Steven

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:45 am

Deschamps on Gerrard prior to the match against Monaco:

'They are all dangerous, but Liverpool depend a lot on Gerrard, he is their driving force. When he plays well, Liverpool play well.

'He does everything, tackles, passes long or short, gets forward, scores goals. Above all, I like him because of his spirit. He badly wants to win'
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:23 am

Lets see how much the rest of them want to win without him :)
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:18 am

can somebody tell me how gerrard got his injury? i've watched the game on tape and still can't see how he did it. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mynameisred » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:34 am

The old studs in the turf whilst turning trick.
Losing him will be an interesting period for us as many have already pointed out its now the responsibility of the other players to continue to progress without him.However it will also highlight just how far we have to go. Arsenal, who are the current benchmark, have played without Viera and looked not to have missed him. Will our players be able to make it so that we also dont miss Gerrard it will be tough but thats what a squad is about. As I say it could become interesting and I for one am getting fed up with the whole reliance on Gerard c.rap thats in the press and seemingly believed by everyone else too. Yes Stevie G is a great player and any team would miss him but we are not and should be a one man team, I expect players who now may get a chance to show why the hell they were brought to our great club in the first place.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:35 am

That should read that we shouldnt be a one man team ,whoops.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:37 am

well with hamann in the side now, it should allow alonso more of a licence to roam forward. could be devastating! :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mynameisred » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:49 am

I agree Saint, but Nunez can also play anywhere in Midfield so we hopefully will also have options. Im gonna get cained for this and yes he has scored alot of goals alraedy but I havnt thought that Stivie G has got anywhere near his form of last season. He hasnt seemed to dominate defensivly in midfield as much as normal, I know Rafa doesnt want him to play that way and maybe we expect too much of him but thats my early impression. Also IMO and again this is an early impression but his passing has been more wayward so far this term than what I probably saw for the whole of last. When you couple this with the passing ability of Alonso so far I would hasten to remark that perhaps Gerrard will no longer continue to be the main ball player in the team. For those wanting my address I again would just like to say they are just early impressions.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:51 am

if i were the manager, i'd play nunez on the right and move garcia to the left with the licence to roam. kewell needs to be given a kick up the @rse because he's just not doing it at the moment.

is nunez fit now? i know he played for the reserves the other night. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mynameisred » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:59 am

Yeah he played and he will prob be slowly introduced to the first team. I hear he is a good player actually, not a typical winger as he is big, strong and good in the air. Warnock should have a run in the team, Im not of the mind that Kewell should be swapped for an orange and a lump of coal but perhaps taking him out of the firing line for a couple of games may benefit him. If Warnock plays well he will know he has competition and may just provide the spur for him.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:53 pm

Rafael Benitez believes Steven Gerrard is a better footballer than Frank Lampard.
Benitez praised Lampard ahead of tomorrow's game but said that Steven Gerrard was a better player than his England colleague.

"You look at Steven and what he has done for us this season, to have scored 17 goals for Liverpool, that is just fantastic," he said.

"I don't know how important Lampard is for Mourinho, but Gerrard is the key for us. People compare the two players and they say that Lampard scores more goals and he plays more games.

"But to score 17 goals for a team like Liverpool that scores far less than Chelsea, that shows Gerrard really is the key player.

"Lampard is a very good player but he has very many good players - very expensive players - around him at all times.

"Sometimes Chelsea have such dominance that they can coast through games - they find it easier at times to win matches.

"So people say that Lampard plays so many games, but when you are winning two or three-nil with plenty of time to go, then it is easier to manage that game, to rest in the contest.

"We don't have that luxury and it means our players get harder matches. Gerrard has to play hard through many matches but he is still offering so much to us every game."

LFC-ONLINE
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:39 am

how important is gerrard to LFC?

anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:04 am

Looking back, I wondered how I could have posted that "Damien Duff plus 31 million pounds would be fine by me" in reference to Gerrard going to Chelsea. Makes me feel rather like a fool for sticking my neck out and posting that on this thread.

That was before Rafa had gotten time and some money to build a team around the driving force and talents of one Steven Gerrard. Without his goal, energy, passion and drive, arguably we aould not have staged a successful comeback against AC Milan in Istanbul in the second half with the score 3-0 to AC Milan. Now, the stats Anfieldadorer posted above illustrates exactly what Steven Gerrard is to us.

I grew up watching the Liverpool of Bob Paisley emerging from a side that won nothing in his first season as manager, to a side that swept all before them in 9 short seasons. I used to say and believe that the greatest midfielder we ever had was one Graeme Souness who is like an iron fist wearing a velvet glove with the very much underrated Ronnie Whelan coming second. Gerrard's pure application of all of his abilities has now eclipsed even Graeme Souness in his pomp, IMHO. Graeme Souness had the luxury of playing with some of the best players ever to have played for Liverpool. Gerrard does not have that luxury. Imagine what kind of impact and achievements he would have had if he had players the calibre of Souness, Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush, Alan Hansen, Ronnie Whelan, Digger Barnes etc playing alongside him.

Make no mistake, Gerrard is already a Liverpool legend at the tender age of 25. If he keeps playing and contributing the way he does, he can run Kenny Dalglish very close to the accolade of the greatest Liverpool player ever. All that's missing is the league championship medal or two (or even more...).
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:58 am

Despite Wenger's sour grape over our European achievement, Thierry Henry has revealed that the Arsenal dressing room look up to Steven Gerrard after the Liverpool captain steered his side to Champions League glory last season.

"What Steven Gerrard did last year in the Champions League has been an inspiration to us all," said Henry.

"I am so pleased he has been named Player of the Year. It's been a long time coming for him. I have so much respect for the guy and I want to congratulate him."
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion