to improve the mess that is on the pitch.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:11 am

Cup runs were excellent but the abysmal and downright disgraceful league peformance has taken the gloss of the cup acheivments. At the end of last season we had a lot to be positive about and the future looked bright, Kenny had turned the team around, we where playing good football with the remnants of Rafa's team and Kenny did an excellent job with an average bunch. The new owners where putting there money where there mouth is and i was extremely optimistic at the end of last May. Then the new signings came in, Downing and Henderson had me worried as soon as we where linked with them as they where extremely average peformers for there previous clubs, then i saw the ridiculous prices and my jaw dropped, then the sales of Mereirles and Aquilani weakened our central midfield but i was still hoping we would make a decent account of ourselves. But as the months went by we got worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse until the point we are so bad im actually delighted when we get anything out of a game. The home form has been shameful, team selections inconsistent and baffling, average players given chance after chance, then when players like Maxi, Shelvey, Bellamy play well there dropped immediately. Last season we re-established pass and move, with slick interchanging passing between Suarez, Maxi and Mereirles only for that to be thrown out in favour of Downing and Henderson whipping aimless balls into the box. Right now i honestly have no idea what the future holds, this team is distinctly average and deserves to come 8th, the names on the team sheet read like that of a mid table team, especially in midfield where it has been dire. I pray Kenny gets it right in the transfer market this time because if he dosnt you can expect us to be battlig with the likes of Everton,Stoke and Fulham for years. The longer where out of the champions league the weaker we will get  :(
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby D___C » Tue May 15, 2012 4:22 am

killerp » Mon May 14, 2012 10:32 pm wrote:a badly assembled mid table team.

Best description i've read yet. Succinct, accurate, and sums us up.
D___C

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue May 15, 2012 10:13 am

Fowler_E7 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:11 am wrote:Cup runs were excellent but the abysmal and downright disgraceful league peformance has taken the gloss of the cup acheivments. At the end of last season we had a lot to be positive about and the future looked bright, Kenny had turned the team around, we where playing good football with the remnants of Rafa's team and Kenny did an excellent job with an average bunch. The new owners where putting there money where there mouth is and i was extremely optimistic at the end of last May. Then the new signings came in, Downing and Henderson had me worried as soon as we where linked with them as they where extremely average peformers for there previous clubs, then i saw the ridiculous prices and my jaw dropped, then the sales of Mereirles and Aquilani weakened our central midfield but i was still hoping we would make a decent account of ourselves. But as the months went by we got worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse until the point we are so bad im actually delighted when we get anything out of a game. The home form has been shameful, team selections inconsistent and baffling, average players given chance after chance, then when players like Maxi, Shelvey, Bellamy play well there dropped immediately. Last season we re-established pass and move, with slick interchanging passing between Suarez, Maxi and Mereirles only for that to be thrown out in favour of Downing and Henderson whipping aimless balls into the box. Right now i honestly have no idea what the future holds, this team is distinctly average and deserves to come 8th, the names on the team sheet read like that of a mid table team, especially in midfield where it has been dire. I pray Kenny gets it right in the transfer market this time because if he dosnt you can expect us to be battlig with the likes of Everton,Stoke and Fulham for years. The longer where out of the champions league the weaker we will get  :(

I cant argue with any of that and I fully agree with your frustration and anger at what has been a dreadful and disappointing season
However, I am not one who wears "rose tinted glasses" but I support KK as I feel he is the best man (at the moment) for the job. I honestly believe we will NEVER see a season like this again and I have faith that the owners will make the right decision because they are committed to making us great again.
KK will be allowed another go and be reviewed at christmas. If he hasnt learned from his mistakes and doesnt get it right he will go. I am sure the owners will spell it out to him and let him know that he is on probation. KK will either rise to the challenge or he is history. I would expect the owners to be sounding out potential replacements as we speak so as not to be caught out should KK fail. We must improve and get back amongst the elite.
The alternative is not worth thinking about
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby stmichael » Tue May 15, 2012 12:29 pm

for me the biggest mistake was not buying anyone in january when it was quite clear that the squad needed reinforcements. the lack of a replacement for lucas was almost criminal as the midfield literally fell apart after that. lucas is mentally one of the strongest players we've got in the squad and that is a quality that we've been sadly missing for a lot of the season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion