England vs equador - Prelude and aftermath

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:33 am

Defo better than playing Germany but this one is a real banana skin because Equador looked like one of the better teams in the tournament in their first two wins. The Germany defeat doesn't count for much because they rested several several players for that game. Chances are they will be fresher than the England lads and you guarantee they will deal with the heat far better. This could go one of two ways. The team could sort their act out and put together 90 minutes of quality for the first time this tournament or we could see another fragmented performance and a scrappy win.

With the exception of the 1st halves against Sweden and (to a lesser extent) Paraguay, the England team have failed to deliver thus far. However, I don't think their performances have justified the endless stream of criticism from the media (and the majority of fans) so i'm really hopeful they can turn in a convincing performance to shut the hacks up (if only for a short time.)

So what has mad Svennis got up his sleeve for this one? Latest rumours seem to think we will line up in a 4-5-1. That makes a lot of sense to me, I'm gutted for Owen but i think his injury could actually do England a favour. He was a long way short of fitness and looked as if he needed another 6/7 games to get back the sharpness that makes him a great player. England's ONLY chance of success at this World Cup rely on getting the BEST out of Steven Gerrard and perhaps 80% of Rooney's best. Stevie is the best player in the squad, take off the shackles and England will frighten teams again. Rumour also has it Sven will drop our Jamie and move Hargreaves to Right-back with Carrick coming in to play the holding role. I don't disagree entirely with that, Carra isn't an international Full-back and he hasn't looked particularly comfortable playing there but then Hargreaves is no full-back either. Has anyone noticed we don't actually have another quality right-back in this country after Gary Chuckle? Scariest rumour is that Serious Sol will come in (ahead of Carra!!!!) should Ferdinand be unfit to play against Paraguay. Madness :(

My prediction for the game. Stevie to shine and England to get their act together in a 3-1 win.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RosieMac » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:35 pm

I'm seriously worried about having Rooney as the only striker. He's not up to perfect form yet.
RosieMac

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:36 pm

It will be an interesting game, one thing's for sure tho, Ecuador will be looking to keep the ball and play away from England as much as possible and in the heat (which I still think is an excuse) England can't afford to be chasing the ball or the game. On the same token, I hope England score a few goals in the second half that gives England less playing time to sit back and play deeply unattractive football. A plus point for England is that Ecuador house a very weak defence, who cannot handle constant pressure, so it's up to the likes of Joe Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham and Rooney to exert pressure constantly thru out the match.

As for the tactics and formations, I can see England playing a 4-3-3 when in attack with Carrick, Beckham and Cole playing in the midfield, with Gerrard and Lampard uptop supporting Wayne Rooney. Then the solid 5 man midfield will come into play when England are under pressure from the likes of Delgado. I agree with dropping Carragher he's not as Scott says an International full back or even a full back at club level. Unless Neville is fit, which is a major doubt, it looks like we have no choice but to play Hargreaves. I'm not a fan of Owen but I think he is very good at keeping the ball and considering the players have been moaning about the heat, he will be for once and added bonus in the England team. As for playing Carragher in the middle with Ferdinand that could well work, Ferdinand likes to push up somewhat and Carragher like Terry likes to stay further back. Terry and Carragher wudn't in my eyes work tbh. Simply for the small fact they are practically the same player, they are in the same mould as well, it's like playing Lampard and Gerrard together. Campbell in my book is far too old, if we have a crisis then England should then bring him in but for anything else is a no.

I expect a difficult game against Ecuador, if England can keep the ball for large parts of the game, get the right balance between defence and attack, not sit back and go out to play then England can win 3-0. However I'm almost certain England will sit back after getting a goal and I'm sure they will crumble with a lapse of concentration either by chocolate fingers Robinson or the defence, so I'm going for 2-1.
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:00 pm

England need to take this game very seriously, Ecuador have looked a decent side.  I thought they'd be the whipping boys of their group as I'd seen a bit of them in the warm up games and they were awful, but they've played some good stuff (albeit against Poland and Costa Rica who are poor sides).  Also there is absolutely no pressure on them in this game, whereas England have all the pressure, not only are they expected to win, but to win comfortably and produce their first convincing performance of the tournament.

Lump on top of that the selection problems, which are all Eriksson's making.  His refusal to drop big names who underperform has continued, so expect Lampard and Beckham to start again despite doing feck all so far.  Then there's the defence which was a shambles against Sweden, when Ferdinand was a joke and Terry and Carra had poor games - obviously Sven takes the media-friendly option and Carra is made the scapegoat with Hargreaves ready to come in V Ecuador.  Carra is no full back but is still a better option than Hargreaves imo.  Despite Hargreaves actually having his best game in an England shirt the other night against Sweden (don't be fooled though he's still not good enough), he is once again to have his position switched.  Nice one Sven.

Up front Owen's injury may have helped England.  He is a player who needs a lot of games to get match sharp after a lay off and he simply didn't have time, England wouldn't have seen the best from him at this tournament.  But in his wisdom Sven has brought Walcott (who he has no intention of playing by the way as it's obvious he's not ready) instead of a direct Owen replacement in Bent/Defoe.  Stuck for options, it'll either be a five man midfield with a half-fit Rooney up front, or Crouch plus a half-fit Rooney with an ineffective Lampard-Gerrard midfield.

I want England to do well, but Erikkson is so fecking frustrating it's unreal.  I predict a nervy game and an unconvincing 2-1 win for England.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:34 pm

Sorry lads but honestly think we are coming home.Nothing has convinced me especially svens tactics,that either  a.he knows what he is doing
                           b.  We can play any better in this competition
                     and c.we can keep a lead........

That bloody swede has cost us far too much money for far too long,his squad selection is a fecking joke.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RosieMac » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:09 pm

It just BOGGLES MY MIND why Svenno is treated Rooney like a magic bullet when the kid hasn't done anything but throw a tantrum when he got taken off during the Sweden match. Why not go with someone who's tried and tested, who's already scored, like Crouch? Forget about yellow cards - England needs to play as if this is its very last shot (which, actually, it is!), go all out, get to the next round first and then worry about fancy changes!
RosieMac

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:20 pm

RosieMac wrote:It just BOGGLES MY MIND why Svenno is treated Rooney like a magic bullet when the kid hasn't done anything but throw a tantrum when he got taken off during the Sweden match. Why not go with someone who's tried and tested, who's already scored, like Crouch? Forget about yellow cards - England needs to play as if this is its very last shot (which, actually, it is!), go all out, get to the next round first and then worry about fancy changes!

Crouch doesn't have pace to be a lone striker, that's why he isn't being played. Rooney is much more of a threat than Crouch is, that's the truth of it. Altho neither are out and out strikers, so they will both find playing in a 4-5-1 formation, very challenging and I don't think England will get the best out of them. I still think England will go into a 4-3-3 when in attack with Lampard and Gerrard supporting Rooney and England will revert to a 4-5-1 formation when they are under pressure and Ecuador are attacking/building up play.

Unfortunately England have a serious lack of depth in the striker section of the squad, so there is little choice but change tactics. It's not good to be doing this in a World Cup finals, but there is sadly little choice. Sven's gambles and lack of care when choosing the 23 man squad will be England's downfall.
48-1119859832

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:43 am

Sven did the same mistake in euro 2004 when he picked a half-fit owen instead of defoe (who was scoring goals for fun that time).

Now he has done it again....why did he have to pick walcott when he did not have any major plans for him ? The FA cup should have sacked sven before the world cup and given the job to Maclaren.

England can still win the world cup......if steven gerrard is given the licence to roam ...not lamb-tard.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RosieMac » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:54 am

0asis wrote:Crouch doesn't have pace to be a lone striker, that's why he isn't being played. Rooney is much more of a threat than Crouch is, that's the truth of it. Altho neither are out and out strikers, so they will both find playing in a 4-5-1 formation, very challenging and I don't think England will get the best out of them. I still think England will go into a 4-3-3 when in attack with Lampard and Gerrard supporting Rooney and England will revert to a 4-5-1 formation when they are under pressure and Ecuador are attacking/building up play.

Oh aye, I didn't mean to infer that Crouch should be on instead of Rooney. I meant that it would be a better idea to have both. If I had to choose only one, I think Rooney WOULD be the better bet, but I'd rather have two.
RosieMac

Postby AwiLas » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:00 am

A 3-1 win is realistic bro.. Forget abt scoring, just concentrate on who's playing.. If Carrick is really playing the holding position, it gives Stevie G and Lampard more room to attack.. The ball is round and even the Coles on the left can score.. Cheers.. Rooney is frustrated for being substitute against Sweden, so he will vent his anger on the Ecuadorians goalkeeper.. Hahah.. A hat-trick for Rooney, all assisted by the great vision of Stevie G.. Adios..
AwiLas

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:10 am

Whats with all the negative comments. Ecuador have played well this competition but be are still capable of giving them a lesson in football im confident with this one 3-0 england

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby radun5 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:33 am

The_Rock wrote:Now he has done it again....why did he have to pick walcott when he did not have any major plans for him ? The FA cup should have sacked sven before the world cup and given the job to Maclaren.

Yes, I agree the bloody cup should have sacked Sven !!  :D

Why is it that almost everytime Sven's name appears on this forum there is a statistic tendency of using the term "inept"?   :D  Is it just because he has only brought 1 1/2 strikers to the WC ? surely that is good enough for another glorious exit in the quarter of finals, right ? :angry:

Sorry for being sarcastic, England is my favourite team for WC 2006, but I have to say I cannot see it happening at the moment with that inept (there, I've said it myself) . There just is not enough depth in the squad ... I mean in the 23-selection from the most non-swede Swede of them all. Still I guess the experience will help England in the match against Ecuador. I wish you good luck ... you will need it  :buttrock
Last edited by radun5 on Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
radun5

Postby Lionheart » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:47 pm

Sorry guys, I think England will be on their way home after this match. I'd like to think it will be different but I have seen nothing that could persuade me to think England can beat an Ecuadorian side that will probably run the English boys ragged...especially those that are lacking match fitness.

Red card for Rooney (he won't be able to contain his frustration). Just why does Sven treat this lad like he is something approaching God status??

Good luck though and I will be the first to applaud if you do manage to push through to the final eight... :D

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:29 pm

You know with all the doubters around this world cup i wouldnt be surprised if we went on and won the damn thing! It has a knack of happening like that  :D

Doubt that will happen though! But i think we can easily reach the last 8, ecuador can be beaten easily enough, people are savagely overrating them. Last 8 probably but probably not much further than that
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:41 pm

We play too defensive style football for my liking but id still say 2-0 or 2-1 stevie g first goal. then on to portugal or holland next saurday!!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion