Cl draw

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:44 pm

hopefully hamann stays on this time  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:31 pm

the more and more i look at the draw the more i am leaning towards the fact that we could possibly the only english team in the quarter finals.

i look at arsenal and to me they still have everything to prove, especially in europe. bayern, after one poor season, are back at the top of the bundesliga and are always very strong at home.

milan are unbelievably strong and although manure can beat anyone on their day i think milan's superior defence will see them through over two legs. they also boast the european footballer of the year upfront.

chelsea are 50/50 to go through. that tie is too close to call.
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:33 pm

I agree StM. Arsenal are inconistent in Europe and like you pointed out Bayern Munich are in good form. AC Milan can defend all game and you give them one chance and they will score. Man Utd are complaining about their players being tired,etc....

While Chelsea are impressive so is Barca.
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:33 pm

stmichael wrote:the more and more i look at the draw the more i am leaning towards the fact that we could poosibly the only english team in the quarter finals.

i look at arsenal and to me they still have everything to prove, especially in europe. bayern, after one poor season, are back at the top of the bundesliga and are always very strong at home.

milan are unbelievably strong and although manure can beat anyone on their day i think milan's superior defence will see them through over two legs. they also boast the european footballer of the year upfront.

chelsea are 50/50 to go through. that tie is too close to call.

Manure will surely be out...... They can't win against milan. Ferguson shoot himself in the foot by playing a reserve team in the final group match. What a moron  :p
Last edited by The_Rock on Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:34 pm

StM. I got you mistaken for JBG because both of you have ridiculous avatars
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:44 pm

i've just thought. if we can't beat a team with ROQUE JUNIOR at the heart of the defence then we don't deserve to go through. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:47 pm

How much money will the team get if they progress to the quarter finals ?
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:04 pm

http://www.liverpool-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=193873

Rafa happy with draw

Rafael Benitez is glad that Liverpool have avoided the Italian teams in the draw for the knockout stages of the Champions League.

Although prior to the draw Benitez said he was not bothered who Liverpool faced next, since the Reds were paired with Leverkusen the Reds boss has confessed he was glad to avoid the three Italian clubs.

"They are a good team but it's not the worst draw we could have had," said Benitez. "Perhaps playing against one of the Italian teams would have been more difficult.

"The only thing is that the first leg is at home, I prefer to play the away game first. But I definitely think playing a team from Germany is better than playing a team from Italy.

"The game is not for another month and a half and by then we should be playing better."
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:20 pm

azriahmad wrote:If we get AC Milan, we will almost certainly not progress.

Why am I so pessimistic? We can't score against Everton despite creating chances asb AC Milan is known to have such a miserly defence and a master goal-poacher in Schevchenko. They only need to score once and will shut down the game. In Kaka, they have a player who can score with a thunderous shot. We all know that our 'keepers have butterfingers, especially Dudek!

If only we get another favour from Berlusconi to force Ancelotti to play with 3 strikers ("My Milan does not play with a lone striker, we need to win every match with style") like in the game against Porto where they went ahead to lose 4-0 away...

That was Deportivo  :)
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mrcool2003 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:11 pm

milan is a good team but 2 b honest, the group they were in wasn't the hardest to be fair, i think man utd could beat milan if they can defend well and score away

chelsea i think will beat barcelona

arsenal, well 50/50 i think, will be tough

but dont forget leverkusen beat real madrid 3-0 in the group stage so i mean its not gonna be easy, we play like we did against olympiakios in the 1st half we will be punished, we need 2 excellent performances to go through and if we do, it will be fantastic for us, im confident we will
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:14 pm

.. grt draw for us.. cud well be the only ones from England in the 1/4 finals.. imagine that :) ..

BTW see Parry's smirk when it was announced.. cheeky   :D
Last edited by zarababe on Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:23 pm

mrcool2003 wrote:milan is a good team but 2 b honest, the group they were in wasn't the hardest to be fair, i think man utd could beat milan if they can defend well and score away

chelsea i think will beat barcelona

arsenal, well 50/50 i think, will be tough

but dont forget leverkusen beat real madrid 3-0 in the group stage so i mean its not gonna be easy, we play like we did against olympiakios in the 1st half we will be punished, we need 2 excellent performances to go through and if we do, it will be fantastic for us, im confident we will

But to be fair Real madrid defended like a sunday league team they needed a defensive midfielder they haven't replaced maklele since he joined Chelsea. They should of gone for Alonso when the Vieria deal fell through the key to us is keeping a clean sheet and scoring more than once at home and rafa getting the tactis right  :) .
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:50 pm

Delighted with the draw.As the boss said,we should be more settled by then and playing with a bit more purpose.Couple of new players as well with a bit of luck.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:45 pm

Best draw in terms of our chances of progressing so its got to be good. On saying that I guess Leverkusen are saying much the same thing. Neither has the glamour tie but its a close match up and gives two of the weaker teams a chance to progress further. Its going to be close so lets hope luck falls on our side.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:51 pm

The Draw takes you back to that defining moment in LFC's recent History when GH removed Hamann from the field of play after a hour in the Away leg and probabbly cost us the game. The Mancs awaited us in the Semi'snad we were very much theuir bogey side and I would have fancied us to beta them over 2 legs,  but it was not to be , what  sickener that night was.......  :down:

Leverkusen is as good as it gets at this stage in the CL and we have been fortunate but then again we are due a little luck and if we get past this fixture and hopefuly secure the services of a provewn striker who is NOT inelligible for the CL then who knows maybe thsi season will exceed most of our expectations , here's hoping :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion