Uefa cup versus champions league - Are we tired of playing in the uefa cup?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:38 pm

Have you ever felt that when you watch a film more than once, even the ones you are particularly fond of, that it loses its passaz? Similarly, since the formation of the Champions League in becoming the most prestigous tournament in Europe it has overshadowed the UEFA Cup and made it lose it's passaz. On this basis, as much as I love watching Liverpool, I loathe seeing them play in the UEFA Cup. I'm not being big-headed on behalf of the side - I am merely stating a fact that, the club is too big for the UEFA Cup. WE NEED CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL HOULLIER - I know that you realise this, but make sure you deliver, instead of saying "I will try to provide it". Trying is not good enough. Shankly was not someone who tried - he delievered!!!!! :D
"People Say football is a matter of life and death" , " I believe it is much more important than that", Bill Shankly.
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:46 pm

your right,the uefa cup gives bad managers like houllier the excuse that at least he qualified for europe.Without the uefa cup houlliers position would look even worse.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:35 pm

The UEFA Cup reminds me more and more of the Carling Cup these days.

It has decreased in value so much in the last ten years....in the early 1990s it was an extremely prestigious cup to win. The Cup Winners Cup used to be the poor man's cup.

People used to say that only the strong leagues could win the UEFA Cup, and that explains why the Italians won it so many times in the 1990s.

It has gone down hill, although at least in 2001 we beat Porto, Olympiakos, Barcelona and Roma on the way to winning it.

Since then the quality of opposition has decreased even further....aside from martin O' Neill's abilities, how else can you explain Celtic getting to the final last year?

No, its not a cup for Liverpool to be competing in, although I'd prefer to be competing in the UEFA Cup rather than have no European football at all.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Bring Dalglish back » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:41 pm

Well said JBG. My girlfriend is Portuguese and I went to Porto's ground (last seasons UEFA Cup winners) and they haven't even got a decent ticket office for heaven's sake. That say's it all about the teams playing in that competition and they were the winners.
"People Say football is a matter of life and death" , " I believe it is much more important than that", Bill Shankly.
Bring Dalglish back
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leothelion » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:51 am

definetly would prefer champions league but have to agree would rather be in UEFA than no europe its great to travel to see some of these games even though its tru liverpool do noy belong in that cup they should be in the champions league year after year
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1065305004 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:54 am

erm do I like LFC being in UEFA cup hmmmmmmmmmmm.........................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................nope :(
116-1065305004

Postby Cleman » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:00 am

the teams ranked in 3rd place in Champion League Group Stage Competition will be playing in UEFA Cup.....this clearly shows that UEFA Cup is the 2nd Class Competition in Europe...

Liverpool is now the 2nd Class Football Club in Europe and perhaps in England as well, sadly to say this.......but this is the fact...as Liverpool is managed by a 2nd Clas coach...
Cleman

Postby Owzat » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:23 am

I really don't care too much for any European competition at the moment. We need to concentrate on getting our league form sorted and winning the Premiership. Once we are a major domestic force, then we should worry about the Champions League. The fact that we are in the UEFA Cup shows we're not a top three/four league side which highlights my point. It is a farce really that so many teams want to be in the Champions League when they don't have a realistic chance of winning it, don't see the point myself
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:47 pm

The UEFA cup has no credibilty in my books. The Champions League is the only place to be.

But Houllier has no option but to take it seriously because of the extra revenue it brings in.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion