Player development - New ideas

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby vlady16.1 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:24 pm

just take a moment to get your head around this one. we currently have great luck identifying good players but have had failures which have cost us dearly. we needed a nando of the champions league, a cisse of france not what they did at anfield. as we seem to have 'links' to the kraft organization, i think it would behove both parties to get together to examine the ways both parties select players and look specifically at the failures. why i say this is that the patriots are built in a similar fashion to us and typically win. they have a thoughtfull head coach - (bob billicheck) -- who reminds me of a poorly dressed rafa. what i am saying is that they choose the same sort of player and expect the same out of them.

the real purpose would be to look at the failures , to try to limit their occurance. there must be markers that could be found. kronkamp isn't a bad player nor is nando but they failed. why??? maybe someone with a fresh look, different experience may see a co-relation.

face it, there is alot of talent available so why do certain teams succeed with the darkhorses while others buy big names and fail. its easy to say that given chelsea's money anyone can win but look at real madrid.

player recruitment is where we will win it ( with roman's money its our only hope) and maybe this can give us an advantage.

for illustration i will give you matt millen's (detroit lion's gm) first round picks

joey harrington qb-- not mobile but you insert system where mobility is re'q- like playing xabi as a winger

charles rogers-- wide reciever-- 2 failed drug tests-- came from michigan state-- a major party school

roy williams wide reciever-- doesn't know how to practice

mike williams- wide reciever-- forgets to got to training

of course the offense was terrible

compare to new england who got tom brady 4 rounds later than harrington and he's great

what i mean is that to excell we need superior personnel choices and this may be one chance to get an advantage, though rafa is great at it already but can always be better
vlady16.1

Postby neil » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:48 pm

I'm ere all night.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:56 pm

vlady16.1 wrote:just take a moment to get your head around this one. we currently have great luck identifying good players but have had failures which have cost us dearly. we needed a nando of the champions league, a cisse of france not what they did at anfield. as we seem to have 'links' to the kraft organization, i think it would behove both parties to get together to examine the ways both parties select players and look specifically at the failures. why i say this is that the patriots are built in a similar fashion to us and typically win. they have a thoughtfull head coach - (bob billicheck) -- who reminds me of a poorly dressed rafa. what i am saying is that they choose the same sort of player and expect the same out of them.

the real purpose would be to look at the failures , to try to limit their occurance. there must be markers that could be found. kronkamp isn't a bad player nor is nando but they failed. why??? maybe someone with a fresh look, different experience may see a co-relation.

face it, there is alot of talent available so why do certain teams succeed with the darkhorses while others buy big names and fail. its easy to say that given chelsea's money anyone can win but look at real madrid.

player recruitment is where we will win it ( with roman's money its our only hope) and maybe this can give us an advantage.

for illustration i will give you matt millen's (detroit lion's gm) first round picks

joey harrington qb-- not mobile but you insert system where mobility is re'q- like playing xabi as a winger

charles rogers-- wide reciever-- 2 failed drug tests-- came from michigan state-- a major party school

compare to new england who got tom brady 4 rounds later than harrington and he's great

what i mean is that to excell we need superior personnel choices and this may be one chance to get an advantage, though rafa is great at it already but can always be better

YYYYYYyyaaaaaaaaawnnnn.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby anti-hero » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:10 pm

Oh.. are we talking about Football?

YEAH! :D

-----

Anyways, I dont think you can really compare how the NFL transfers its players, and how FIFA does it. (The fact that both are diferrent sports does not matter.)

In America, they trade instead of paying money for players already in other teams. Plus, in Football (soccer) they do not have draft picks and such.

That's why you see such a huge gap in the quality of players playing for the top teams compared to the lower teams in the Premier League and the Serie A etc etc, .

Teams in the NFL are on a much level playing field because the best young player of that year goes to the most crappy team of that year. And the most crappy player of that year gets assigned to the best team of that year. Football does not work that way. The best teams always get the best young players.

FIFA does not rank teams and assign them draft picks because it is way too complicated to organise a draft pick. Imagine the number of teams that are going to be take part.. plus, there would be no real pool of players to choose from.

When Football (soccer) teams need young talent, they draw it from their youth academies. Which, I might add, teams in the NFL dont have. They do not need a youth academy because they rely on the players coming in from College.

Plus, the NFL teams dont really use money when they get their player. They trade the player back if they want another player. Right?

The systems are way too different to compare. It would be impossible to compare the players Bill Bellichick signs and the ones Rafa signs.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:16 am

you missed my point -- all that was said is true but in the nfl there is a cap and new england is very good and detroit is awful. why??? its player choice -- draft no draft it doesn't matter-- they choose better from the pool and when it happens in the epl its based on money -- so what -- diouf was a disaster alonso wasn't

my point is that maybe looking to someone from overseas who doesn't have any english preconceptions and again them with no american may benifit both

its not successes its the failures that need to be eliminated. the downside risk on a 10 million transfer is enormous and must be controlled -- i was suggesting a method to avoid this. i anticipated negatism.
vlady16.1

Postby Rafa D » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:50 am

:D :laugh: :D :laugh:

YOU ANTICPIPATED NEGATISM!!!

Your a crazt cat,

I think...Bush Loves Fart Jokes
We know that President Bush has a potty mouth and a fetish for groping foreign leaders. Now, thanks to U.S. News & World Report, we also learn that he loves nothing more than a good fart joke: He loves to cuss, gets a jolly when a mountain biker wipes out trying to keep up with him, and now we're learning that the first frat boy loves flatulence jokes. A top insider let that slip when explaining why President Bush is paranoid around women, always worried about his behavior. But he's still a funny, earthy guy who, for example, can't get enough of fart jokes. He's also known to cut a few for laughs, especially when greeting new young aides, but forget about getting people to gas about that.It's not the first account of Bush's fondness for flatulence. Back in 2001, UPI's Capital Comment served up this illuminating anecdote: A source tells UPI the president ended a recent energy policy meeting with Vice President Dick Cheney and others by jokingly offering his own personal stores of 'natural gas' to help alleviate the energy crisis.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:12 pm

vlady16.1 wrote:just take a moment to get your head around this one. we currently have great luck identifying good players but have had failures which have cost us dearly. we needed a nando of the champions league, a cisse of france not what they did at anfield. as we seem to have 'links' to the kraft organization, i think it would behove both parties to get together to examine the ways both parties select players and look specifically at the failures. why i say this is that the patriots are built in a similar fashion to us and typically win. they have a thoughtfull head coach - (bob billicheck) -- who reminds me of a poorly dressed rafa. what i am saying is that they choose the same sort of player and expect the same out of them.

This is actually a thought provoking thread in a way, I know what you are saying about transfer policies. Bellichick is a very very clever NFL coach and does his homework when picking drafts and buying players.... (granted a different sport but the principle is the same)when it comes to Football transfers obviously luck is a major factor, some work out others dont some managers are possibly better as judging players than others, look at Arsene Wenger with Anelka buy him for 500,000 and sell him a couple of years later for 23 million and buy a winger in the Juventus reserves as a replacement who turns out to be Theirry Henry...(im ignoring the cygans, the Luznys and, stepanovs etc) A major factor in management is buying players and I think getting as much background about a player is a huge factor (look at Gerard Houillier buying El Hadj Diiof and and Salif Diao for huge money based largely on World cup performances...both turning out to be waste of spaces......but yeah I kind of see where u are actually coming from........
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby coddy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:11 pm

vlady16.1 wrote:you missed my point -- all that was said is true but in the nfl there is a cap and new england is very good and detroit is awful. why??? its player choice -- draft no draft it doesn't matter-- they choose better from the pool and when it happens in the epl its based on money -- so what -- diouf was a disaster alonso wasn't

my point is that maybe looking to someone from overseas who doesn't have any english preconceptions and again them with no american may benifit both

its not successes its the failures that need to be eliminated. the downside risk on a 10 million transfer is enormous and must be controlled -- i was suggesting a method to avoid this. i anticipated negatism.

Being a Patriots fan as well, i understand where your coming from.

But, there are many factors of what makes a good player, Andriy Shevchenko hasn't really done much at Chelski but there's not doubt he was (maybe still is) one of the best strikers around.

Then look at Thierry Henry, some people would say he's the best piece of investment the EPL has ever seen (and he's still going)

I then look at Fernando and Djibril, both highly rated players, neither really performed in this league seemingly without any excuse (although a broken leg for Cisse probably didn't help). I still think both of these are good players, although Mori is getting on a bit he's still scoring goals for his new club. Cisse, we will just have to see how he gets on after recovering again.

Using Tom Brady as a comparable to any EPL player is ludicrous. There have been many great NFL players in recent times, and there have been many flop players. Terrell Owens was in the spotlight all last year for arguing with his coach, he is possibly the best Wide Reciever I have ever seen.

The motivation in NFL is different from the EPL, there are many different things to work for in English Football like Cups, Money, Transfer Possibilities, playing for your Country, pride. In NFL there is only one Cup/Trophy to work for, Transfer Possibilities are limited, you dont play for your Country but you can represent your Conference. Pride is probably the biggest reason to push yourself in NFL (as well as improving to get a massive salary), whereas I believe there is more pressure to succeed in English Football.
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion