Sven - Stay or go?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:00 pm

it's all kicking off this week. there's people resigning and offering to resign left right and centre. there has been a lot of discussion as to whether sven should follow. i personally couldn't give a monkey's about his private life. i'm bothered about his results on the pitch and it has to be said that when it really matters in major tournaments he hasn't produced. i'll ask these questions.

1) when sven took over the job, did you feel that he was the right man for the job? if not, would you have preferred an englishman over a different foreign coach?

2) over his time as england coach, has sven improved the england team?

3) it won't happen due to the massive payoff he would receive but should sven be sacked on principal?

4) if so, who would you REALISTICALLY like to see replace him?

my answers:

1) no. the guy is the most overrated coach in world football and gets 4m a year for what can only be described as a part time job.

2) yes, when keegan left we were in a right state. sven brought some organisation to the side but never found a solution to the left side and hampered the side with his defensive tactics. with the players at his disposal, he should have achieved a lot more. he also should have thrown loyalty out the window with certain players who weren't performing.

3) yes.

4) harry redknapp
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:12 pm

Answers

(1) he had a good rep but he was also relagating Samdoria at the Time. I wanted a english manager for the english team.

(2) Yes he has improved the team since he took over but after Keegans reign, I could of made an improvement to the team.

(3) He shouldn't be saked due to him shagging some office tart. I say, give him one last tournament. The Fa panicked when Chelsea came knocking and just gave into a stupid contract on way to much money.

(4) Alan Curbushly or Steve McLaren.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scousewil » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:30 pm

1) Really couldn't have cared less at the time - just about anyone could have done better although i would have prepared an English coach.

2) Yes i really do think he has improved the team he's got a great track record compared to previous coaches. He can't be blamed for losing on penalties in Euro and to the best team in the world in the world cup.

3) Who hasn't sh@gged an office tart!? I say well in son, pity you got caught  :D

4) Gerrard Houllier  :D  :D
Na seriously tho agree with ckay on Steve McLaren. But that's not to say i want Sven out - give him till after the World Cup and see what he can do.
Scousewil

Postby supersub » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:17 pm

SVEN SHOULD GO BECAUSE HE IS A ****** POOR MANAGER.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:31 am

Sven took England to the Quarter finals of the World Cup and the Euro's but it flatters him a little when you consider he took over from that clown Keegan.

In the Euro's we proved that we haven't improved as a team since 2 years previously despite having some genuine world class players in the squad. He's tactically supposed to be superior to most so how come he got it so badly wrong in the Euro games ?  ???

I happen to think morality DOES matter especially in light of how many kids follow football and the FA demand a certain code of conduct from anyone who plays the game so why doesn't that extend to Sven ?

£ 4M a year for what ? If his team scored as many times as he alledgeadly does then we would be world beaters !!!!! :cool:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:51 pm

Lost his nerve in Portugal.
Gets away with murder
Venables must be gutted Sven has more commercial interests more scandal and not as succesful.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:22 pm

the news that scholes has quit england today re-emphasises that sven is not doing his job properly. it is the managers job to create the right atmosphere and get the players enjoying their football. scholes obviously wasn't doing this and claimed that he had been thinking about quitting for some time. if one of our best players is quitting at 29 then that says it all about england under sven for me. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scousewil » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:59 pm

Scholes been an excellent international for years but not of late. In fact id go as far to say that he's been sh*te. Maybe he's frightened of losin his place in the team - more than likely sooner or later if you ask me. Retiring from international football mite extend his time at club level which is where the money lies - and at that age, what matters most. Really don't think Sven's got anything to do with that St Michael.
Scousewil

Postby zackboxer » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:10 am

Has improved the team since taking over but Keegan was hopeless so that wasn't difficult.

Supposed to be one of the best managers in the world but his performance and tactics in Portugal were rubbish.
If he could keep his pecker in his pants for 5 minutes he might do better!!

Curbishley or McClaren would be ok in my book.
zackboxer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:45 pm

Here are 12 good reasons why they should end his reign.

LACK OF LOYALTY: He betrayed the FA by talking with Manchester United and Chelsea in an effort to get out of an England job he discovered was not to his liking. His second meeting with Chelsea’s Peter Kenyon came when he was preparing England for Euro 2004. Far from being reprimanded, he was awarded a £1million pay rise.

LACK OF LEADERSHIP: Failed to lift his side against Brazil in Japan then France and Portugal at Euro 2004. Twice “one of the greatest coaches in the world” was made to look half-witted by Luiz Felipe Scolari, whose dynamic pitchside presence and use of subs made Eriksson look a novice.

LACK OF COACHING INPUT: Rarely takes a coaching session himself, leaving it to Steve McClaren or Brian Kidd. As Alex Ferguson once asked: “What does he actually do?” Former England scout Ted Buxton said: “Sven never says much and hardly picks up a ball in training. He starts to flounder if you start talking tactics.”

LACK OF INSIGHT: It was blindingly obvious against Japan in England’s penultimate game before Euro 2004 that the diamond formation was a non-starter. Eriksson was only talked out of this nonsense by the players. Typically, ignored report prior to France game about Zinedine Zidane’s ability at set-pieces.

SELECTION BLUNDERS: Picks players not merely out of form but also unfit — no greater example than David Beckham at Japan 2002. Totally failed to solve England’s wide-left midfield problem. To such an extent he played Paul Scholes out of position in Portugal, subbed him in every game and hastened the Manchester United star into premature retirement.

CONTROLLED BY PLAYERS: A less than average player himself, he appears star-struck by the real thing. Easily manipulated. A good joke about Beckham picking the team turned into reality.

IGNORES COACHES: Perfectly put by Buxton, who said: “Sven didn’t seem to want to hear any advice. The only coach I ever saw him talk to was Brian Kidd — once. Brian said to me ‘I’ve never seen anything like this — why doesn’t he ask us anything?’”

TORD GRIP: Amiable senior citizen but what does he do for £300,000 a year? Apart from say how wonderful Sven is.

EXPOSED AS MYTH: Won trophies with Benfica — who doesn’t? — before earning nickname ‘The Successful Loser’ at Sampdoria and Roma. Finally won title with Lazio but bankrupted the club.

WASTE OF MONEY: At £4million a year, he is the best-paid manager in the world. For this he has taken a team with at least five world-class players to two quarter-finals. His record at major championships reads P9, W4, D2, L3.

LOST PUBLIC SUPPORT: Said he understood importance of the job but clearly never has — otherwise he would treat his position with more respect.

LAME DUCK: Should Eriksson continue, England will limp towards Germany 2006 with their manager’s credibility shot to pieces. In Eriksson’s own words: “How much more of this rubbish?”

FOOTNOTE: And no mention of you-know-who.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby zarababe » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:16 am

Dalglish wrote:Sven took England to the Quarter finals of the World Cup and the Euro's but it flatters him a little when you consider he took over from that clown Keegan.

In the Euro's we proved that we haven't improved as a team since 2 years previously despite having some genuine world class players in the squad. He's tactically supposed to be superior to most so how come he got it so badly wrong in the Euro games ?  ???

I happen to think morality DOES matter especially in light of how many kids follow football and the FA demand a certain code of conduct from anyone who plays the game so why doesn't that extend to Sven ?

£ 4M a year for what ? If his team scored as many times as he alledgeadly does then we would be world beaters !!!!! :cool:

Hello Dalglish,

Agree with what u say.

What puzzles me is how he seems to get the girls.. at his age and with his (lack of ) looks.. granted he's got a bank balance to die for.. but can't imagine how desperate someone must be to wake-up next to that every day  :(
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:50 pm

Sven is dangerous. Owen has publically admitted that Sven advised him to leave Liverpool. Where is Sven on Stevie G and Rooney with advice? The club's should take legal action against the FA for the disreputable behaviour of their employee. Not only does he set a bad example for all young men but he missuses the power of persuasion emanating from his position.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby kindaconfuzed » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:20 pm

RedR

Not sure Sven knows the place in Aigburth so we cant blame him for that one, but he did make Rooney play in the Europeans when he got injured
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby madred » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:56 pm

I cant stand the man or his brand of football and i wish he would go as soon as possible. His so called advising Michael to leave Liverpool is disgraceful. Bet it was him whispering in Stevie's ear along with the Chelsea players over his proposed move to them.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfuzed » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:51 pm

Madred

Forget the man what about that silly haircut and those glasses, how does he pull those woman.

How can we trust a man who cant keep it in his underpants. When he goes to these games looking for talent is it male or female he's after?
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion