Analysis of managerial candidates

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stan Laurel » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:01 pm

John Barnes's Granny, it was very interested post to read, mate.

I can't see Martin O'Neill to take over at Liverpool next season but I do love have him to take over but he want to stay at Celtic for another year.
Joao Mourinho would be fantastic choice for us, unfortunately he has been linked with Chelsea today, ba#ta#d to Chelsea after they sniffing around us!

Shankill Butcher, you sound like Glasgow Rangers fan and that's why you don't like Martin O'Neill, am I right?
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:06 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:
KenDeMange wrote:Top post that man JBG but Fickle nonetheless!

Sorry, but if folk gave GH as much passion as it prob took writing that post, we may not be the laughing stock we are today ???

Come off it. Liverpool's woes aren't the fans fault.....

I don't think it was fickle, I merely tried to see the pros and cons of the major candidates.

Its true that Ferguson and Wenger had no experience in England when they arrived and they succeeded, but the counter arguement is that Christian Gross, Joseph Venglos etc failed in the Premiership.

Maybe a little flattering to O'Neill, but not too bad overall  :;):
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:52 pm

Being a club manager is no different from any other job in management.
The old saying that a manager,who everyone likes ,is not doing his job, really is true.
The next Liverpool manager(who cannot come quick enough!) has got to be someone who can instill respect/fear (not a lot of difference) in the workforce. It is a waste if time shouting at players who don't believe you will do anything, or more to the point can do anything. Allardyce has gone on the short contract route where players are unsure of the paypackets for next year but that backfires when you get the likes of JJ who knows he will get loads of offers. In the past we've had managers (post Paisley) who thought that they would just have to talk to their "mates" to get them to work harder-no chance.
I don't think that any player who was with them could refer to Shanks/Paisley/Clough/Ferguson/Revie etc, as their friend or mate. These fellas were and are bosses. No super qualifications ,no brilliant careers in the game, no sucking upto the chairmen just good man-managers who could spot a bullshitter a mile away AND get shut.
All those managers I've named are special types of men and the only one I can think of who forecast that an ex-player would be a great manager, in time,was Brian Clough. Who did he reccommend ? - Martin O'Neil !!!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:57 pm

Has to be Martin O'Neil for me. Cappello is a better a manager and would bring instant success, but i couldnt see him staying for long. With O'Neil we would have an excellent man manager who will give our players the kick up the a#se that they need. Hes had success at every club hes managed and very quickly turns his clubs around and stamps his authority on the club. I do have a problem with the football he plays but our coaches will help him with quality, plus hes never worked with the quality at a club like liverpool so he may employ more attractive tactics as well as a great work ethic. O'Neil makes his players give 110% every match and his teams have a great team spirit, things we are desperatly lacking at the moment.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:53 am

I heard a rumour that Chelsea are going off the idea of Coppello as he is making extorniate wage demands.

If Chelsea don't want to pay his wages what hope Liverpool?

All I know is that Roma are absolutely fcuked financially (they could be the new Leeds) and they are having a clear out of staff & players in the summer.

Coppello is at Roma a while now and he has been on the record to say that he wouldn't mind a job in England.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ade » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:37 pm

Good post JBG.

I like both Capello and O'Neill best, but I think it's important now for us to get a manager on the up, not one who may be 'tempted' by a new experience and final payday in a different league. Capello was magic for Milan in the 90s, but he also had some of the greatest players in the world to work with. That day was also the best part of a decade ago - I don't think any manager stays at the top for that long these days.

MON, on the other hand, is on his way up. He's ambitious, hard, driven, passionate and needs to prove himself on the bigger stage. He won't fancy the England job - no day-to-day involvement – I don't think he'd fancy taking over at Man Utd – who really wants to follow Fergie? As for Chelsea, the way they treated Ranieri – I don't think he'd fancy that. The challenge of turning us around is big enough, but the risk ain't so great - we've got the most patient fans in the league, we can still attract top players, we've still got some great players and the money is there. It's not the toughest act to follow either. He's just waiting for the call, I reckon - and GH knows it.

Not sure about John Robertson coming with him though. I think the No. 2 is a crucial appointment and I'd rather see someone with great technique and nous come in alongside as coach - Gary Mac would be an ideal partner. Didn't they work together before?

If we can't get MON, I'd go for Koeman. Young, hungry, ambitious, good pedigree, a winner, tons of top experience as a player – and winner on the biggest stage. Dutch adapt better than most to our game, good English, bring VdV and maybe Trabelsi with him, as Finnan's not the player some people think he is.

Mourinho's a good bet and I can't see any obvious faults in him - he could be the surprise package.

Strachan and Curbishley are very good mid-table club managers - they would keep us pretty much where we are now, and I think we'd strugle to attract class foriegn imports with them at the helm.

Ability AND appetite.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion