England vs equador - Prelude and aftermath

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:21 pm

Watching that performance yesterday was really frustrating, we constantly allow inferior teams the level playing field through poor selection, tactics and substitutions.
Yes we are through and thats the most important thing but we are not looking like a team at all, too many players play for themselves. Sven is not brave enough at all either, we were playing Ecuador (possibly the weakest of second round opponents) and we play a 5 man midfield, wtf is all that about...straight away we are giving the initiative away. Defoe and Parker should of been there in Germany and due to the injury to Owen, both should of started the Ecuador game.
Playing one upfront is not a bad thing, but if the one is Wayne Rooney then it just doesnt work. Rooney is a fantastic player and can adapt to play whatever role is asked, but he is our best player so why not play him where he is most comfortable and were he will cause most damage ?
Lampard has been nothing short of disgraceful in this tournament, he is a goalscoring midfielder, take away his goals and he offers nothing, and he should of been dragged off at half time yesterday and replaced with Crouch.
We hung on for a 1-0 win against a side that were there for the taking, ending up with 2 holding midfielders, how negative is that ?
The only plus point is the fact that the players will go into the next match still feeling they have a point to prove and probably as underdogs.
We have been very fortunate with the draw, are group was easy and the order of the fixtures kept the pressure off, playing Sweden last when we were already through, to get Ecuador next round was also really fortunate, now we will face Portugal, who are beatable and have there playmaker Deco suspended, with the blubbering Ronaldo a major doubt.
I think we should make the semi's where it will probably be Brazil or Spain, then who knows ?
Sven needs to be bolder with his selections. 4-4-2 is a must. with Lampard droppimg to sub.
My team for Portugal.

Robinson
Carragher       Terry     Ferdinand      A Cole

Beckham             Hargreaves          J Cole

Gerrard

Rooney

Crouch

I criticised Hargreaves before the tournament started as he was woeful in the build up games, but with him being the best tackler out of the midfields Sven has selected and due to the fact that its a role he is used to playing i would start him. Scott Parker would of been ideal for that role but for some bizarre reason was overlooked.
Bring Lennon on for Beckham on about 70 minutes and Lampard for Crouch pushing Stevie further forward, that is my team that i feel would beat Portugal.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:55 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Scott Parker would of been ideal for that role but for some bizarre reason was overlooked.

Parker was/is injured at the back end of last season so he wasn't available as far as i'm aware.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:04 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Scott Parker would of been ideal for that role but for some bizarre reason was overlooked.

Parker was/is injured at the back end of last season so he wasn't available as far as i'm aware.

Really ? I wasnt aware of that.

Even if he was fit though Sven wouldnt of taken him, he is one of the players that is constantly overlooked despite being far better than the likes of Hargreaves Jenas and Carrick.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:09 pm

Parker had /just had glandular fever and would have been another major selection gamble.
account deleted by request

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:14 pm

kewellandthegang wrote:
The_Rock wrote:England's performance so far is similar to germany's run in the last world cup (if u discount the 8-0 saudi win).... Not that impressive, but they can still manage to get through. But i can't see them going pass the semis.

If england can get pass a depleted portugal team (Not as easy as it sounds as portugal do have good subs in the bench).... they will face either argentina or germany.

The way sven picks the team, i cannot see england beating those 2 teams.  The england team isn't playing as a team but a bunch of individuals. Even Switerzland looks more impressive than England at the moment....

Its a pity........ England really do have a great crop of players....but they have a incompetant manager.

On a lighter note...if greece can win euro 2004.......surely england can win world cup 2006  :eyebrow

i thought england play the argies/italy in the final ?

Your right , England could only meet meet Argentina/Germany/Italy in the final  (or the 3rd/4th place playoff )

If England get past Portugal it's odds on they'd play Brasil in the semi's . (other possibles are , Ghana , Spain or France)
Last edited by woof woof ! on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:21 pm

personally, if we get to the semi's i'd rather play brazil than spain. the thought of xavi, alonso and fabregas against our midfield at the moment leaves me petrified. :sniffle
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:35 pm

stmichael wrote:personally, if we get to the semi's i'd rather play brazil than spain. the thought of xavi, alonso and fabregas against our midfield at the moment leaves me petrified. :sniffle

I think you are spot on mate, if we get to the semi's then it will probably be against one of them, and i would much rather play Brazil if we had a choice, Spain are fantastic at keeping posession and would dominate our midfield...like they did the last friendly we played them, we were outclassed that day.
I also think the prestige of playing Brazil would raise the efforts of the players an extra 20 %.
Spain are to be avoided imo.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:39 pm

:censored: Brazil

:censored: Spain

:censored: Portugal

:censored: France

:censored: Germany

:censored: Sven

Were England, Stand up and be proud.

ENGLAND - Ending 40 years....
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:24 pm

stmichael wrote:I also couldn't stand the fact that the BBC panel kept going on about Carrick's passing and just ignored the vast plains of landspace that were being left in front of the back four when they didn't have the ball.

I love the fact that in the Spain v Tunisia game, Alonso gave one of the best holding midfield performances i've ever seen yet not a SINGLE mention was made. Then Carrick puts in an average one and it was a masterclass. If that's not a sign of plain stupidity then I don't know what is.

Agreed.  Carrick looked well out of his depth yesterday.  Largely anonymous (such that Stevie kept dropping deep to get the ball anyway) with a few very dodgy moments (gifting the ball to an opponent at the edge of the England area).

If England require a holding midfielder, whatever formation they play, surely the job must go to Hargreaves on current form?

I'd say Sven had lost the plot but that presumes there was a plot to begin with! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:36 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
stmichael wrote:I also couldn't stand the fact that the BBC panel kept going on about Carrick's passing and just ignored the vast plains of landspace that were being left in front of the back four when they didn't have the ball.

I love the fact that in the Spain v Tunisia game, Alonso gave one of the best holding midfield performances i've ever seen yet not a SINGLE mention was made. Then Carrick puts in an average one and it was a masterclass. If that's not a sign of plain stupidity then I don't know what is.

Agreed.  Carrick looked well out of his depth yesterday.  Largely anonymous (such that Stevie kept dropping deep to get the ball anyway) with a few very dodgy moments (gifting the ball to an opponent at the edge of the England area).

If England require a holding midfielder, whatever formation they play, surely the job must go to Hargreaves on current form?

I'd say Sven had lost the plot but that presumes there was a plot to begin with! :D

Well with Neville back in training today and a possible starter for Saturday then i would imagine Hargreaves will play the holding role against Portugal anyway. I said in a previous thread that i wasnt happy with his inclusion in the squad but i think he has justified it far more than Jermaine Jenas.
The fact that Hargreaves is used to playing that position at the top level should give him the nod ahead of Carrick.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:50 pm

personally, if we get to the semi's i'd rather play brazil than spain. the thought of xavi, alonso and fabregas against our midfield at the moment leaves me petrified.

You seem too sure that we'll go through tomorrow. I'm not. It will be a game between two teams that know each other too well, it's going to be balanced. Plus, France had a slow start, but they're definitely better than Switzerland; the press has underrated them too much just because they're veteran. That's a mistake.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:58 pm

Sabre wrote:You seem too sure that we'll go through tomorrow. I'm not. It will be a game between two teams that know each other too well, it's going to be balanced. Plus, France had a slow start, but they're definitely better than Switzerland; the press has underrated them too much just because they're veteran. That's a mistake.

Sabre looking at this game as a neutral (well not totally neutral, Spain are every reds second team) i think you should be too strong for France. Obviously with players like Zidane and Henry they should not be underestimated, but Spain have more quality in every position and also in reserve.
I have been pretty impressed with aragones's substitutions as well...no messing around, in the Tunisia game things were not working but the manager had the sense to change things around. To be honest though there are not many better squads than what Aragones has in Germany.
I expect a tough game but Spain to come out on top.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:07 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote: :censored: Brazil

:censored: Spain

:censored: Portugal

:censored: France

:censored: Germany

:censored: Sven

Were England, Stand up and be proud.

ENGLAND - Ending 40 years....