V newcastle united

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:10 pm

It has been one hell of a season so far hasn't it? I don't know what the rest of you expected from our squad in their first year under Benitez. I did not expect us to win the Premiership or to win the Champions League but while we are not perfect finishing in the top four is not easy,not impossible and we have been in tougher situations and circumstances before so I do not understand why finishing in the top four is such a shocker to some.

While Houllier did the best he could his best was simply not good enough in order to hold the Premiership and Champions League title. Benitez is totaly different than Houllier, in a good way. His signings have been cheap and 2/4 have been briliant[Garcia and Alonso, Josemi has been inconsistant and Nunez needs more time]. He has shown his brlianace and understanding of the game and you can not blame the Rafa for a defender's mistake. Rafa has faith in the players he's working with so when he brings on Josemi at the last minute he believes that Josemi can handle the pressure for that minute but Josemi has been caught out of position so many times that it has led us to conceeding a goal.

The point of me mentioning this is that it will not take a day,three weeks, six months for Benitez to get where he wants us. Injuries have made a negative impact on us as we've lost key players in a short period of time. We are able to bounce back there is no doubt but old habits die hard. I put faith in the players and in the manager and I believe that we will be better in the second part of the season.

Our rivals, Manchester United defeated Arsenal. A week later they were beaten by the likes of Portsmouth and didn't find it easy to get on a good run of games and neither have we. These things take time. I for one wrote off Man Utd at the begining because I didn't think they could come back but they have and if those ****** can do it we can as well.

Come January we will have no players that will surely strengthen our squad.

While we have one of the best records at home our away record is poor. Last year it was a different story because our home form was poor and our away form was good. We lack consistancy and I think with time under a manager such as Benitez we will get consistancy. Did it take Fergie a year to win the Premiership? Did it take Wenger a year to win the Premiership? Hell David Moyes has been at Everton for three years and this is his first time that he got Everton into the top.

Point is that things will take time. Have faith in the players and the manager. Nobody is perfect so the players and even the manager will make mistakes. As I've said we've been in tough situations before and we've pulled it off at the end, we can do it again.

Now we face Newcastle United next week at home. Newcastle have been like us in a way. Both us and Newcastle have had chances to score in games and could not do so which caused both to lose points. Both have an unstable away form, both have a hard time putting games away.

Newcastle are inconsistent and have their players of their own injured but they will be no walk in the park. One of the worst things in football you can do is underestimate the opposition so don't expect it to be a "pretty" game. While yesterday's game was a bit disapointing we can get the three points from Newcastle.

One more thing. This whole Steven Gerrard drama has been tiredsome. I'm tired of hearing Steven Gerrard will do this and that. I simply do not care what happens to Steven Gerrard in the transfer window. I care about the team as a whole because this is not Steven Gerrard Football Club. He is a briliant talented young player and any team would miss him but we will not fall on our asses without him, we've proven that haven't we?

What happens in January and in the summer happens, nobody can prevent anything but what we can do is talk about what's important and that is LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB not Steven Gerrard Football Club.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:18 pm

Despite the doom and gloom, I still stick to my pre-season prediction that we'll finish fourth.

Unfortunately I think we'll be well off the pace of the eventual winners and possibly almost as far off as last year, as our form will continue to be sloppy in patches from here to May.

However, while our results won't be dramatically better than last year, I think our overall play will progressively improve, and we'll start laying the basis for future success.

A lot depends on what happens off the pitch: if matters remain as they are and David Moores stays I think it'll be 2 or 3 years before we'll realistically challenge for the title. If a major investor or big money new owners come in then its possible it could happen earlier, but as things stand, I see us suffering a lot of pain over the next couple of seasons, but these will be growing pains, and the law of averages dictate that either Man UTD or Arsenal will suffer some serious problems (relatively speaking) in the next few years as they come to the end of their success cycle.

Unfortunately I think Chelsea are on the threshold of a new era of dominance, and I say that for many reasons. They have serious cash, but their current squad is also top notch and their manager could be one of the all time greats yet.  :(
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 100-1102639321 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:21 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Despite the doom and gloom, I still stick to my pre-season prediction that we'll finish fourth.

Unfortunately I think we'll be well off the pace of the eventual winners and possibly almost as far off as last year, as our form will continue to be sloppy in patches from here to May.

However, while our results won't be dramatically better than last year, I think our overall play will progressively improve, and we'll start laying the basis for future success.

A lot depends on what happens off the pitch: if matters remain as they are and David Moores stays I think it'll be 2 or 3 years before we'll realistically challenge for the title. If a major investor or big money new owners come in then its possible it could happen earlier, but as things stand, I see us suffering a lot of pain over the next couple of seasons, but these will be growing pains, and the law of averages dictate that either Man UTD or Arsenal will suffer some serious problems (relatively speaking) in the next few years as they come to the end of their success cycle.

Unfortunately I think Chelsea are on the threshold of a new era of dominance, and I say that for many reasons. They have serious cash, but their current squad is also top notch and their manager could be one of the all time greats yet.  :(

couldnt agree more

think we need to be patience, we need a serious cash injection
100-1102639321

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:23 pm

You say we need to be patient but you for one aren't patient.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:25 pm

we need a striker. not a major cash injection. benitez has shown what he can do with the squad but if we havent got players who can score theres not much hope and that brings down the donfidence.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:29 pm

CL qualification is still hugely important, as we haven't the luxury of completely writing off the season and allow Benitez time to experiment.

However, I think we can forget about breaking into the top 3, although I think 4th is very realistic.

Next year will be different, as I feel we will improve, but the January signings are absolutely crucial.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 100-1102639321 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:32 pm

A.B. wrote:

i know but i hate it when players dont make an effort, i.e. against portsmouth
100-1102639321

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:38 pm

dapioneer wrote:
A.B. wrote:

So you admit that you're a hypocrite?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 100-1102639321 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:49 pm

A.B. wrote:
dapioneer wrote:
A.B. wrote:

ye, but im still gonna bum you
100-1102639321

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:52 pm

dapioneer wrote:
A.B. wrote:
dapioneer wrote:
A.B. wrote:

ye, but im still gonna bum you

???  ???  ???
jonnymac1979

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:53 pm

My thoughts exactly Johnny.

At least he's not ashamed of what he is.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:56 pm

What is exactly "bum"? How is he going to "bum" me?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:56 pm

He doesn't even try and endear himself to people does he?
jonnymac1979

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:57 pm

A.B. wrote:What is exactly "bum"? How is he going to "bum" me?

Do you really want to know?
jonnymac1979

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:57 pm

A.B. wrote:What is exactly "bum"? How is he going to "bum" me?

You DO NOT want that question answered, nor to find out first hand!  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion