Cisse not worried

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:38 pm

I'm in charge, Benitez insists Nov 30 2005

By Paul Walker, Daily Post

RAFAEL BENITEZ has issued a thinly-veiled warning to players who show public disapproval of his decisions by saying: "I'm in charge here."

Although the Liverpool manager insists he has no problems with frustrated striker Djibril Cisse, who showed his dissatisfaction at being substituted at Manchester City on Saturday, you can be sure that he has made his position clear as he prepares for the trip to play Premiership strugglers Sunderland.

And Benitez insisted that Peter Crouch, who could actually reach 24 hours of football without a goal if he fails to net at the Stadium of Light, is a key player in his plans.

Cisse, Crouch and Harry Kewell will all be in the squad on Wearside and competing for roles up front.

Benitez said: "I understand a player being disappointed if I decide to change him. But I am only trying to do the best for our team. Harry Kewell came on and played well.

"If you decide to use a different player it is only because you feel it will be better for the team. Everybody needs to understand that.

"I have explained to Djibril why I made the change and he understands.

"He is training okay and I do not have problems with him. I must make decisions because I am the manager.

"I decide who is the best player for each game, and sometimes I need to change a player during a match. I decide."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:05 pm

With Zenden's injury it looks likely that Simao will be here in January. Benfica realise now that Raffa won't go near to the £12million they were asking but he may save face by paying over the odds for Jerzey who Koeman was talking about this week on Dutch TV as "the kind of keeper they need". Marseille are the main team showing interest in Cisse and between the two deals we may break even leaving the funds available to be spent on a CB and another striker. I still think that Mori willbe used in the striker deal so start looking at the available La Liga players.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:18 pm

He'll be gone come the end of the season if not in January without a doubt.

If anyone thinks Rafa feels under pressure to play a particular signing because of how much he paid for him, they are sorely, sorely mistaken. He's such an incredibly pragmatic man who looks only at the way we play that it just wouldn't come into his thinking. Claims of favouritism are nonsense. This is a man who didn't start Gerrard in a very difficult away game in Spain against Betis. He just does what he thinks is best for the team. Cisse has started in game where Rafa feels he needs to make sure the oppositions defence has to sit deep, so that we force sides back or hopefully exploit the gap between the defence and midfield. Cisse plays wide when Rafa believes we can exploit the space in behind a full back. UNfortunately Cisse does neither especially well.

Unfortunately, Cisse seems utterly incapable of playing to his managers instructions, is clueless when he has to think about what to do and is clearly not an intelligent footballer. When your manager places great emphasis on controlling the game and understanding your team-mates' game and you can't really do it, you're out.

It's not about Cisse v Crouch v Morientes. It's about finding the right solution for the right game. Personally I'm not totally convinced with Morientes yet, Crouch needs goals and Cisse, I'm afraid simply doesn't offer enough for the team. I'm not especially bothered about him going, I've had enough of his petulance and his laziness and I don't think he's the right man for Liverpool as there are other players out there who will offer more (anyone else think Ellington, Roberts and Harewood have offered more to their respective team that Cisse has for us? Not that we should sign any of them!).

Rafa just has to ensure that whoever comes to replace Cisse fits better within the plans and waying of playing he wants. Whether he's CL cuptied or not is largely irrelevant as was proved with the signing of Morientes last year.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:06 am

Agreed, St. Mick.

Cisse should return to the mickey mouse league where he can score bucket loads by just outpacing fragile defenders and do nothing else if he does not want to knuckel down to Liverpool's work ethics under Rafa.

Look at other strikers who play for teams with much less quality yet they put on a lot of effort for their respective teams. Crouch hasn't scored but look at the effort he puts in every time and also his effectiveness in providing chances to his colleagues.

I wouldn't worry about losing Cisse, I would be more interested in the replacements and alternatives we may be able to bring in and strengthen the team. Rafa Benitez is as stubborn as he is pragmatic, and will stick to his ideas. Remember the zonal marking and the 4-5-1 playing system? He stuck to his guns no matter, and only does changes as he thinks fit.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:15 am

When will all the "We need Andy Johnson" people start saying we should sign Ellington, Roberts or Harewood? No disrespect intended - just wondered that's all.

I actually rate them all - as St Mick says thay have been pivotal in their teams performance this season.

Do any of them have the raw ability to play for any of the big clubs though - that's the question. Maybe the subject for another discussion though.
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion