Sven starting 11 - Start with carra.

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Red @ Heart » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:43 pm

i just saw the starting 11 on SSN and sven has put in ferdinand in ahead of cara, even though i am a reds fan and im not being biase but i think carra should always be picked ahead of ferdinand, the reason is this ferdinand is not very good in my books, this may sound daft but ferdinand is a west ham player not only that i find he panicks on the ball never looks comfortable and plays some dangerous balls across the box, carra should always play along side terry no matter what, carra looks so comfortable in defence he is just bubbling over with confidence, just thought i would mention that.

oh BTW im welsh and i like to see england do well but when it comes to playing wales i hope that sven plays ferdinand.
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:46 pm

Because I'm not English I really don't want Carra to start for England as we don't need our players to be knackered due to pointless international friendlies.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:59 pm

I have to agree that as good as Rio Ferdinand clearly is, he's inferior to a fit Campbell, Terry and Woodgate, and certainly no better or worse than our own Jamie Carragher.

Carragher has not necessarily been overlooked the last few years because he's a bad player.  Far from it, Carragher is an immense player.  Being a utility player over the last few years has prevented him from earning more England caps in my opinion, even though he was the record Under-21 cap holder.  Maybe Sven felt he couldn't take a chance on him in certain positions as he hadn't played enough club games there etc..... he would always 'fill in' rather than be the number one choice for a position.

Now he is a bona fide dedicated centre back, and proven as one of the very best Europe has to offer, he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the players I have listed above, not just as an alternative to when they are injured or unavailable.  Carragher has progressed at an alarming rate in the last two years, he looks like he has an extra 30 - 40% competitive edge than he had in the Treble season where he was also on top form, albeit at left back, but as a centre back, he has matured into easily one of the most reliable and solid players in the game.

And now he's got the unique song he always wanted from The Kop.  In my biased eyes, he is simply the best.
jonnymac1979

Postby ry_math » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:59 pm

im a die hard liverpool fan but i honastly think rio is better for england (just because of international experience)
ry_math

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:11 pm

quite simply, we have the best selection of centre backs in world football. if you were picking on form then carra and terry would be the two centre halves. rio is decent on the ball but has no bravery whatsoever. carra is the opposite altough his distribution has improved tenfold. i think the main reason people overlook carra for england is because he's not what i'd call "a natural athlete". sol campbell's distribution is poor.

in terms of all round ability, the best centre halves are terry, ledley king (who i really rate) and woodgate (when fit).
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:57 pm

i rate ferdinand to be honest, he`s big, strong, athletic, fast and has a decent touch for a centre half. his over confidence does get him in trouble every now and again but he`s still a class act.
i would like to see a john terry / carra centre half partnership just because they are the most deserving players based on last seasons form but hand on heart that partnership does lack a yard against a forward with devastating pace. i think ferdinand gets the nod consistently because for a big lad he`s quick as f@ck.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby matrix » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:38 pm

agree with you all the way stmichael  england are spoilt for choice when it comes to centre backs  the best in the world by a long way   as for carragher not getting in the 11  thats no shame when you see the comp in front of him  englands line up is verry strong indeed  there isnt a weak link in the side looking forward to watching defoe because he is total class   i wish we had bought him when he was avallible  :cool:

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:44 pm

Come on guys.

I think we have to admit that Ferdinand has now become a top class centre back, I would even go as far as to say he is the best centre back in the world currently.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:01 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I think we have to admit that Ferdinand has now become a top class centre back, I would even go as far as to say he is the best centre back in the world currently.

best in the world? he's not even the best in this country. john terry for one is far superior and i also rate ledley king just as highly. ferdinand has a lot of talent, but would you really want him in your team in a fight? put him up against any decent physical forward e.g. shearer, ferguson and he struggles. hell even ashton made him look like a complete mug last season.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby matrix » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:57 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Come on guys.

I think we have to admit that Ferdinand has now become a top class centre back, I would even go as far as to say he is the best centre back in the world currently.

i agree with you luke   ferdinand is in the world elite   even if he does play for the scum   lets not kid ourselves just because he plays for the scurge     by the way about centre backs having a bad game now and then   tell me one that has never had a bad game   ???

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:40 am

rio....best in the world.....no chance

hes gd but but not tht gd......i honestly do rate carra higher than him
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolrich » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:07 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Come on guys.

dont get carried away he is good but noth the best in the world id go even as far to say hes not even the best 4 england
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby liverpoolrich » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:28 pm

seen the starting x1 against denmark

robinson
neville
ferdi
terry
ash cole
becks
gerrad
lampard