Radio 5: mark lawrenson: liverpol weak

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby H_K_LFC » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:48 pm

Soon theyll be a flood of players coming into anfield :D
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:01 pm

who 

OHNO!!! we missed out on the signings of Steve Stone and Teddy Sheringham!!!  :D

there haven't been any BIG signings from anywhere yet...Arsenal spent 10million on a midfielder...but noone who we want has moved so i'm confident Rafa has the players he wants already lined up.  If Chelski spend 20 million ( :laugh: ) on SWP then i'd like us to go in for the likes of Duff....they have more wingers than they need and 1 will go and if it's true, that Duff and Moreen have fallen out, i'd like to see im here.

the only 'if' is Gerrard....but i''m pretty sure the latest rumour is coming from the fact that Liverpool are sick of saying "gerrard is not for Sale"
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:06 pm

Don't see why people are getting annoyed here, its nothing new.  Lawrenson is a cu.nt, plain and simple.  He has shown in the last few years that he no longer has any real affinity for the club.

And as for him being a legend??  To be a legend that means you have to have respect.  I no longer have any for him

And I'd love to know who these great players we are missing out on are??
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:13 pm

I suppose we left it late with Xabi and Luis, too!!!!! :;): :p

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:26 pm

ffs the transfer window just opened today...truly truly the silly season
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:47 pm

notice Lawrenson never mentions his disasterous coaching spell at Newcastle when he, and Keegan, blew a 13 point lead (witha game in hand) in the Premiership.....amazing really, because he seems to know EVERYTHING you'd of thought he would have WON EVERYTHING as a coach....
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:47 pm

I don't see how we "left it late" as the transfer window doesn't close until the 30th of August. There is of course the qualifiers deadline however a squad that has won the Champions League shouldn't have any problems going through the first two rounds of qualifying rounds. The only reason he would be worried if he seriously believes that we won't make it through the first two rounds, or even the 3rd round for that matter.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:19 pm

To be honest it is quite disgraceful that Liverpool fans (nevermind people) are insulting Mark Lawrenson. You may not agree with what he has to say, but that doesn't mean to say you should start insulting an ex-Liverpool player like Lawrenson and like it or not, Mark is now a pundit and not a Liverpool supporter when he writes articles or is on television and you can understand his concerns. I mean signing players very late into Pre-Season is bad, because it gives them less time to settle in on and off the pitch, so I share some of his worries. I also agree that this Steven Gerrard non-sense should have been dealt with shortly after the Champions League and not two weeks befroe our first competitive game.

However I don't always agree with what Mark Lawro says, but here is a man that was arguably one of the best centre backs to pull on that red jersy and some mindless idiots feel the need to insult him because they don't agree with them, very immature I must say.
48-1119859832

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:05 pm

0asis wrote:you can understand his concerns. I mean signing players very late into Pre-Season is bad, because it gives them less time to settle in on and off the pitch, so I share some of his worries. I also agree that this Steven Gerrard non-sense should have been dealt with shortly after the Champions League and not two weeks befroe our first competitive game.

Signing players late into pre-season is bad??  Most teams aren't even back in pre-season yet FFS, its early yet.  And how is it bad??  You avoid playing players' wages for a couple of months when they're not even playing for you anyway, seems sensible to me.  The scum chelski and arsenal have only signed 1 player each to my knowledge, so are they 'leaving it late' too??  Christ, the transfer window has only just opened and people are worried we've not signed anyone.

And how could the 'Gerrard nonsense' have been sorted out sooner?  He's hardly gonna walk straight into negotiations after a long hard season, give the lad a chance to get pis.sed for a few weeks and relax.  Plus his agent was on holiday at the time anyway, and then Parry was on holiday.

Now is the right time to start the gerrard negotiations IMO and it is the right time to start signing players, I wish people (Lawro included) would have a bit of patience.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:36 pm

0asis wrote:To be honest it is quite disgraceful that Liverpool fans (nevermind people) are insulting Mark Lawrenson. You may not agree with what he has to say, but that doesn't mean to say you should start insulting an ex-Liverpool player like Lawrenson and like it or not, Mark is now a pundit and not a Liverpool supporter when he writes articles or is on television and you can understand his concerns. I mean signing players very late into Pre-Season is bad, because it gives them less time to settle in on and off the pitch, so I share some of his worries. I also agree that this Steven Gerrard non-sense should have been dealt with shortly after the Champions League and not two weeks befroe our first competitive game.

However I don't always agree with what Mark Lawro says, but here is a man that was arguably one of the best centre backs to pull on that red jersy and some mindless idiots feel the need to insult him because they don't agree with them, very immature I must say.

I agree up to a point but after that I diagree entirely.

Lawernson is now a pundit/psuedo journalist, and of course he has to be objective and calls things as he sees it, but he has made a name for himself of constantly singling us out for criticism and there has been times since late 2003 that Lawernson appears to be enjoying it.

Its a pity, because he was such a great player for us.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 2520years » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:26 pm

0asis wrote:To be honest it is quite disgraceful that Liverpool fans (nevermind people) are insulting Mark Lawrenson. You may not agree with what he has to say, but that doesn't mean to say you should start insulting an ex-Liverpool player like Lawrenson and like it or not, Mark is now a pundit and not a Liverpool supporter when he writes articles or is on television and you can understand his concerns. I mean signing players very late into Pre-Season is bad, because it gives them less time to settle in on and off the pitch, so I share some of his worries. I also agree that this Steven Gerrard non-sense should have been dealt with shortly after the Champions League and not two weeks befroe our first competitive game.

If he doesn't claim to be a Liverpool supporter why does he sometimes refer to Liverpool as 'we'?

He was an excellent defender for us alongside, IMO, one of our greatest ever players in Alan Hansen.  But if virtually everything he says about Liverpool now is negative, which it is, then he's got to accept that many Liverpool fans will hate his guts.

I think he's like an ex-girlfriend who keeps slagging you off in public.  Yes, you used to think the world of him, but not any more.

:veryangry
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby 65-1114725958 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:27 am

the thing is, When lawro says he is worried, he probably means in terms of winning the championship. which is unlikely.

If we are going to go for a top player, its unlikely to succeed, as chelsea and Man Utd will beat us to it, or any teams from abroad.

My guess is that Rafa will buy outfield spanish players that he knows well and can get on the cheap.

I doubt there will be any "surprises"  !
65-1114725958

Postby skipper » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:36 am

Come on guys, we missed out on the BIGGEST signing of the century.  Kezman went to Atletico Madrid.

DARN IT!!!!!!!!!!! we should have gotten him.

NOT! 

There havent been any big signings so far, and chelsea is wasting their time with eto'o and shevchenko.  We take our time and we might get great players even 1 or 2 weeks from now.  so dont worry.  In the next few weeks, if kuyt, milito, zenden, and stelios dont come, and reina loses interest, then hit the panic button.  :help
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:48 am

The_Rock wrote:
lakes10 wrote:We have left it so late that the best players have been snaped up

who ???

:p

KEVIN BEATTIE !!!   :D   :D
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:08 pm

KEVIN BEATTIE !!!       

I don't think there are enough Chip shops around Anfield for that lad  :D
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion