Cl draw

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:18 am

I don't think Chelsea will beat Barca. While Chelsea are good, Barca's attacking midfielders can really cause trouble to any defenders, especially Ronaldinho.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:46 am

Mourinho is very tactically astute and will know all about Deco, it's a toos of a coin for me, Barca probably slight favourites, but Chelsea have the defence that is needed to win the European Cup.

predictions for last 8:

Bayern
Barca
Juventus
AC Milan
Liverpool
Monaco
Inter
Werder Bremen

wouldn't it be great if we were the last English team left. :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:50 am

A.B. wrote:I don't think Chelsea will beat Barca. While Chelsea are good, Barca's attacking midfielders can really cause trouble to any defenders, especially Ronaldinho.

true A.B, but with Robben and Duff coming down the wing, they will make life difficult for Barca's defence - the difference could be that the likes of Deco, Xavi and ronaldinho have too mcuh flair and class for Lampard and Makelele and with a class striker like Eto'o, Chelsea can be troubled definsively, Henry recently for example. 

Baca just have that added flair and bit of class with the likes of Ronaldinho that win games like this.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:54 am

Whatever outcoem of the Chelsea-Barca tie, our midfielders and defenders must close down Leverkusen's long range shooters otherwise Kirkland will be "unsighted" yet again and let in an avoidable goal...

Not every opposition is like Olympiakos who crumble under unrelenting pressure. This German team is very hardworking. I worry about either of our 'keepers because they are simply inadequate.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:00 am

fleverkusen for me have been the most impressive German side in Europe, with a lot expereinced players in the form of Ramelow, Nowotny and Bernd Schneider - add to that some good players like Berbatov and Franca up front they will be very tough, epsecially at the BayArena where their from is formidable in Europe (3-0 agiant Real Madrid anyone).

It was a favourable draw for us no question, but Leverkusen finished top of their group for a reason.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:07 am

Franca, yes, I think this is the Brazillian with the Falcao-esque hairstyle and played very well against Real Madrid.

I worry about Hyppia giving away a free kick (like he does a lot this season) in a similar position as was the case against Olympiakos. Kirkland has a fair chance of getting beaten again...the strikers remain goal-shy.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:22 am

yes that is Franca.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:31 am

Paolo Roberto Falcao was one of the highlights of the 1982 World Cup. I believe that was one of the most beautiful Brazil teams ever but they were undone by their failure to effectively mark Paolo Rossi in that famous quarter-final in which Rossi scored a hat-trick to lead Italy to a 3-2 win over Brazil.

In the 1984 European Cup final between Roma-Liverpool, he had a bruising encounter with Ronnie Whelan and I remember they kept fouling each other in turns but Whelan managed to gain the upper hand as Falcao did not have one of his best games.

Let's hope Franca will have a similar 2 legged fate against Liverpool some 21 years on.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion