Are we only playing in the european league.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:57 pm

A.B. wrote:If Gerrard is disgusted with us finishing fourth then I'm disgusted when he goes missing in games like the one yesterday.

He can't play well just when he feels like it, he's far more capable than what he showed against Man City, he missed a clear chance which I can understand sometimes but his perfomance as a LFC player and captain was poor.

Its not a matter of Gerrard only playing when he feels like it.  The bigger the game the better Gerrard is usually, thats just the way he is and the same goes for a lot of top players.

Its frustrating when he plays like he did yesterday but he is only human and will have bad games.  It has to be mentally draining for him to carry the team as much as he has for the last 2 seasons and I can understand if he is unable to do this every week.  P1sses me off as much as anyone but thats the way it is, we're too reliant on Gerrard to inspire the team and we need others to take more responsibility like Carragher has this season.

I thought the home performance against leverkusen without gerrard was encouraging as other players stepped up on the night and took more responsibility, but they haven't pushed on and maintained this.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:30 am

we're too reliant on Gerrard to inspire the team

He's the bloody captain, thats his job as a captain. Inspire the team.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:39 am

If you look at all the other teams in the 1/4 finals, we are in the lowest position in our own league.

Lyon - 1st
PSV - 1st
AC Milan - 1st
Juventus - 2nd
Inter - 3rd
Bayern Munich - 1st
Chelsea - 1st

makes interesting reading, and we really are an exception, being so far behind the top 3 in our own league.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:52 am

In my opinion, the foreign players such as Garcia and Baros do fancy playing against Italian/German (less physical contact) style more than the Premiership. If you can remember, in the Juve game last week, both of this players were outstanding and made many successful attempts to get pass Juve defenders (Baros got us many corners!). This may be one main reason why we are excelling in the Champions League and not the Premiership.

Then again, if you look at all the games we played in the CL, we were not that extremely outstanding either.
(A) Graz AK 0:2 Liverpool
(H) Liverpool 0:1 Graz AK
(H) Liverpool 2:0 Monaco
(A) Olympiakos 1:0 Liverpool
(H) Liverpool 0:0 Deportivo
(A) Deportivo 0:1 Liverpool
(A) Monaco 1:0 Liverpool
(H) Liverpool 3:1 Olympiakos
(H) Liverpool 3:1 Leverkusen
(A) Leverkusen 1:3 Liverpool
(H) Liverpool 2:1 Juventus

Home: P6 W4 D1 L1
Away: P5 W3 D0 L2
Total: P11 W7 D1 L3

Yes, its better than our Premiership record, but not that outstanding after all.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:50 pm

Perhaps or is that we have too many players who are inconsistant thus making the team overall inconsistant.

you've hit the nail on the head. This season Rafa has discovered that our squad has 3-4 players who will perform 1 in 3 games...sadly there isn't much he can do about it now and will make big changes in the summer...personally i think Hypia, Baros, Biscan, Smicer +3/4 more will leave
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:52 pm

A.B. wrote:
we're too reliant on Gerrard to inspire the team

He's the bloody captain, thats his job as a captain. Inspire the team.

Now you're talking cr@p AB.

Its his job to try his best to inspire the team every week which is what he has done pretty well.

You can't expect him to do that every single week, and I'd be surprised if you could name me one captain that has done that in the prem this year.

Look at Chelsea, although Terry has been superb, others such as Lampard, Duff and Robben have turned draws into victories this season as they have ground out results.  They do not look to their captain and expect as much from him as you seem to do with Gerrard.  Speak sense
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion