Five-live, greatest team of all debate. - They're trying to push manure!

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby greenred » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:36 am

Dalglish wrote:Through gritted teeth you have to consider the 1999 United side. Its true to say they scrawped the final but they were the best team in Europe that season and to win the title , FA Cup and European in one season is remarkable.

United wouldnt have qualified for that Euro cup under the old rules as they didnt win the Championship the previous season,just like us last year.I wonder how many more Euros we would have won if we`d played it every season in the seventies,eighties and nineties?I agree with you though,that Utd team was a bit special.Not as good as 68` though.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:33 am

Dalglish wrote:With these type of surveys I think they need to define a certain category. It's too broad to survey in all honesty.

English CLUB team would have a few candidates. LFC obviously (choose from the 77, 78,84,87 sides and Arsenal for their unbeaten season 2003/04.

Co-oncidentally Liverpool and Arsenal are the only two current Prem sides teams to win the Title three seasons on the bounce (Huddersfield did it as well in the 20's).

Through gritted teeth you have to consider the 1999 United side. Its true to say they scrawped the final but they were the best team in Europe that season and to win the title , FA Cup and European in one season is remarkable.

Internationally I'd go for Brazil 1970 side, simply incredible ability, flair and skillful beyond compare .

so wrong mate!

Manu in 1999 were only 1 point better than Arsenal after 38 games so if they were the greatest team ever then ARsenal must be number 2 (especially when you remember if Berkamp had scored his last minute penalty they'd have knocked them out of the FA cup too,)

Munich were the better team in the final too.

Manu were extremely lucky throughout the season and came close to winning nothing. A team that didn't dominate any tournament is the greatest ever :Oo:

As for Arsenal in 2003/04. Winning one domestic trophy , never retaining it and making no impact in Europe - the greatest team ever???

Think outside the last few years of English football for christ sake. :angry:
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:53 am

Im not so sure about these modern day teams beating the Lfc of the 80s. Its ok saying the game is now faster and more physical more tactical etc -but theres :censored: all they could do if they never get the ball :;):
Man u are definately the most lucky TEAM ive ever seen.
  When we look at how we judge greatness it is so unfortunate we never got a chance to see  the Barnes,Beardsley team play in europe :down:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:13 am

Big Niall wrote:
Mikz wrote:I agree Ac Milan where unbelieveable in that period. Masterclass -The real madrid 5-0 thrashing ,even the toughest opposition looked totally clueless against them. The greatest English team was Liverpool 77-84-no doubt about it.

The best that I've seen is that AC Milan team. Howver Real Madrid of the 1950s, Ajax and Bayarn Munich of the 1970s must also be noted (3 ECs in a row- each).

I agree that there wasn't really an LFC team that won 4 ECs (Phil Neal apart -was there anyone else).

Also, what great South American teams have there been? was it always a weaker place for club football? I don't know.

INternationally the Brazil 1970 team or you could argue Brazil 1958-1970 or 1962-1970(if you feel that the 1958 boys were gone by 1970, bar Pele)

Italy retained it in 1934 so they must warrant a mention too. Even Germany 1982-1990 - 3 finals in a row.

Modern day teams would beat the older teams,even lfc in 1980s wouldn't challenge todays top teams but greatness is in your time for the standards of the day.

:laugh:
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion