4x4 driving

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:01 pm

Well seen as this is a general chat forum i just thought id share this with you.
Me and my girlfriend drove a massive 3000km last week from Brisbane to Bamaga (which is at the tip of cape york).
Being an Englishman the drive knakered me but the fun part started 144kms north of Cairns.Off road ,one track cuts through barren land ,scrub and rain forest about a 1000kms.I tell you i have never felt so isolated in all my life ,by the driving conditions were fun .

All apart from massive corrigation in the track, the water crossings and the driving on sand put a whole new experiance on driving a vehicle.
Obviously the water crossings were the most nerve racking but exciting at the same time .You wouldnt believe what the fourby can do in them conditions.You basically just have to lock the front wheels in four wheel drive slip the gears into lowrange and drive straight through that water.Keeping a consistent speed through the water and selecting the right gear throughout is a must because you are not supposed to change gear while in the water,you could be stranded there and in croc territory thats a big no no.But  the buzz you get once you get to the other side is something else.Well for me it was ,i would say the deepest crossing was about 80cms deep it might not sound alot but when you see that water splashing over the bonnet and up at your window it can be quite nerve racking. Im just learnig all this so its new to me but it was a fascinating drive all that way up.Driving through sand is cool aswell for those of you have never expirianced driving on soft sand i suppose its nearly the same as driving on ice with the wheels sliding all over the place .
If you have never driven on ice i wouldnt really know how to explain it.
But to get better traction in soft sand you are supposed to let all four tyres down to about 20 psi or maybe even less.I didnt hense the sliding of the vehicle,but i did run the risk of getting bogged.

The scenery was spectacular the different kinds of animals we saw all these tropical birds ,Kangeroos ,bush pigs ,bulls and snakes .We didnt see any crocs though.
All in all it  took us five days to do the drive at a nice steady place stopping off a different places like Kurranda which have these spectacular gorges and Port Douglas which is nice on the eye also.
Hope i havent bored you with this and if you have any questions i will be happy to answer them with the best of my ability.

But take it from me four wheel driving is FUN.
66-1112520797

Return to General Chat Forum