Montella - New roma coach

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Vincenzo Montella has been appointed as Roma's new coach after the club accepted the resignation of Claudio Ranieri.

Montella, 36, has now taken the reins at the Stadio Olimpico, having spent 10 years with the club, scoring 118 goals in 267 Serie A games before retiring from the game in the summer of 2009 and joining Roma's backroom staff as a youth coach. The former Italy international also played for Empoli, Genoa, Sampdoria and Fulham.

"A.S Roma have, today, given first team duties to Mr Vincenzo Montella until the end of the current season,'' read a statement. "We are certain he will be able to put the team's quality together with his professionalism, dedication, enthusiasm and experience."

Ranieri quit the club on Sunday night following Roma's capitulation at Genoa. They led 3-0 six minutes after the interval but went on to lose 4-3 and the club wasted little time in accepting his resignation.

''AS Roma announces it received yesterday evening the resignation of Mr Claudio Ranieri as coach of the first team,'' the club added in a seperate statement. ''Following this move, the financial contract with Ranieri, whose deal was coming to an end on June 30, 2011, has ended by mutual consent. Roma wishes to thank Claudio Ranieri for the professionalism shown and the work done.''

The Genoa result came on the back of a 3-2 defeat at home to Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League, which leaves them needing to win and score at least twice in Ukraine to make it to the quarter-finals.

Roma have lost four games in a row - with further defeats to scudetto challengers Napoli and Inter Milan - and last won a match on Jan 27 when they won 2-0 at Juventus in the Coppa Italia, which had then completed a run of four consecutive wins.

But the latest dip in form has left Roma's hopes of qualifying for next year's Champions League in tatters as they sit nine points behind fourth-placed Lazio with a game in hand.

Recent reports suggested Ranieri had fallen out with key players amid Roma's lengthy slide, which has left them down in eighth place. Defensive problems have been the key to the Roma collapse this season as they have conceded 11 goals in their last three games, including a 5-3 defeat to Inter.

Ranieri said on Sunday night: "I've always thought about the good of Roma and after a game such as today's I believe it's right to give a signal. After the final whistle I went into the changing rooms to thank the team and I decided to hand in my resignation.

"Today we began with the desire to fight for the victory for all those who love this shirt and this city. Every minute of my day is dedicated to Roma and I've always said that for me a defeat is especially painful. But seeing my lads fighting to the end and losing shook me to the core.

"I want to thank all the fans and the president [Rosella] Sensi. Together, despite the difficulties, we did a great job last year and this year.

"I am and always will be a man of the pitch and after a game such as today's I believe it's right to give a signal for the love of these colours and I hope that my decision will help spur on the team. Sport and football have values that for me and for those work hard and with passion are life itself."

Having managed 10 clubs in Italy, Spain, and England, Ranieri returned to his spiritual home - his childhood club and where he began his playing career - in September 2009 and quickly improved their performances.

They got themselves back into the title race and eventually finished only two points behind Jose Mourinho's Inter last season. Hopes were high that Roma could challenge this season with Mourinho gone, but things have rarely gone right for Ranieri second time around.
----

wow! didn't see this one coming. apart from Fowler, Montella was the other striker i really enjoyed watched. especially in his Sampdoria days. would be interesting to see how he fares.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby metalhead » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Roma are in big trouble
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:36 pm

I can see this being merged with the Serie A thread but for my two cents I thought the guy was a superb player back in the day and his partnerships for Roma with Delvecchio and Totti were both top class. I have no idea what sort of experience the guy has as a coach though and I think Roma need someone to come in and instill a bit of discipline which with the respect the man will have at that club Im sure he'll be able to do.

When did he play for Fulhum?
burjennio

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:42 pm

2007 i think. but im kinda shocked as i was expecting them to replace CR with someone who has had experience. it's always safer anyway considering how they want results.

hypothetically, what if someday Carragher were to take over us as his first managerial position? what would the reaction be?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Alex88 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:10 pm

ahhahah montella :D
Alex88

Postby burjennio » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:19 pm

I think Pep Guardolia has put the "not enough experience" hoodoo to bed once and for all since he took over at Barca tbh. He took a side that was always associated with a beautiful passing game and added a level of grit and a hard working ethic to it that I think most people would agree has taken Barca to number one side in the world. With Carra I think it'd be hard to transition straight into the managerial position from retirement but if he was to shadow Kenny or whoever else is at the helm when he hangs up the boots Im sure he would get a real insight. To hark back to Guardolia again he spent a few seasons behind the scenes at Barca before taking over the "B" side and moulding the players to fit his football philosophy - and subsequently brought through a few players with him when he took the top job in Pedro and Busquets that were already comfotable with the style. Ive seen Carra a few times on Sky as a pundit and he does talk about the game is a very tactical way, alot more so than anyone else that they have on, so I would say he's already knowledgable in that aspect of the game. He did play under Houllier and Benitez who were both methodical in their approach to the game so its not that suprising that Carra has picked up alot from those two in that respect. Hopefully Kenny canintroduce him to a bit of pass 'n move so he doesnt forget about the most important thing in football - ENTERTAINMENT!
burjennio

Postby metalhead » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:03 pm

burjennio wrote:I think Pep Guardolia has put the "not enough experience" hoodoo to bed once and for all since he took over at Barca tbh. He took a side that was always associated with a beautiful passing game and added a level of grit and a hard working ethic to it that I think most people would agree has taken Barca to number one side in the world. With Carra I think it'd be hard to transition straight into the managerial position from retirement but if he was to shadow Kenny or whoever else is at the helm when he hangs up the boots Im sure he would get a real insight. To hark back to Guardolia again he spent a few seasons behind the scenes at Barca before taking over the "B" side and moulding the players to fit his football philosophy - and subsequently brought through a few players with him when he took the top job in Pedro and Busquets that were already comfotable with the style. Ive seen Carra a few times on Sky as a pundit and he does talk about the game is a very tactical way, alot more so than anyone else that they have on, so I would say he's already knowledgable in that aspect of the game. He did play under Houllier and Benitez who were both methodical in their approach to the game so its not that suprising that Carra has picked up alot from those two in that respect. Hopefully Kenny canintroduce him to a bit of pass 'n move so he doesnt forget about the most important thing in football - ENTERTAINMENT!

Pepe Guardiola took over a legacy and a team that was part of a long term project , just like Bob Paisley did.

Roma needs someone who has the experience to get them out of trouble.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:27 pm

You could be right in the comparisons with Paisley MH but for me Guardiola took over Barca and took them to another level. Like I previously said Barca were always known for their "pass the opposition to death" style of play but Pep redefined that with the addition of the high pressing style and work ethic that his team currently employs so well. In Rijkaards last season Barca looked lazy and uninspired, Guardiola came in, reignited the passion of the squad and won the treble.
burjennio

Postby metalhead » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 pm

I would agree that Pepe is a very good coach and his a very nice footballing philosophy, but most of the players he inherited also won the treble a few years back when Riikjard was in charge. I'll agree that in a sense that the style of play under Guardiola has changed.

You know what though, I was reading this piece on Barca being too one dimensional and boring on Football365 :glare:  I just wanted to comment on his article and say what a bitter and jealous little man he is.

Barca one dimensional :no

got the link here

Sorry, but Barca Bore me to Death
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:37 pm

They are probably worse off now with Montella. :laugh: They should have waited till after the take over at least, let things calm down.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:08 am

holy sh*t bav when did you change to tubby? :laugh:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tomjay » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:15 pm

i agree they should have waited..
tomjay

Postby Greavesie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:55 pm

metalhead wrote:holy sh*t bav when did you change to tubby? :laugh:

he's always been tubby what you on about?  :p
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion