Steven

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:44 pm

:)
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:50 pm

All this transfer speculation, where is Benitez is all of this and how much say does he have in who comes and who goes ?
I know he's hardly got his bum in the hot seat but maybe he should be stamping his authority on things. A statement from him would be nice.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:34 pm

A straight "He's going nowhere at any price" retort to the scum press would appease me for now.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby redandblue » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:43 pm

I don't think that Benitez can say that because he is almost certainly on his way. Even Parry has gone public saying that it will be tough to hold on to him.

Gerrard may well be captain of England's most successful club, but our successes at the highest levels are becoming a distant memory. Those medals belong to the teams of the 70s and 80s. Chelsea may well have won nothing of note, but they did finish well ahead of us in the league and would have got to the final of the CL but for their managers substitutions.

They have a better squad and a better team which will get better. Maybe not good enough to challenge Arsenal, but better than us.

Lets face it, if we had got as far as Chelsea last season, we'd be absolutely thrilled.

He dragged us into fourth spot last season and without him we would not have got close. We all know that and he knows that. A player of his quality really must question what he is doing in a side which plays Portsmouth four times and wins one of them.

I know that he will take terrible stick as and when he leaves but he doesn't deserve that. But the fans should vent their anger at Moores and Parry, both of whom have had an easy ride for the fans for allowing this great club to slip into mediocrity over the past 14 years or so. Moores may be LFC through and through, but so are many of us. He is a clown with the IQ of a sparrow.

We have always managed to replace our exceptional players in the past but Gerrard's departure signals a very different message.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:47 pm

redandblue wrote:Moores may be LFC through and through, but so are many of us. He is a clown with the IQ of a sparrow.

if the worst comes to the worst and we lose gerrard and owen then david moores should resign. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:51 pm

Parry needs to grow some balls. He owes the supporters a statement instead of letting us fret and worry when we could be enjoying the Euros. All this media speculation has us worked up while he says nothing. Gutless!

The way i see it it is very simple. Assuming there is no clause in his contract (i don't think there is) Parry announces he is going nowhere at any price. I don't care if Gerrard fancies the move. I'm sick of player power, the lad has a contract, he stays unless Chelsea want to pay 50mill.

Grow some nads Parry
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:04 pm

Personally I would play hard ball and let Gerrard sulk for 4 years. He came through the academy and cost us nothing in transfer fees, so missing out on the £30million allegedly on offer would not be a loss, as we never shelled out for him in the first place.

Sometimes a club has to make a stand, and now is that time.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:47 pm

I agree, if the player has a contract and we want to keep him THEN HE STAYS !!!!
I'd rather see Gerrard sulking in our reserves than playing for another premier team.
I'm sick to death of player power, these B'stards earn more in a season than most of us do in a lifetime and yet they feel free to skip off when it suits them .F*ck 'em . Personally I don't see how Gerrard could ever come to LFC wearing a Chelsea or Manc shirt , he wouldn't get out of Liverpool in one piece.  :angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:16 pm

I feel i will lose my respect for him if he plays for Chelsea
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:22 pm

Me too.

If Owen was to move, I would clap him when he returns, but Gerrard could turn himself into the biggest hate figure ever seen on Merseyside.

It's that serious.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:26 pm

I agree. surely the lad has thought about this. He is loved at Anfield. Not just by the scousers. He is my favourite player by a country mile but right now i'm even struggling to cheer him on at the Euros. Steven Gerrard can be the next Dalglish, a king of Merseyside but it takes more than a couple of good seasons to do it.

If you go your'll regret it Steven.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:13 pm

Read what BBC says about Gerrard now, before you're getting really hurted then when he leaves
(hopefully never)

Gerrard: The Engine

If you hear anybody talk about this player you'll think they're a doctor or a car mechanic. Yep, England midfielder Steven Gerrard will be often referred to as the 'heart' of a team, making it tick. Or he'll have an 'unbelievable engine', that of a Rolls Royce perhaps. You see, this boy can run. And more importantly, he could run all day.

Playing in the centre, watch him get the ball and surge forward, bringing in other players with his range of short and long passes. And this Gerrard force will still be driving itself from every corner of the pitch for the full 90 minutes. To have this power and fitness, particularly towards the end of games when others are tiring, could be crucial to England's success. They have actually yet to lose in a competitive match in which Gerrard has played. And like all great players, he's good in all departments of his game.

Even Zinedine Zidane rates him. He reckons Gerrard "could become one of the top midfield players in Europe". Praise indeed. The Liverpool star can tackle, he can create and is also a great goal scorer. One of his finest England moments was his stunning 25-yard opening goal in the 5-1 pounding of Germany three years ago.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redandblue » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:26 pm

Sorry guys, but I disagree.

The guy is ambitious. He wants trophies, he wants to be competing at the highest levels. He single handedly dragged us into fourth spot last season in a team which is splattered with mediocrity.

He is not going to win league titles at Anfield or see us in the latter stages of the CL because we have too few excellent players and frankly a lot of dross.

He knows that there is a major rebuilding programme required at Anfield and we are years away from having a title winning side. In fact we are further away today than we have been for many years.

He has been a hero for the club but I for one wish him all the best because he is surrounded by a load of losers at Anfield, both on and off the pitch (Moores and Parry).

Wake up to the debris that GH has left behind.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:31 pm

redandblue wrote:The guy is ambitious. He wants trophies, he wants to be competing at the highest levels. He single handedly dragged us into fourth spot last season in a team which is splattered with mediocrity.

why would he go to chelsea then?

they're in no better position to win anything next season than we are. money doesn't guarantee success as they proved by winning nothing last season. we are also back in the champions league this season if we get throught the qualifier. any move to them is purely about money. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redandblue » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:37 pm

I think that they are in a far better position to win trophies than we are. Even if they don't win the league, they won't be out of it by October as we were last season.

True, money doesn't always buy success. But it helps a lot. Chelsea next season (and last season) will have a better squad of players coupled with an excellent manager.

I know that you guys disagree, but if he wants to further his career, he needs to get out of Anfield. Chelsea will have an excellent team next year, especially with him in it.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion