England vs equador - Prelude and aftermath

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:11 pm

GOAT wrote:
john craig wrote:
drummerphil wrote:I just think we are shít nothing more nothing less.Felt that way since the last world cup in 2002.In 2001
we beat Germany 5-1 away and i thought we could be on to something here with this swedish bloke,nothing ever since convinced me.I think how we have played in friendlys and games like Northern Ireland over the last 5 years where the manager would change 11 players etc and play players out of position and he has cost 5m a year for feck all.The most concerning part though is his right hand man most of the time has been Mclaren who if he  has had any input at all with training or pitch side tactics is the new England manager.............fecking god help us.

I agree Phil.  England were woeful today, but having said that it's another poor performance and another win.  Germany played like this at the last world cup and got to the final.  I don't know about anyone else but I find it so surreal that England are winning games and playing this badly that I'm starting to get the feeling that luck is with them this year - Ecuador hit the bar from what seemed a certain goal and then Beckham scores a free kick despite being the worst player on the pitch today - you never know.

Thats exactly what i think, even though we're playing sh.ite i just feel like this is our tournament with everything going our way so far. Portugal have beaten holland 1-0 with 4 players sent off. We play scholari again for the 3rd time on saturday, an exact rematch of euro 2004, is it fate that we will win this time?

Another slice of luck for England is that Costinha and Deco are both suspended, Figo may be done on video evidence for his pathetic headbutt and get suspended also, and Ronaldo picked up a bad looking injury which may make him a doubt for the England game. 

I think Portugal are a better team than England but they don't have the strength in depth so with those players out England could find themselves in the semis.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:01 pm

If Fat Frank had put away a few of the chances he had ,we would be looking back on a 3 or 4 goal win and everyone would be carried away about how we are going to win the cup. By winning by only one goal it keeps everybodys feet on the floor and they will try even harder to play better and win against Portugal. Portugal will be without key players and others will already have a booking(who doesnt?) and be trying to be careful. Ok thats my attempt at a positive spin :D
account deleted by request

Postby Lionheart » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:58 pm

Congrats to England on advancing to the quarter finals. But in all honesty it must be more nerve wracking than pleasing after seeing the display Sven & his lads put on tonight. This has to be the poorest team in term of organisation than I have seen since heaven knows when.

There are eleven players on the park playing eleven different games. The sooner Sven goes the better for the game in England.

I noticed someone had posted that if England won the world cup it would be the worst thing that could happen to football. I 100% agree. People would look at the standard of the games and say, "Well, if that's football I'll try hurling/tennis/rugby/tiddlywinks!!" IT'S BORING!! There's no passion, there's no commitment. Bleh!!!  ???

Rant over... :D
Last edited by Lionheart on Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:59 pm

Ill try to stay as positive as possible. I can actually see us winning this quarter final the way things are shaping up. Hopefully a semi final is on its way, from there anything can happen
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Lionheart » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:01 am

GOAT wrote:Ill try to stay as positive as possible. I can actually see us winning this quarter final the way things are shaping up. Hopefully a semi final is on its way, from there anything can happen

...and you'll be playing Australia in the final!!! Keep dreaming GOAT!!  ???   

:D

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:05 am

Lionheart wrote:
GOAT wrote:Ill try to stay as positive as possible. I can actually see us winning this quarter final the way things are shaping up. Hopefully a semi final is on its way, from there anything can happen

:D  Hey, let me dream if i want! Someone has to!
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Lionheart » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:09 am

GOAT wrote:
Lionheart wrote:

:D  Hey, let me dream if i want! Someone has to!

...at least make it a wet dream!!!!

or maybe England winning the world cup IS a wet dream!!!!   :wwww

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kobashi » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:18 am

john craig wrote:
GOAT wrote:
john craig wrote:
drummerphil wrote:I just think we are shít nothing more nothing less.Felt that way since the last world cup in 2002.In 2001
we beat Germany 5-1 away and i thought we could be on to something here with this swedish bloke,nothing ever since convinced me.I think how we have played in friendlys and games like Northern Ireland over the last 5 years where the manager would change 11 players etc and play players out of position and he has cost 5m a year for feck all.The most concerning part though is his right hand man most of the time has been Mclaren who if he  has had any input at all with training or pitch side tactics is the new England manager.............fecking god help us.

I agree Phil.  England were woeful today, but having said that it's another poor performance and another win.  Germany played like this at the last world cup and got to the final.  I don't know about anyone else but I find it so surreal that England are winning games and playing this badly that I'm starting to get the feeling that luck is with them this year - Ecuador hit the bar from what seemed a certain goal and then Beckham scores a free kick despite being the worst player on the pitch today - you never know.

Thats exactly what i think, even though we're playing sh.ite i just feel like this is our tournament with everything going our way so far. Portugal have beaten holland 1-0 with 4 players sent off. We play scholari again for the 3rd time on saturday, an exact rematch of euro 2004, is it fate that we will win this time?

Another slice of luck for England is that Costinha and Deco are both suspended, Figo may be done on video evidence for his pathetic headbutt and get suspended also, and Ronaldo picked up a bad looking injury which may make him a doubt for the England game. 

I think Portugal are a better team than England but they don't have the strength in depth so with those players out England could find themselves in the semis.

England are a joke. After each game its "we will get better2 but it never happens.  Portugal may have lost some players but should be still to strong 4 England.  Carrick wasnt that good.  No way near as good as the BBC thinks.  He gave the ball away and didnt control the game at all.

As for Portugal figo got yellowed so fifa can't give extra punishment, they said it after the match as well...

for ronaldo portugal have simao, for costinha they have petit, for deco its tiago.  Still a very strong side and a midfield more than capable of keeping the ball away from England.  England are actually one of the worst sides in the tournament.  Not one good performance v 4 average - poor sides.
kobashi

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:38 am

England are 3 matches away from being world cup winners after playing ok football.(still best side in every match so far)3 great performances(and a bit of luck)thats not too much to ask is it? We can do it!
account deleted by request

Postby laza » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:26 am

disaster if they win ???, i think somebody been reading too many fairy tales.
How often does a team from kickoff of first group match dominate every game playing entertaining attacking football end up winning the world cup.
Teams before have scraped and struggled and just clicked at right time and snatched the ultimate prize and wheels of football civilization havent  fallen off.
Ive been disappointed with Englands performances so far but it seems some people critquie is as extreme as some of pre tourney hype of their ability
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:06 am

Hope we stay the under dogs it didnt do Liverpool any harm in the CL, after witnessing that Holland V Portugal last night, dreadful ref 25 fouls, 16 yellows and 4 reds what a total clueless knob he was.
Hope Portugal try that cheating and diving against us next week, Rooney, Gerrard and Carra will knock the fuck out of them they where like little girls embarressing.  :no
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:38 am

England's performance so far is similar to germany's run in the last world cup (if u discount the 8-0 saudi win).... Not that impressive, but they can still manage to get through. But i can't see them going pass the semis.

If england can get pass a depleted portugal team (Not as easy as it sounds as portugal do have good subs in the bench).... they will face either argentina or germany.

The way sven picks the team, i cannot see england beating those 2 teams.  The england team isn't playing as a team but a bunch of individuals. Even Switerzland looks more impressive than England at the moment....

Its a pity........ England really do have a great crop of players....but they have a incompetant manager.

On a lighter note...if greece can win euro 2004.......surely england can win world cup 2006  :eyebrow
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kewellandthegang » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:35 am

The_Rock wrote:England's performance so far is similar to germany's run in the last world cup (if u discount the 8-0 saudi win).... Not that impressive, but they can still manage to get through. But i can't see them going pass the semis.

If england can get pass a depleted portugal team (Not as easy as it sounds as portugal do have good subs in the bench).... they will face either argentina or germany.

The way sven picks the team, i cannot see england beating those 2 teams.  The england team isn't playing as a team but a bunch of individuals. Even Switerzland looks more impressive than England at the moment....

Its a pity........ England really do have a great crop of players....but they have a incompetant manager.

On a lighter note...if greece can win euro 2004.......surely england can win world cup 2006  :eyebrow

i thought england play the argies/italy in the final ?
kewellandthegang

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:06 pm

Have to agree with everyone else - utter sh#te. Then we have to put up with the media cr@p trying to spin it as a good performance !

How lampard stays on the pitch is unbelievable - not only can't he hit a cows @rse with a banjo (which he can play really well) but he's also lost his ability to pass. Just get that tw@t out of Gerrards way. Yet again Stevie was utterly wasted - like having a ferrari and only using it to drive to the supermarket to pick up the shopping. If lamparse wasn't playing Gerrard would have had three or four goals by now. Aaron Lennon has looked the dog's boll#cks whenever he's been allowed on the pitch, yet he's played a total of twenty minutes.

Reminds me of us a couple of seasons ago - there are always at least three passengers in the team.

You could give ericksson the ingredients to make Beef Wellington and he'd turn it into a stodgy stew.  :angry:

I also couldn't stand the fact that the BBC panel kept going on about Carrick's passing and just ignored the vast plains of landspace that were being left in front of the back four when they didn't have the ball.

I love the fact that in the Spain v Tunisia game, Alonso gave one of the best holding midfield performances i've ever seen yet not a SINGLE mention was made. Then Carrick puts in an average one and it was a masterclass. If that's not a sign of plain stupidity then I don't know what is.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:05 pm

I beleive that this is Englands level and that the media worked up the whole country int thinking they had a golden generation when there are a couple of exellent players - most are over hyped by media. Robinson, Lampard and Terry have been terrible.

Rooney showed some great flashes of brilliance though.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion