Owen wants to stay - He wants the same as you and me

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:08 pm

Michael Owen has spoken of his 'dream' of spending the rest of his career with Liverpool. 
Owen has one year of his current contract to run and is in talks with the Reds about extending his stay on Merseyside.

Owen admits that in an ideal world he will stay at Anfield for life, but he is keen to ensure the club share his ambitions to win the top honours in the game.

"I still have one year remaining on my contract. So it is not the good moment to talk about my departure," Owen said.

"It was important we got Champions League qualification. The most important thing for me is to continue to win as many trophies as possible, in a great club, and Liverpool can be this one.

"In a perfect world, it would be the greatest team in the world, and I would stay my entire career. I am dreaming about that.

"Now we have to see if Liverpool will quickly become a great club again. A footballer's career is short and it is important to be at the right place at the right time." 

All the people who claimed he was looking out for himself, and that he didn't care should take heed.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:49 pm

He is looking out for himself.
He won't commit to LFC just because it is LFC, he is going to wait to be sure the team will challenge at the top level, otherwise he's gonna go!
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:57 pm

Agree, he is looking out for himself, he admits that himself. He  has loyalty to Liverpool but not enough to give up major success if their is no evidence of progression. I get annoyed when I hear him sounding like he's holding the club to ransom saying he'll wait for the new manager before signing a new contract but when I think about it it's hard to blame him. When Benitez commits Owen will sign.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:58 pm

Well, it looks like we have to wait for after Euro 2004 at least for him to sign a new contract, if he does. Now if England get far and Owen has a good tournament Liverpool are going to be facing serious competition from very good clubs to get him.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:30 pm

Good points about Owen waiting to see who the new manager is and whether we can compete at a higher level than we have done the last couple of seasons.

I don't blame him to be honest, he's world class and wants to play on a world class level. We all hope he can achieve that at LFC and he has as good as admitted that. If LFC make it as hard as possible for him to leave i.e. by Winning trophiesthen there won't bea problem :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sinema » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:42 pm

If we're completely honest, Michael is not the player he was.  His first touch leaves a lot to be desired, (this has been highlighted in the media lately) and he has lost some pace.  He has been a great player for Liverpool but we would be crazy not to accept a big offer for him as I think his value is decreasing by the minute.  He is a nice lad, a credit to the club and to his family.  But world class - not any more.  Now go and prove me wrong next week Michael.
sinema

Postby Red » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:53 am

Why would looking out for himself be a bad thing? I look out for myself everyday of my life.
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:53 am

sinema wrote:If we're completely honest, Michael is not the player he was.  His first touch leaves a lot to be desired, (this has been highlighted in the media lately) and he has lost some pace.  He has been a great player for Liverpool but we would be crazy not to accept a big offer for him as I think his value is decreasing by the minute.  He is a nice lad, a credit to the club and to his family.  But world class - not any more.  Now go and prove me wrong next week Michael.

If Owen gets the right service he will score goals, to say he is not world class is totally wrong. If Liverpool get the players they need to mount a challenge next season we will see a different Owen.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:48 am

I think the Houllier regime didn't suit Owen over the last two years.  As we all know it wasn't totally unsuccessful, as he was European Player of the Year a couple of seasons back.  So where did it all go wrong?  I believe Owen will come back stronger after Euro 2004, i'm convinced he will sign a new deal, and prove everybody wrong who doubted him at one point - myself included.
jonnymac1979

Postby whylongball? » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:30 pm

really hope he will bounce back but rite now, i agree that he's still not his best..his 1st touch seems like heskey's at times
whylongball?

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:32 pm

whylongball? wrote:really hope he will bounce back but rite now, i agree that he's still not his best..his 1st touch seems like heskey's at times

that was one game. he looked sharp against japan in the game before that. i'd rather he was off colour in friendlies than next sunday. big games call for big players, and st mike has proved he is a big game player on the biggest stage.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:40 pm

If we're completely honest, Michael is not the player he was.  His first touch leaves a lot to be desired, (this has been highlighted in the media lately) and he has lost some pace.  He has been a great player for Liverpool but we would be crazy not to accept a big offer for him as I think his value is decreasing by the minute.  He is a nice lad, a credit to the club and to his family.  But world class - not any more.  Now go and prove me wrong next week Michael.

???

Hmmm.

First touch? You obviously didn't go to the Newcastle game lad. He's an amazing player with a class first touch. To say he's lost pace is stating the obvious but he's improved every other aspect of his game and he's still lightening quick.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:45 pm

here is my overall evaluation of michael owen.

STRENGTHS: Just a wonderfully natural finisher who doesn't necessarily need his pace to score goals; he just needs to work himself half-a-yard in the box and knows exactly where to place the ball. He is extremely good in the air, but obviously isn't going to win many headers against far taller opponents; flash a dangerous cross into the box, though, and he'll get up to head well. Has also worked on his left foot, and while not perfect, the fact that he can have defenders in two minds as to which way he'll drag the ball is priceless, as is the way he'll shoot with his left foot rather than make a pig's ear of trying to get it onto his right foot - thus making him far less one-dimensional.

Mentally, is tough as can be. Has do deal with so much expectation, and I don't know of any other player who the press write off so frequently, only to be proven wrong each time. Doesn't always receive the best service –– or rather, it can lack variety. His understanding with Gerrard is crucial. Owen is just very single-minded and driven. His ambition may take him elsewhere, but no one can accuse him of not giving Liverpool consistently excellent service for the best part of a decade.

WEAKNESSES: Physical - the serious hamstring strains seem to be a thing of the past, but he didn't seem to be running at full-pelt last season. His style means he's not easy to play up front with, but would have benefited from a Beardsley-type creator (preferably a taller one, like Sheringham in his prime). Litmanen seemed a good foil on paper (unfortunately, they didn't share much time together on grass) and Anelka's ability to drop deep and drift wide but also spot a pass made him another excellent candidate, as he was tall and strong like Emile. Cisse's arrival (if Benitez goes with two up front - and he should, with these two: the calibre of goalscorers with phenomenal pace he didn't have in Spain) should help massively, by giving defenders a lot more to worry about; capable of using his pace to set up goals, Cisse can also lift the burden on Mickey of being the main goalscorer. Michael's final weakness: penalties - they're rubbish.

VERDICT: Says it all that despite missing 1/3 of the league season, and not reaching the all-round form of previous seasons, he still ended up only two league goals short of his best Premiership tally. Retains a goal ratio of one-in-two, and 25 international goals confirms his quality. Such are the expectations that when he misses a few chances he gets written off. Hopefully Benitez's arrival will persuade him to stay, but even if he does leave he has promised to not do so on a Bosman. I fully expect him to sign a new deal now, but if there is no improvement in the team in two years' time (hard to believe) he could be off. He is a big game player - thriving on the pressure.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redandblue » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:53 pm

Owen is a great player. The sad thing is that under GH we never saw the best of him..........no service whatsoever.

Hopefully things will change under the new manager. But if they don't, he'll be off. Just imagine how galling it is for Gerrard and Owen sitting in the England dressing room with the Neville brothers, Scholes, Butt and Beckham talking about having to buy new cabinets to fit in all their medals.

And what do our lads have? Er, not very much. If things don't change quite quickly at Anfield, we will lose both of them.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion