Aussie coach gets the chop

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby laza » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:31 am

Any of my fellow OZers got an opinion on this, personally thought he should have got the chop some time ago. Seems rather bizarre to be sacking him just a few months before WC qualfiers though.
God i hope we dont get Hoddle as the new coach , i throw a wheelchair at him 
:D

Soccerroos boss Farina quits job

Frank Farina has left his post as Australia coach.
The Australian federation announced today they had 'mutually agreed to end their association' with Farina, bringing an end to his six-year spell in charge of the Socceroos.

The 40-year-old said: 'Ever increasing speculation on my position is not something that I want to see affect the performance of the team and the potential for that happening has led to this announcement.

'We have the players and the backing to get us to the World Cup and no single element of our approach should be allowed to undermine that.'

Australia lost all three of their games in the recent Confederations Cup in Germany, including a shock 2-0 defeat to Tunisia.

They will play an international against Colombia in August in London ahead of World Cup qualifiers against the Solomon Islands in September. They then play Jamaica in London in October before the final World Cup qualifying hurdle - a home-and-away series against the fifth-ranked South American nation.

Federation chairman Frank Lowy said: 'Frank Farina has been a dedicated coach over the past six years who has given his all for Australian football and we wish him well with his future endeavours.

'However, it is important to now move on and focus on the World Cup campaign; our responsibility is to do everything possible to ensure that Australia will be competing in Germany in 2006.

'We have said that we would be leaving no stone unturned to qualify for the World Cup.'

Technical manager Ron Smith will take over as caretaker coach.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:21 am

Yes Farina is gone. That's a shame IMO, but at least he did it on his terms and his reasons are sound. but please please get a decent new coach. I would support NZ if they got Hoddle, that idiot. :p

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:34 pm

Poor time to do it, I don't think that a new caoch can come in and get Australia into the world cup in the space of 4 or 5 months. He will have about 2 or 3 games before the South American qualifiers to look at palyers and decide on tactics etc, it's just not enough time. The squad and tactics will be pretty similar to what Farina has used as their isn't enough time to initiate any major changes.

TBH, they probably would have better chance if they kept Frank. Although this may help in the long term, Australia is going to have to prepare to miss out on yet another world cup I think. How Australia will possibly win in South Amercia against a team like Uruguay or Colombia is beyond me.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:09 am

Who knows maybe the admins  think the old adage of sacking the coach usually means the players lift in their next game. So its a cunning ploy to finally get us past the 5th placed South Americans  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion